Associate Editor: David Euler
Decrease in horn size and increase in age of trophy sheep in Alberta over 37 years
Article first published online: 5 DEC 2013
© The Wildlife Society, 2013
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 78, Issue 1, pages 133–141, January 2014
How to Cite
Festa-Bianchet, M., Pelletier, F., Jorgenson, J. T., Feder, C. and Hubbs, A. (2014), Decrease in horn size and increase in age of trophy sheep in Alberta over 37 years. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 78: 133–141. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.644
- Issue published online: 27 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 5 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 8 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 FEB 2013
- 2009. Human-induced evolution caused by unnatural selection through harvest of wild animals. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:9987–9994. , and .
- 2009. Age-dependent relationship between horn growth and survival in wild sheep. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:161–171. , , , and .
- 2008. Evolutionary rebound from selective harvesting. Trends in Ecology and Evolution 23:117–118.
- 2002. Age-dependent sexual selection in bighorn rams. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 269:165–172. , , , and .
- 2005. Selection and genetic (co)variance in bighorn sheep. Evolution 59:1372–1382. , , , , and .
- 2003. Undesirable evolutionary consequences of trophy hunting. Nature 426:655–658. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Human predators outpace other agents of trait change in the wild. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 106:952–954. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Harvest-induced disruptive selection increases variance in fitness-related traits. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 276:4163–4171. , , , , , , and .
- 2011. Trophic downgrading of Planet Earth. Science 333:301–306. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Relative allocation to horn and body growth in bighorn rams varies with resource availability. Behavioral Ecology 15:305–312. , , , and .
- 2009. Guns, sheep and genes; when and why trophy hunting may be a selective pressure. Pages 94–107 in B. Dickson, H. J, and B. Adams, editors. Recreational hunting, conservation and rural livelihoods: science and practice. Wiley-Blackwell, London, United Kingdom. , and .
- 2007. Selective harvesting and habitat loss produce long-term life history changes in a mouflon population. Ecological Applications 17:1607–1618. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Harvest regulations and artificial selection on horn size in male bighorn sheep. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:189–197. , and .
- 2009. Avoidance of fisheries-induced evolution: management implications for catch selectivity and limit reference points. Evolutionary Applications 2:324–334.
- 1995. Tusklessness in African elephants—a future trend. African Journal of Ecology 33:230–235. , , and .
- 2008. Rocky mountain bighorn sheep status report—Alberta. Biennial Symposium of the Northern Wild Sheep and Goat Council 16:30–36.
- 1998. Effects of population density on horn development in bighorn rams. Journal of Wildlife Management 62:1011–1020. , , and .
- 2005. Human-induced dwarfing of Himalayan snow lotus, Sassurea laniceps (Asteraceae). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 102:10218–10220. , and .
- 2006. Horn growth rate and longevity: implications for natural and artificial selection in thinhorn sheep (Ovis dalli). Journal of Evolutionary Biology 20:818–828. , , , , and .
- 2010. The role of phenotypic plasticity in responses of hunted thinhorn sheep ram horn growth to changing climate conditions. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 23:783–790. , , , and .
- 1999. Age-specific survival in five populations of ungulates: evidence of senescence. Ecology 80:2539–2554. , , , , and .
- 2009. Father-offspring phenotypic correlations suggest intralocus sexual conflict for a fitness-linked trait in a wild sexually dimorphic mammal. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B 276:4067–4075. , , , and .
- 2013. Effects of harvest, culture and climate on trends in size of horn-like structures in trophy ungulates. Wildlife Monographs 183:1–26. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Selective harvesting of large mammals: how often does it result in directional selection? Journal of Applied Ecology 48:827–834.
- 2008. The timing of male reproductive effort relative to female ovulation in a capital breeder. Journal of Animal Ecology 77:469–477. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Selectivity of harvesting differs between local and foreign roe deer hunters: trophy stalkers have the first shot at the right time. Biology Letters 2:632–635. , , and .
- 2012. Data from selective harvests underestimate temporal trends in quantitative traits. Biology Letters 8:878–881. , , and .
- 2011. Reduced horn size in two wild trophy-hunted species of Caprinae. Wildlife Biology 17:102–112. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2000. Mixed-effects models in S and S-PLUS. Springer-Verlag, New York, New York, USA. , and .
- 2006. Implications of the difference between true and predicted breeding values for the study of natural selection and micro-evolution. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 19:309–320.
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2013. Hunter selection and long-term trend (1881–2008) of red deer trophy sizes in Hungary. Journal of Applied Ecology 50:168–180. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Compensatory growth limits opportunities for artificial selection in Alpine chamois. Journal of Wildlife Management 74:1024–1029. , and .
- 2007. Evolutionary response to size-selective mortality in an exploited fish population. Proceedings of the Royal Society B-Biological Sciences 274:1015–1022. , , and .
- 2004. Do harvest refuges buffer kangaroos against evolutionary responses to selective harvesting? Ecology 85:2003–2017. , , , and .
- 2012. Bighorns and little horns revisited. Biennial Symposium of the Northern Wild Sheep And Goat Council 15:28–32.