A previous version of this study was presented at the International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies Conference on November 3, 2011 in Baltimore, Maryland. This research was partially supported by grants from the National Institute on Drug Abuse (R21 DA020667 Martins; R03 DA023434).
Mental Disorders Associated With Subpopulations of Women Affected by Violence and Abuse
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
Copyright © 2013 International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
Journal of Traumatic Stress
Volume 26, Issue 4, pages 459–466, August 2013
How to Cite
Cavanaugh, C. E., Martins, S. S., Petras, H. and Campbell, J. C. (2013), Mental Disorders Associated With Subpopulations of Women Affected by Violence and Abuse. J. Traum. Stress, 26: 459–466. doi: 10.1002/jts.21821
- Issue published online: 9 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2013
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. Grant Numbers: R21 DA020667 Martins, R03 DA023434
Violence against women is a major public health problem associated with mental disorders. Few studies have examined the heterogeneity of interpersonal violence and abuse (IVA) among women and associated mental health problems. Latent class analysis was used to identify subpopulations of women with similar lifetime histories of IVA victimization and to examine 10 associated past-year mental disorders. Participants were 19,816 adult women who participated in Wave 2 of the National Epidemiologic Study on Alcohol and Related Conditions (NESARC). The 3-class model was best supported by the data. Class 1 (6.7%) had a high probability of witnessing domestic violence as a child. Class 2 (21.8%) had a low probability of all events except lifetime sexual assault. Class 3 (71.5%) had a low probability for all events. Mental disorders were more common among members of Classes 1 and 2 than Class 3. For example, members in Class 1 were approximately 8 and 9 times more likely than members in Class 3 to have had posttraumatic stress disorder or a drug use disorder, respectively, during the past year. Of the 10 mental disorders, 5 were more common among members of Class 1 than of Class 2. Findings suggest the mental health consequences of IVA among women are extensive and interventions should be tailored for distinct subpopulations affected by IVA.
Traditional and Simplified Chinese Abstracts by AsianSTSS