Associate Editor: Leonard Brennan
Density Dependence Special Section
Detecting and estimating density dependence in wildlife populations†
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2012
Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2012
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 77, Issue 1, pages 12–23, January 2013
How to Cite
Lebreton, J.-D. and Gimenez, O. (2013), Detecting and estimating density dependence in wildlife populations. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 77: 12–23. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.425
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 APR 2012
- 2012. Estimating the strength of density-dependence in the presence of observation errors using integrated population models. Ecological Modelling 242:1–9. , , , , and .
- 1984. Density-dependence in breeding success of the pied flycatcher (Ficedula hypoleuca). Journal of Animal Ecology 53:969–977. , and .
- 1954. The distribution and abundance of animals. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, Illinois, USA. , and .
- 1988. Effects of population density and supplemental food on reproduction in song sparrows. Journal of Animal Ecology 57:119–136. , and .
- 1998. Morphological responses of white-tailed deer to a severe population reduction. Canadian Journal of Zoology 76:1–5. , , and .
- 2002. Measuring density-dependence in survival from mark-recapture data. Journal of Applied Statistics 29:305–313. , , and .
- 1992. Compensatory mortality in a Colorado Mule Deer population. Wildlife Monographs 121:1–39. , , and .
- 2004. Limiting factors and population regulation. Oikos 105:667–670.
- 2009. Empirical evidence of density-dependence in populations of large herbivores. Pages 313–357 in H. Caswell, editor. Advances in Ecological Research, Vol. 41. Academic Press, Burlington, Massachusetts, USA. , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2006. Strength of evidence for density dependence in abundance time series of 1,198 species. Ecology 87:1445–1451. , and .
- 1975. The statistical analysis of density dependence. Biometrics 31:901–911.
- 2001. Matrix population models. Second edition. Sinauer, Sunderland, Massachusetts, USA.
- 2000. Factors influencing Soay sheep survival. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C-Applied Statistics 49:453–472. , , , , and .
- 2006. Recruitment to a seabird population depends on environmental factors and on population size. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:228–238. , , , , and .
- 2002. Review of methods for fitting time-series models with process and observation error and likelihood calculations for nonlinear, non-Gaussian state-space models. Bulletin of Marine Science 70:455–471.
- 2002. Fitting population models incorporating process noise and observation error. Ecological Monographs 72:57–76. , and .
- 1989. On the stabilization of animal numbers—problems of testing. 1. Power estimates and estimation errors. Oecologia 78:1–8. , and .
- 2000. Joint effects of density dependence and rainfall on abundance of San Joaquin kit fox. Journal of Wildlife Management 64:388–400. , and .
- 1994. Density dependence in time-series observations of natural populations—estimation and testing. Ecological Monographs 64:205–224. , and .
- 2006. Estimating density dependence, process noise, and observation error. Ecological Monographs 76:323–341. , , , , and .
- 2010. Replicated sampling increases efficiency in monitoring biological populations. Ecology 91:610–620. , , and .
- 2005. On the mathematical synthesis of physiological and behavioural mechanisms and population dynamics. Stichting Mathematisch Centrum, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 2006. Census error and the detection of density dependence. Journal of Animal Ecology 75:837–851. , , , and .
- 2001. Effects of density-dependent and stochastic processes on the regulation of cod populations. Ecology 82:567–579. , , , , , and .
- 1987. Measurement error models. Wiley New-York, New York, USA.
- 1996. Body mass of roe deer fawns during winter in 2 contrasting populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 60:29–36. , , , , and .
- 2007. Population growth in snow geese: a modeling approach integrating demographic and survey information. Ecology 88:1420–1429. , , , and .
- 2007. State-space modelling of data on marked individuals. Ecological Modelling 206:431–438. , , , , , , , and .
- 2012. Density dependence: applications in widlife management. Journal of Wildlife Management 76: (8). , and .
- 1994. Time series analysis. Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, USA.
- 2004. Climate forcing and density dependence in a mountain ungulate population. Ecology 85:1598–1610. , , , , and .
- 2004. Density dependence in North American ducks. Animal Biodiversity and Conservation 27:113–128. , and .
- 2008. Estimability of density dependence in models of time-series data. Ecology 89:2994–3000.
- 2012. Are patterns of density dependence in the global population dynamics database driven by observation errors? Ecology Letters 15:17–23. , and .
- 1995. Two paradigms of population regulation. Wildlife Research 22:1–10.
- 1954. The natural regulation of animal numbers. Oxford University Press, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 1989. Statistical methodology for the study of animal populations. Bulletin of the International Statistical Institute 53:267–282.
- 1990. Modelling density dependence, environmental variability, and demographic stochasticity from population counts: an example about Wytham great tits. Pages 89–102 in J. Blondel, A. Gosler, J-.D. Lebreton, and R. McCleery, editors. Population biology of passerine birds an integrated approach. Springer, Berlin, Germany.
- 2009. Assessing density-dependence: where are we left? Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Pages 19–42 in D. L. Thomson, E. G. Cooch, and M. J. Conroy, editors. Modeling demographic processes in marked populations. Springer, New York, New York, USA.
- 1992. Modeling survival and testing biological hypotheses using marked animals: a unified approach with case studies. Ecological Monographs 62:67–118. , , , and .
- 2003. Nonidentifiability of population size from capture–recapture data with heterogeneous detection probabilities. Biometrics 59:1123–1130.
- 2000. WinBUGS—a Bayesian modelling framework: concepts, structure, and extensibility. Statistics and Computing 10:325–337. , , , and .
- 1970. The regression of log(Nt+1) on Log(Nt) as a test of density dependence: an exercise with computer-constructed density-independent populations. Ecology 51:810–822.
- 1798. An essay on the principle of population. Pages 4–16 in G. Hardin, editor. Population, evolution, and birth control: a collage of controversial ideas (1964). Freeman, San Francisco, California, USA.
- 1965. Professor J. B. S. Haldane, FRS. Nature 206:239–240.
- 2003. Lines, models, and errors: regression in the field. Limnology and Oceanography 48:1363–1366.
- 1994. Population regulation in theory and practice. Ecology 75:271–287.
- 2011. Population regulation of territorial species: both site dependence and interference mechanisms matter. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 278:2173–2181. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Experiments on the limitation of bird breeding densities—a review. Ibis 136:397–411.
- 1998. Population limitation in birds. Academic Press, London, United Kingdom.
- 2005. Using demographic invariants to detect overharvested bird populations from incomplete data. Conservation Biology 19:826–835. , and .
- 2011. Impact of density and environmental factors on population fluctuations in a migratory passerine. Journal of Animal Ecology 80:225–234. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2003. JAGS: a program for analysis of Bayesian graphical models using Gibbs sampling. Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Distributed Statistical Computing DSC 2003, 20–22 March 2003, Vienna, Austria.
- 2009. Likelihood ridges and multimodality in population growth rate models. Ecology 90:2313–2320. , , , and .
- 2009. An evaluation of density-dependent and density-independent influences on population growth rates in Weddell seals. Ecology 90:975–984. , , , , , and .
- 1978. The exact moments of the least squares estimator for the autoregressive model. Journal of Econometrics 8:159–172.
- 2005. Generation time and temporal scaling of bird population dynamics. Nature 436:99–102. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1970. Detection of regulation in animal populations. Ecology 51:823–828.
- 2005. On the regulation of populations of mammals, birds, fish, and insects. Science 309:607–610. , , , , and .
- 2003. Seasonality, density dependence, and population cycles in Hokkaido voles. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 100:11478–11483. , , , , , , and .
- 2002. Model complexity and population predictions. The alpine marmot as a case study. Journal of Animal Ecology 71:343–361. , , , and .
- 2001. Instrumental variables in statistics and econometrics. Pages 7577–7582 in N. J. Smelser and P. B. Bates, editors. International encyclopedia of the social and behavioral sciences. Elsevier, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 2002. Gray matters in ecology: dynamics of pattern, process and scientific progress. Bulletin of the Ecological Society of America 83:149–155. , , and .
- 1988. Density dependence in reproduciton of the collared flycatcher (Ficedula alboicollis) at high population levels. Journal of Animal Ecology 57:251–258. , and .
- 1990. Population dynamics in variable environments. Springer, New York, New York, USA.
- 2001. Does population ecology have general laws? Oikos 94:17–26.
- 1838. Notice sur la loi que suit la population dans son accroissement. Correspondence Mathématique et Physique 10. Reprinted in English on Pages 64–66 in E. J. Kormondy, editor. Readings in ecology. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA.