Associate Editor: Jeff Bowman
Management and Conservation
Precommercial forest thinning alters abundance but not survival of snowshoe hares†
Article first published online: 16 JUL 2012
Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2012
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 77, Issue 1, pages 84–92, January 2013
How to Cite
Abele, S. L., Wirsing, A. J. and Murray, D. L. (2013), Precommercial forest thinning alters abundance but not survival of snowshoe hares. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 77: 84–92. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.426
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 16 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 10 NOV 2011
- 2000. Null hypothesis testing: problems, prevalence, and an alternative. Journal of Wildlife Management 64:912–923. , , and .
- 2005. Effects of precommercial thinning on snowshoe hare habitat use during winter in low-elevation montane forests. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35:206–210. , and .
- 1968. A weight-length relationship for evaluating physical condition of cottontails. Journal of Wildlife Management 32:835–841.
- 1990. A note on confidence intervals and bands for the survival curve based on transformation. Scandinavian Journal of Statistics 17:35–41. , and .
- 1984. Effect of late winter food addition on numbers and movements of snowshoe hares. Oecologia 62:393–400.
- 1986. Proximate causes of losses in a snowshoe hare population. Canadian Journal of Zoology 64:606–610. , , , and .
- 1999. Precommercial thinning in a northern conifer stand: 18-year results. Forestry Chronicle 75:967–972. , , , and .
- 1977. Field and laboratory methods for general ecology. W.C. Brown Company, Dubuque, Iowa, USA. , and .
- 1998. Model selection and inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 2011. AIC model selection and multimodel inference in behavioral ecology: some background, observations, and comparisons. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 65:23–35. , , and .
- Canadian Council on Animal Care. 1984. Guide to the Care and Use of Experimental Animals, 2 volumes. Canadian Council on Animal Care, Ottawa, Canada.
- 2004. Biotelemetry: a mechanistic approach to ecology. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 19:334–343. , , , , , , and .
- 1972. Regression models and life tables (with discussion). Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B 34:187–220.
- 1984. Analysis of survival data. Chapman and Hall, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 2007. Land use change around protected areas: management to balance human needs and ecological function. Ecology 17:1031–1038. , , , , and .
- 2005. Response of small mammals to clear-cutting and precommercial thinning in mixed forests of southeastern Quebec. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 35:2813–2822. , , and .
- 2007. Landscape modification and habitat fragmentation: a synthesis. Global Ecology and Biogeography 16:265–280. , and .
- 2009. Loss of functional diversity under land use intensification across multiple taxa. Ecology Letters 12:22–33. , , , , , , , , and .
- 2005. Global consequences of land use. Science 309:570–574. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. Prospects for tropical forest biodiversity in a human-modified world. Ecology Letters 12:561–582. , , , , , , and .
- 2007. Precommerical thinning reduces snowshoe hare abundance in the short term. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:559–564. , and .
- 1965. Seasonal acclimatization in varying hare (Lepus americanus). Canadian Journal of Zoology 43:731–744. , , and .
- 1999. Proximate factors affecting snowshoe hare movements during a cyclic population low phase. Ecoscience 6:487–496.
- 2004. Structural differences between precommercially thinned and unthinned conifer stands. Forest Ecology and Management 194:131–143. , , and .
- 2007. Effects of precommercial thinning on snowshoe hares in Maine. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:4–13. , , and .
- 1999. Applied survival analysis: regression modeling of time to event data. John Wiley and Sons, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 1981. Role of food in hare population cycles. Oikos 40:385–395.
- 1993. Dynamics of a snowshoe hare population in a fragmented habitat. Canadian Journal of Zoology 71:1385–1392. , , and .
- 1984. Demography and ecology of a declining snowshoe hare population. Wildlife Monographs 90:1–43. , , , and .
- 1968. Techniques for snowshoe hare population studies. Journal of Wildlife Management 32:801–812. , , and .
- 2003. Survival analysis: techniques for censored and truncated data. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 1999. Ecological methodology. Second edition. Addison Wesley Longman, Inc., Menlo Park, California, USA.
- 1990. Behavioral decisions made under the risk of predation: a review and prospectus. Canadian Journal of Zoology 68:619–640. , and .
- 1995. Forest disturbance, forest wildlife conservation and the conservation basis for forest management in the mountain ash forests of Victoria—Comment. Forest Ecology and Management 74:223–231.
- 2006. General management principles and a checklist of strategies to guide forest biodiversity conservation. Biological Conservation 131:433–445. , , and .
- 2005. Bridging the gaps between agricultural policy, land-use and biodiversity. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 20:610–616. , and .
- 1999. An assessment of overwinter food limitation on a snowshoe hare population at a cyclic low. Oecologia 120:50–58.
- 2002. Differential body condition and vulnerability to predation in snowshoe hares. Journal of Animal Ecology 71:614–625.
- 2006. On improving telemetry-based survival estimation. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:1530–1543.
- 1997. Interactive effects of sublethal nematodes and nutritional status on snowshoe hare vulnerability to predation. Journal of Animal Ecology 66:250–264. , , and .
- 2002. Estimating low density snowshoe hare populations using fecal pellet counts. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:771–781. , , , , and .
- 1977. Quantifying the vegetative structure of wildlife cover. Wildlife Society Bulletin 5:113–117.
- 1979. Interaction of snowshoe hares and woody vegetation. Journal of Wildlife Management 43:43–60. , , and .
- 1983. Habitat selection by snowshoe hares in north-central Minnesota. Journal of Wildlife Management 47:686–696. , and .
- 1989. Survival analysis in telemetry studies: the staggered entry design. Journal of Wildlife Management 53:7–15. , , , and .
- 2001. Tropical forest management and conservation of biodiversity: an overview. Conservation Biology 15:7–20. , , , , and .
- 1996. Owl predation on snowshoe hares: consequences of antipredator behaviour. Oecologia 108:303–310. , and .
- 2004. Projecting wildlife responses to alternative future landscapes in Oregon's Willamette Basin. Ecological Applications 14:381–400. , , , , and .
- 1985. Survival of snowshoe hares at a geographic range boundary. Journal of Wildlife Management 49:854–866. , and .
- 1988. Influence of stand thinning on snowshoe hare population dynamics and feeding damage in lodgepole pine forest. Journal of Applied Ecology 25:791–805. , and .
- 2002. Influence of conventional and chemical thinning on stand structure and diversity of plant and mammal communities in young lodgepole pine forest. Forest Ecology and Management 170:173–187. , , , and .
- 2007. Long-term responses of ecosystem components to stand thinning in young lodgepole pine forest IV. Relative habitat use by mammalian herbivores. Forest Ecology and Management 240:32–41. , , , and .
- 2009. Stand structure and the abundance and diversity of plants and small mammals in natural and intensively managed forests. Forest Ecology and Management 258:S127–S141. , , , and .
- 2010. Long-term responses of mammalian herbivores to stand thinning and fertilization in young lodgepole pine (Pinus contorta var. latifolia) forest. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:2302–2312. , , , and .
- 2008. Effects of silvicultural treatments on forest biodiversity indicators in the Mediterranean. Forest Ecology and Management 255:3322–3330. , and .
- 1974. Home range and survival of cottontail rabbits in southwestern Wisconsin. Journal of Wildlife Management 67:352–371. , and .
- 2011. Behavioral responses to human-induced environmental change. Biological Reviews 86:640–657. , and .
- 1997. Human domination of Earth's ecosystems. Science 277:494–499. , , , and .
- 2002. Patterns of consumption in woody browse by snowshoe hares in the northwestern United States. Ecoscience 9:440–449. , and .
- 2007. Food supplementation experiments revisited: verifying that supplemental food is used by its intended recipients. Canadian Journal of Zoology 85:679–685. , and .
- 2002a. A demographic analysis of a southern snowshoe hare population in a fragmented habitat: evaluating the refugium model. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:169–177. , , and .
- 2002b. Noninvasive estimation of body composition in small mammals: a comparison of conductive and morphometric techniques. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 75:489–497. , , and .
- 1980. The role of habitat patchiness in the population dynamics of snowshoe hares. Ecological Monographs 50:111–130.
- 1999. Biostatistical analysis. Fourth edition. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, USA.
- 2009. A meta-analysis of the effects of wildfire, clearcutting, and partial harvest on the abundance of North American small mammals. Forest Ecology and Management 258:539–545.