Associate Editor: Terry Messmer
Management and Conservation
Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
Copyright © The Wildlife Society, 2013
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 77, Issue 3, pages 545–554, April 2013
How to Cite
Reynolds, J. C., Richardson, S. M., Rodgers, B. J. E. and Rodgers, O. R. K. (2013), Effective control of non-native American mink by strategic trapping in a river catchment in mainland Britain. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 77: 545–554. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.500
Re-use of this article is permitted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions set out at http://wileyonlinelibrary.com/onlineopen#OnlineOpen_Terms.
- Issue online: 25 MAR 2013
- Version of Record online: 24 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 SEP 2011
- Unknown funding agency
- 2006. Alien mink predation induces prolonged declines in archipelago amphibians. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 273(1591): 1261–1265. , , , , and .
- 1998. The role of habitat and mink predation in determining the status and distribution of water voles in England. Animal Conservation 1: 129–137. , , , and .
- 1988. Animal traps and trapping. David and Charles, London, United Kingdom.
- 2007. The American mink in Europe: status, impacts and control. Biological Conservation 134: 470–483. , and .
- 2007. Trapping for mink control and water vole survival: identifying key criteria using a spatially explicit individual based model. Biological Conservation 136: 636–650. , , and .
- 2010. Turning back the tide of American mink invasion at an unprecedented scale through community participation and adaptive management. Biological Conservation 144: 575–583. , , , , , and .
- Department of the Environment. 1995. Biodiversity: the UK steering group report—volume II: action plans (annex F and annex G). HMSO, London, Available online at http://jncc.defra.gov.uk/PDF/UKBAP_BiodivUKSGRep-Vol2-Tranche1-Annfg.pdf. Accessed 11 Sep 2012.
- 1993. The mink. T. & A.D. Poyser, London, United Kingdom.
- Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust. 2012. Mink trapping in the River Monnow Catchment. www.gwct.org.uk/documents/Monnow_maps.pdf. Accessed 11 Sep 2012.
- 1993. Age determination in the red fox (Vulpes vulpes L.) from tooth cementum lines. Gibier Faune Sauvage 10: 173–187. , and .
- 1906. Mink trapping. Harding AR Publishing Co., Columbus, Ohio, USA.
- 2009. American mink control on inland rivers in southern England: an experimental test of a model strategy. Biological Conservation 142: 839–849. , , , , , and .
- 2003. The water vole and mink survey of Britain 1996–1998 with a history of the long term changes in the status of both species and their causes. The Vincent Wildlife Trust, Ledbury, United Kingdom.
- 1991. A review of age determination methods for the stoat Mustela erminea . Mammal Review 21: 31–49.
- 2009. Why is eradication of invasive mustelids so difficult? Biological Conservation 142: 806–816. , , , and .
- 1999. United States public attitudes regarding predators and their management to enhance avian recruitment. Wildlife Society Bulletin 27: 75–85. , , , and .
- 2009. Effects of habitat quality upon reintroduction success in water voles: evidence from a replicated experiment. Biological Conservation 142: 53–60. , , and .
- National Research Council Subcommittee on Furbearer Nutrition. 1968. Nutrient requirements of mink and foxes (nutrient requirements of domestic animals, no. 7). National Academy Press, Washington, DC, USA.
- 2003. Effects of feral mink removal on seabirds, waders and passerines on small islands in the Baltic Sea. Biological Conservation 109: 359–368. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Effects of island isolation and feral mink removal on bird communities on small islands in the Baltic Sea. Journal of Animal Ecology 73: 424–433. , and .
- 2012. Empirical development of strategy for the control of invasive American mink by trapping. European Journal of Wildlife Research 58: 403–413. , , , and .
- 2009. American mink: the art of the possible and national aspirations for biodiversity. International Urban Ecology Review 4: 74–82.
- 2010. Detectability of American mink using rafts to solicit field signs in a population control context. Journal of Wildlife Management 74: 1601–1606. , , , , and .
- 2004. Development of population control strategies for mink Mustela vison, using floating rafts as monitors and trap sites. Biological Conservation 120: 533–543. , , and .
- 2009. The GWCT Mink Raft. Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust, Hampshire, UK, http://www.gwct.org.uk/documents/gwct_mink_raft_guidelineslr2009.pdf. Accessed 11 Sep 2012. , , , , and .
- River Lugg Internal Drainage Board. 2010. Biodiversity Action Plan. www.riverluggidb.org.uk/documents/BAP.pdf. Accessed 11 Sep 2012.
- 2004. Trout monitoring on the River Monnow. Game conservancy review 35: 99–99. The Game Conservancy Trust, Fordingbridge, United Kingdom.
- 2007. Effect of River Monnow restoration on trout. Game Conservancy Review 38: 14–15. The Game Conservancy Trust, Fordingbridge, United Kingdom.
- 1998. Water vole conservation handbook. Wildlife Conservation Research Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 2010. Estimating costs and outcomes of invasive American mink (Neovison vison) management in continental areas: a framework for evidence based control and eradication. Biological Invasions 12: 2999–3012. , , and .