Associate Editor: Gary White.
Management and Conservation
Estimating size and trend of the North Interlake woodland caribou population using fecal-DNA and capture–recapture models†
Article first published online: 5 APR 2012
Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2012
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 76, Issue 6, pages 1153–1164, August 2012
How to Cite
Hettinga, P. N., Arnason, A. N., Manseau, M., Cross, D., Whaley, K. and Wilson, P. J. (2012), Estimating size and trend of the North Interlake woodland caribou population using fecal-DNA and capture–recapture models. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 76: 1153–1164. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.380
- Issue published online: 23 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 5 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 8 DEC 2010
- Unknown funding agency
- Alberta Woodland Caribou Recovery Team. 2005. Alberta woodland caribou recovery plan 2004/05 2013/14. Alberta Sustainable Resource Development, Fish and Wildlife Division, Alberta, Edmonton, Canada.
- 1999. Using POPAN-5 to analyse banding data. Bird Study 46( Supplement): S157–S168. , and .
- 2010. Uninformative parameters and model selection using Akaike's Information Criterion. Journal of Wildlife Management 74: 1175–1178.
- 2011. Land management strategies for the recovery of boreal woodland caribou in central Saskatchewan. Rangifer (Special Issue No.) 19: 33–48. , and .
- 2010. Integrating multiple analytical approaches to spatially delineate and characterize genetic population structure: an application to boreal caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in central Canada. Conservation Genetics 11: 2131–2143. , , , and .
- 2007. Characterization of target nuclear DNA from faeces reduces technical issues associated with the assumptions of low-quality and quantity template. Conservation Genetics 8: 577–586. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Estimating population size of elusive animals with DNA from hunter-collected feces: four methods for brown bears. Conservation Biology 19: 150–161. , , , , and .
- 1994. A genetic-linkage map for cattle. Genetics 136: 619–639. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Sources of heterogeneity bias when DNA mark-recapture sampling methods are applied to grizzly bear (Ursus arctos) populations. Canadian Journal of Zoology 85: 618–624. , , and .
- 2011. Estimating abundance of Sitka black-tailed deer using DNA from fecal pellets. Journal of Wildlife Management 75: 232–242. , , , , and .
- 2010. The relative effects of habitat loss and fragmentation on population genetic variation in the red-cockaded woodpecker (Picoides borealis). Molecular Ecology 19: 3679–3691. , , and .
- 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Second edition. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 2011. Program MARK—a gentle introduction. Ninth edition. <http://www.phidot.org/software/mark/docs/book/>. Accessed 20 Jun 2011. , and .
- 2003. An aerial survey technique for the forest dwelling ecotype of woodland caribou. Canadian Field Naturalist 117: 546–554. , , , , and .
- 2003. Population size estimation in Yellowstone wolves with error-prone non-invasive microsatellite genotypes. Molecular Ecology 12: 2003–2009. , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Variation in mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite DNA in caribou (Rangifer tarandus) in North America. Journal of Mammalogy 86: 495–505. , , and .
- Ecological Stratification Working Group. 1995. A national ecological framework for Canada. Agriculture and Agri-food Canada, Research Branch, Centre of Land and, Biological Resources Research; and Environment Canada, State of the Environment Directorate, Ecozone Analysis Branch, Ottawa/Hull, Ontario, Canada.
- Environment Canada. 2008. Scientific review of the identification of critical habitat for woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou), boreal population, in Canada. Environment Canada, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Environment Canada. 2011. National Climate Data and Information Archive. <http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca>. Accessed 12 Jul 2011.
- 2007. Spatial graphs: principles and applications for habitat connectivity. Ecosystems 10: 448–461. , , , and .
- 2003. Reliable microsatellite genotyping of the Eurasian badger (Meles meles) using faecal DNA. Molecular Ecology 12: 1649–1661. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13: 58–63. , , and .
- 2011. Patch-based graphs for landscape connectivity: a guide to construction, analysis and application for conservation. Biological Conservation 144: 44–55. , , and .
- 2012. ALLELEMATCH: an R package for identifying unique multilocus genotypes where genotyping error and missing data may be present. Molecular Ecology Resources DOI: 10.1111/j.1755-0998.2012.03137.x , , , , and .
- 2010. Argali abundance in the Afghan Pamir using capture-recapture modeling from fecal DNA. Journal of Wildlife Management 74: 668–677. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Field surveys of capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) in the Swiss Alps underestimated local abundance of the species as revealed by genetic analyses of non-invasive samples. Conservation Genetics 11: 33–44. , , , , and .
- 2008. Hair collection. Pages 141–182. in R. A. Long, P. MacKay, W. J. Zielinski, and J. C. Ray, editors. Noninvasive survey methods for carnivores. Island Press, Washington D.C., USA. , and .
- 1997. Facts from feces revisited. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12: 223–227. , and .
- 1999. Estimating population size by genotyping faeces. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 266: 657–663. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Modelling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecological Monographs 62: 67–118. , , , and .
- Manitoba Conservation. 2006. Manitoba's conservation and recovery strategy for boreal woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou). <http://www.manitoba.ca/conservation>. Accessed 15 Nov 2010.
- 2001. Determination of ecological boundaries for the establishment and management of Canadian National Park. Pages 294–302. in and D., Harmon, editor. Crossing boundaries in park management. Proceedings of the 11th conference on research and resource management in parks and on public lands. The George Wright Society, Hancock, Michigan, USA. , , and .
- 2004. Low genotyping error rates in wild ungulate faeces sampled in winter. Molecular Ecology Notes 4: 772–775. , , , , and .
- 2004. Genetic errors associated with population estimation using non-invasive molecular tagging: problems and new solutions. Journal of Wildlife Management 68: 439–448. , and .
- 2003. Declines in populations of woodland caribou. Journal of Wildlife Management 67: 755–761. , , , and .
- 2000. Estimating animal abundance using noninvasive DNA sampling: promises and pitfalls. Ecological Applications 10: 283–294. , , , , and .
- 2007. Estimation of population size for wolverines Gulo gulo at Daring Lake, Northwest Territories, using DNA based mark-recapture methods. Wildlife Biology 13( Suppl 2): 38–51. , , and .
- 1993. Evaluation of mark-resight model assumptions for estimating mountain sheep numbers. Journal of Wildlife Management 57: 436–450. , , , , and .
- 1978. Statistical inference from capture data on closed animal populations. Wildlife Monographs 62: 1–135. , , , and .
- 2003. An empirical exploration of data quality in DNA-based population inventories. Molecular Ecology 12: 1375–1387.
- 1997. Genetic tagging of humpback whales. Nature 388: 767–769. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Effect of sample age and season of collection on the reliability of microsatellite genotyping of faecal DNA. Wildlife Research 31: 485–493.
- 1982. A capture-recapture design robust to unequal probability of capture. Journal of Wildlife Management 46: 752–757.
- 2005. Genotyping errors: causes, consequences and solutions. Nature Reviews Genetics 6: 847–859. , , , and .
- 2011. Estimating mountain goat abundance using DNA from fecal pellets. Journal of Wildlife Management 75: 1527–1534. , , , and .
- 1996. Utilization of mark-capture-recapture for the study of recruitment and population growth rate. Biometrics 52: 703–709.
- 1998. Dynamics of woodland caribou populations at the southern limit of their range in Saskatchewan. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76: 251–259. , and .
- 2005a. Evaluating mixed samples as a source of error in non-invasive genetic studies using microsatellites. Molecular Ecology 14: 195–201. , , , and .
- 2005b. A simulation test of the effectiveness of several methods for error-checking non-invasive genetic data. Animal Conservation 8: 203–215. , , and .
- 1982. The estimation of animal abundance and related parameters. Second edition. Charles Griffin and Company Ltd, London and High Wycombe, United Kingdom.
- 1992. Factors limiting woodland caribou populations and their interrelationships with wolves and moose in southeastern British Columbia. Canadian Journal of Zoology 70: 1494–1503.
- 2010. Evaluation of bear rub surveys to monitor grizzly bear population trends. Journal of Wildlife Management 74: 860–870. , , and .
- 1997. Noninvasive tracking of the endangered Pyrenean brown bear population. Molecular Ecology 6: 869–876. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Reliable genotyping of samples with very low DNA quantities using PCR. Nucleic Acids Research 24: 3189–3194. , , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Update COSEWIC status report on the woodland caribou Rangifer tarandus caribou in Canada. Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, Ottawa, Canada. , and .
- 2000. Biases associated with population estimation using molecular tagging. Animal Conservation 3: 191–199. , and .
- 2005. Noninvasive genetic sampling tools for wildlife biologists: a review of applications and recommendations for accurate data collection. Journal of Wildlife Management 69: 1419–1433. , and .
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46: S120–S139. , and .
- 2004. GENECAP: a program for analysis of multilocus genotype data for non-invasive sampling and capture-recapture population estimation. Molecular Ecology Notes 4: 783–785. , and .
- 2002. Analysis and management of animal populations. Academic Press, San Diego, California, USA. , , and .
- 1997. Characterization of microsatellite loci on caribou Rangifer tarandus, and their use in other artiodactyls. Molecular Ecology 6: 697–699. , , , and .
- 2005. Population dynamics of the endangered mountain ecotype of woodland caribou (Rangifer tarandus caribou) in British Columbia, Canada. Canadian Journal of Zoology 83: 407–418. , , , , , , and .
- 1999. Genetic tagging of free-ranging black and brown bears. Wildlife Society Bulletin 27: 616–627. , , , , , and .