Associate Editor: Gary C. White
Management and Conservation
Abiotic, bottom-up, and top-down influences on recruitment of Rocky Mountain elk in Oregon: A retrospective analysis†
Article first published online: 26 JUL 2012
Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2012
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 77, Issue 1, pages 102–116, January 2013
How to Cite
Johnson, B. K., Coe, P. K. and Green, R. L. (2013), Abiotic, bottom-up, and top-down influences on recruitment of Rocky Mountain elk in Oregon: A retrospective analysis. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 77: 102–116. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.427
- Issue published online: 3 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 26 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 26 OCT 2011
- 2010. Uninformative parameters and model selection using Akaike's Information Criterion. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1175–1178.
- 2008. Elk calf survival and mortality following wolf restoration to Yellowstone National Park. Wildlife Monographs 169. , , and .
- 1993. Quality of bluebunch wheatgrass (Agropyron spicatum) as a winter range forage for Rocky Mountain elk (Cervus elaphus nelsoni) in the Blue Mountains of Oregon. Dissertation, Oregon State University, Corvallis, USA.
- 2002. Model selection and inference: a practical information-theoretic approach. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 1939. Relationship between elk and mule deer in the Blue Mountains of Oregon. Transactions North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 4:560–569.
- 2001. Responses of elk and mule deer to cattle in summer. Journal of Range Management. 54:205, A51–A76. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Spatial and temporal interactions of elk, mule deer and cattle. Transactions North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 69:656–669. , , , and .
- 2011. Validating of elk resource selection models with spatially independent data. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:159–170. , , , , , and .
- 2001. Age, sex, density, winter weather, and population crashes in Soay sheep. Science 292:528–531. , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of summer-autumn nutrition and parturition date on reproduction and survival of elk. Wildlife Monographs 155. , , , , , , and .
- 2001. Development of predictive models of nutritional condition for Rocky Mountain elk. Journal of Wildlife Management 65:973–987. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Elk population processes in Yellowstone National Park under the policy of natural regulation. Ecological Applications 6:573–593. , and .
- 2002. A paradigm for population analysis of long-lived vertebrates. Ecology 83:2841–2854.
- 1970. A study of sex differential in the survival of wapiti. Canada Wildlife Service Report, Serial Number 11. Queens Printer, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.
- Fossil Creek Software. 1999. POP-II system documentation version1. Fossil Creek Software, Fort Collins, CO.
- 1987. A review of density dependence in populations of large mammals. Pages 401–441 in H. H. Genoways, editor. Current mammalogy, Vol. 1. Plenum Press, New York, New York, USA.
- 1973. Natural vegetation of Oregon and Washington U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Technical Report PNW-GTR-8:1-417, Portland, Oregon, USA. , and .
- 1998. Population dynamics of large herbivores: variable recruitment with constant adult survival. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 13:58–63. , , and .
- 2003. Climate-induced variation in vital rates of an unharvested large-herbivore population. Canadian Journal of Zoology 81:33–45. , , , and .
- 2011. Neonatal mortality of elk driven by climate, predator phenology, and predator community composition. Journal of Applied Ecology 80:1246–1257. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Evaluating the accuracy of ages obtained by two methods for Montana ungulates. Journal of Wildlife Management 64:441–449. , , , , and .
- 2008. Inferences about ungulate population dynamics derived from age ratios. Journal of Wildlife Management 72:1143–1151. , , and .
- 2002. Elk population dynamics in areas with and without predation by recolonizing wolves in Banff National Park, Alberta. Canadian Journal of Zoology 80:789–799. , , and .
- 2010a. Seasonal effects of Pacific-based climate on recruitment in a predator-limited large herbivore. Journal of Animal Ecology 79:471–482. , , , , , and .
- 2010b. Interaction effect of wolves and climate on recruitment in a northern mountain caribou population. Oikos 119:1453–1461. , , , and .
- 2004. Drought and Pacific decadal oscillation linked to fire occurrence in the inland Pacific Northwest. Ecological Applications 14:425–442. , , and .
- 2002. Annual and decadal climate forcing of historical fire regimes in the interior Pacific Northwest, USA. Holocene 12:597–604. , , and .
- 1981. Diet quality and performance of cattle on forest and grassland range. Journal of Animal Science 53:291–298. , , and .
- 1967. The relationship of tree overstory and herbaceous understory vegetation. Journal of Range Management 20:247–249.
- 1992. Plant associations of the Blue and Ochoco Mountains. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, R6-ERW-TP-036-92. Portland, Oregon, USA. , and .
- 2004. Issues of elk productivity for research and management. North American Wildlife and Natural Resources Conference 69:551–571. , , and .
- 2002. A predictive population model for cougars in Oregon. Northwest Science 76:15–25. , and .
- 1968. The introduction, increase and crash of reindeer on St. Matthew Island. Journal of Wildlife Management 32:350–367.
- 2010. Effects of weather and climate on the dynamics of animal population time series. Proceedings Royal Society B 278:985–992. , and .
- 1999. Adaptive fetal sex allocation in elk: evidence and implications. Journal of Wildlife Management 63:1109–1117.
- 2002. Two complementary paradigms for analyzing population dynamics. Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society London B 357:1211–1219.
- 2005. Estimating the number of animals in wildlife populations. Pages 106–154 in C. E. Braun, editor. Techniques for wildlife investigations and management. Sixth edition. The Wildlife Society, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. , , , and .
- 1998. Short- and long-term effects of winter and spring weather on growth and survival of red deer in Norway. Oecologia 116:489–500. , and .
- 1995. Effect of grazing background and flushing supplementation on reproductive performance in Sarda ewes. Small Ruminant Research 17:245–254. , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Investigations of calf elk mortalities in southeast Washington: study completion report. Pittman Robinson Project W-96-R. Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, Olympia, USA. , , , and .
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration [NOAA]. 2012. Climate Prediction Center. Camp Springs Maryland. USA <http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensocycle/soi.shtml>. Accessed 1 Feb 2012.
- National Research Council. 1985. Nutrient requirements of sheep. Sixth edition. National Academy Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2009. Behavioral responses of North American elk to recreational activity. Journal of Wildlife Management 73:328–338. , , and .
- 1999. Effects of secretion removal on bovine mammary gland function following an extended mild stasis. Journal of Dairy Science 82:1723–1730. , and .
- 1996. Effects of bull age on pregnancy rates and conception dates of cow elk. Journal of Wildlife Management 60:508–517. , , , , and .
- Oregon Department of Fish Wildlife. 2003. Oregon's elk management plan. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Salem, USA.
- Oregon Department of Fish Wildlife. 2006. Oregon's cougar management plan. Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife, Salem, USA.
- 1984. Thermoregulation in mule deer and elk. Canadian Journal of Zoology 62:1409–1422. , and .
- PRISM Climate Group. 2010. <http://www.prism.oregonstate.edu>. Accessed 2 Feb 2011.
- 1982. Relationships between overstory structure and understory production in the grand fir/myrtle boxwood habitat type of northcentral Idaho. Journal of Range Management 35:769–773. , and .
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2007. Impact of spatial and temporal variation in juvenile survival on the growth of elk populations. Journal of Wildlife Management 71:795–803. , , and .
- 2002. The statistical sleuth: a course in methods of data analysis. Duxbury, Pacific Grove, California, USA. , and .
- 2005. Survival and birth-site selection of Rocky Mountain elk in northeastern Oregon. Thesis, Oregon State University, Corvallis, USA.
- 2000. Modification of mixed conifer forests by ruminant herbivores in the Blue Mountains ecological province. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, General Technical Report PNW-RP-527, Portland, Oregon, USA. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Elk distribution and modeling in relation to roads. Journal of Wildlife Management 65:672–684. , , , and .
- 1997. Environmental stochasticity and population dynamics of large herbivores: a search for mechanisms. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 12:143–149.
- 2003. Analysis of elk statistics 1965–2001 Wallowa, Wenaha-Snake, and Umatilla-Whitman Provinces. Wallowa-Whitman National Forest, Baker City, Oregon, USA. , and .
- 2010. Influence of density and climate on population dynamics of a large herbivore under harsh environmental conditions. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1671–1685. , , , and ,
- 1997. Density dependence, compensation, and environmental effects on elk calf mortality in Yellowstone National Park. Journal of Wildlife Management 61:12–25. , , , and .
- 1985. The effects of density-dependent resources limitations on the demography of wild reindeer. Journal of Animal Ecology 54:359–374.
- 1967. Fluctuations in forage quality on summer range in the Blue Mountains. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, Research Paper PNW-44, Portland, Oregon, USA.
- 2002. Elk habitat selection and evaluation. Pages 531–556 in D. E. Toweill and J. W. Thomas, editors. North American elk: ecology and management. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C., USA. , , and .
- 2003. Studying climate effects on ecology through the use of climate indices: the North Atlantic Oscillation, El Nino Southern Oscillation and beyond. Proceedings The Royal Society London 270:2087–2096. , , , , , , , and .
- 1988. Habitat-effectiveness index for elk on Blue Mountain winter ranges. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, General Technical Report PNW-GTR-218, Portland, Oregon, USA. , , , , and .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2010. <http://2010.census.gov/2010census/data/>. Accessed 23 May 2011.
- U.S. Forest Service. 2011. Elk habitat selection in Western Oregon and Washington: models for a new century. <http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/calendar/workshop/elk/index.shtml>. Accessed 6 Mar 2012.
- 1980. Drought effects on cattle performance, diet quality, and intake. Proceedings, Western Section, American Society of Animal Science 31:157–160. , and .
- 2004. The influence of top-down, bottom-up and abiotic factors on the moose (Alces alces) population of Isle Royale. Proceeding Royal Society London B 271:183–189. , and .
- 1999. Program MARK: survival estimation from populations of marked animals. Bird Study 46:S120–S139. , and .
- 2005. Northern Yellowstone elk after wolf restoration. Wildlife Society Bulletin 33:942–955. , and .
- 2010. Influence of predator harvest, biological factors, and landscape on elk calf survival in Idaho. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:355–369. , , and .
- 1986. A model to evaluate elk habitat in western Oregon. U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service Publication R6-F&WL-216-1986, Portland, Oregon, USA. , , , , , , , and .