Current address: 103 Allwine Hall, University of Nebraska—Omaha, Omaha, Nebraska 68182, USA.
Post-fledging survival in passerine birds and the value of post-fledging studies to conservation
Version of Record online: 6 FEB 2014
© The Wildlife Society, 2014
The Journal of Wildlife Management
Volume 78, Issue 2, pages 183–193, February 2014
How to Cite
Cox, W. A., Thompson, F. R., Cox, A. S. and Faaborg, J. (2014), Post-fledging survival in passerine birds and the value of post-fledging studies to conservation. The Journal of Wildlife Management, 78: 183–193. doi: 10.1002/jwmg.670
Associate Editor: David King.
- Issue online: 26 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 6 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUN 2013
- United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service Northern Research Station
- Department of Interior's Northeast Climate Science Center
- 1999. Logistic regression using SAS: theory and application. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- 1997. Juvenile survival in a population of Neotropical migrant birds. Conservation Biology 11:698–707. , , , and
- 1998. Postfledging dispersal, habitat use, and home-range size of juvenile wood thrushes. Auk 115:349–358. , , and ,
- 2005. Increasing the accuracy of productivity and survival estimates in assessing landbird population status. Conservation Biology 19:66–74. , and .
- 1985. Problems in estimating age-specific survival rates from recovery data of birds ringed as young. Journal of Animal Ecology 54:89–98. , , and .
- 2011. Postfledging survivorship and habitat selection across a rural-to-urban landscape gradient. Auk 128:293–302. , and .
- 2011. Population demography of gray catbirds in the suburban matrix: sources, sinks and domestic cats. Journal of Ornithology 152:717–726. , , and .
- 2010. Meta-analysis of transmitter effects on avian behaviour and ecology. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 1:180–187. , , and .
- 2007. Postfledging survival and movement in dickcissels (Spiza americana): implications for habitat management and conservation. Auk 124:396–409. , , and .
- 2011. Extension of landscape-based population viability models to ecoregional scales for conservation planning. Biological Conservation 144:2041–2053. , , and .
- 2009. Introduction to meta-analysis. John Wiley and Sons Ltd., Chichester, United Kingdom. , , , and .
- 2004. Juvenile survival and recruitment of wood thrushes Hylocichla mustelina in a forest fragment. Journal of Avian Biology 35:316–326. , and .
- 2012. Nest predation risk and growth strategies of passerine species: grow fast or develop traits to escape risk? American Naturalist 180:285–295. , and .
- 2004. Survival, habitat use, and movements of fledgling white-throated robins (Turdus assimilis) in a Costa Rican agricultural landscape. Auk 121:404–414. , and .
- 2008. Can we improve estimates of juvenile dispersal distance and survival? Ecology 89:3349–3361. , , and .
- 2012. Reevaluating the cost of natal dispersal: post-fledging survival of red-bellied woodpeckers. Condor 114:341–357. , and .
- 1987. A stage-based population model for loggerhead seas turtles and implications for conservation. Ecology 68:1412–1423. , , and .
- 2000. Comparative seasonal fecundity of four Neotropical migrants in middle Appalachia. Condor 102:653–663. , , , , and .
- 2003. Evolution of avian locomotion: correlates of flight style, locomotor modules, nesting biology, body size, development, and the origin of flapping flight. Auk 120:941–952.
- 2001. Modeling the ecological trap hypothesis: a habitat and demographic analysis for migrant songbirds. Ecological Applications 11:871–882. , and
- 1993. CRC handbook of avian body masses. CRC Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
- 2011. Influence of forest management on pre- and post-fledging productivity of a Neotropical migratory songbird in a highly fragmented landscape. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 41:2009–2019. , , , and .
- 2010. Conserving migratory land birds in the New World: do we know enough? Ecological Applications 20:398–418. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1991. Ectoparasitism and the role of green nesting material in the European starling. Oecologia 88:22–29. , , and .
- 2003. Post-fledging survival of juvenile wood thrush in fragmented and contiguous landscapes. Disertation, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA.
- 2011. Post-fledging dispersal, habitat use, and survival of Sprague's pipits: are planted grasslands a good substitute for native? Biological Conservation 144:263–271. , and .
- 2006. Critical demographic parameters for declining songbirds breeding in restored grasslands. Journal of Wildlife Management 70:145–157. , , and .
- 2005. Inter-population variation in demographic parameters: a neglected subject? Oikos 111:209–214. , , and .
- 2012. A new approach to the “apparent survival” problem: estimating true survival rates from mark–recapture studies. Ecology 93:1509–1516. , , , and .
- 2001. Post-fledging care, philopatry and recruitment in brown thornbills. Journal of Animal Ecology 70:505–514. , and .
- 1980. Demographic aspects of long-distance migration. Pages 493–504 in A. Keast, and E. S. Morton, editors. Migrant birds in the neotropics: ecology, behavior, distribution, and conservation. Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2008. Influence of temperatures during the nestling period on post-fledging survival of great tit Parus major in a Mediterranean habitat. Journal of Avian Biology 39:41–49. , , and .
- 2008. Fitness consequences of pre- and post-fledging timing decisions in a double-brooded passerine. Ecology 89:2736–2745. , and .
- 2010. Brood overlap and male ornamentation in the double-brooded barn swallow. Behavioral Ecology 21:513–519. , and .
- 1991. Determinants and consequences of nestling condition in song sparrows. Journal of Animal Ecology 60:995–1008. , and .
- 2011. Postfledging survival of grasshopper sparrows in grasslands managed with fire and grazing. Condor 113:429–437. , , , , and .
- 2010. Survival, dispersal, and early migration movements of captive-bred juvenile eastern loggerhead shrikes (Lanius ludovicianus migrans). Biological Conservation 143:2578–2582. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Postfledging survival of eastern bluebirds in an urbanized landscape. Journal of Wildlife Management 75:1082–1093. , , and .
- 1973. Spring migration of the western flycatcher, with notes on seasonal changes in sex and age ratios. Bird-Banding 44:205–220.
- 2004. Postfledging movements and survival of juvenile eastern meadowlarks (Sturnella magna) in Illinois. Auk 121:1146–1154. , , and .
- 2012. Bayesian population analysis using WinBUGS. Academic Press, San Diego, California, USA. , and .
- 2006. Habitat selection and habitat-specific survival of fledgling ovenbirds (Seiurus aurocapilla). Journal of Zoology 269:414–421. , , , and .
- 1989. Postfledging survival of European starlings. Ecology 70:646–655. , , and .
- 2002. Demographic and population responses of Cape May warblers wintering in multiple habitats. Ecology 83:2502–2515. , and .
- 1976. Body size and longevity in birds. Condor 78:91–94. , and .
- 2005. Linking demographic effects of habitat fragmentation across landscapes to continental source-sink dynamics. Ecological Applications 15:1504–1514. , , , , and .
- 2006. Sex, age and season influence morphometrics in the New Zealand stitchbird (or Hihi; Notiomystis cincta). Emu 106:297–304.
- 2009. Patterns of mortality for each life-history stage in a population of the endangered New Zealand stitchbird. Journal of Animal Ecology 78:761–771. , and .
- 1991. Nestling weight and juvenile survival in the blackbird, Turdus merula. Journal of Animal Ecology 60:335–351.
- 2006. Seasonal fecundity of sagebrush Brewer's sparrow (Spizella breweri breweri) at the northern edge of its breeding range. Auk 123:512–523. , , and .
- 2001. Consequences of dominance-mediated habitat segretation in American redstarts during the nonbreeding season. Auk 118:92–104. , and .
- 2003. Use of regenerating clearcuts by late-successional bird species and their young during the post-fledging period. Forest Ecology and Management 183:127–135. , , , , and .
- 2001. Post-fledging survival, dispersal, and habitat use in two migratory shrubland bird species. Thesis, Purdue University, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA.
- 2012. Demography of greater prairie-chickens: regional variation in vital rates, sensitivity values, and population dynamics. Journal of Wildlife Management 76:987–1000. , , , and .
- 2008. Correlates of postfledging survival, the timing of dispersal, and local recruitment in American dippers. Canadian Journal of Zoology 86:875–881. , and .
- 2011. Early life events carry over to influence pre-migratory condition in a free-living songbird. PLoS ONE 6:e28838. , , , , and .
- 2012. Timing of breeding carries over to influence migratory departure in a songbird: an automated radiotracking study. Journal of Animal Ecology 81:1024–1033. , , , and .
- 2010. Effects of forest management on postfledging survival of rose-breasted grosbeaks (Pheucticus ludovicianus). Auk 127:185–194. , , , and .
- 2001. Differential post-fledging survival of great and coal tits in relation to their condition and fledging date. Journal of Animal Ecology 70:730–738. , , and .
- 2008. The migration ecology of birds. Academic Press, San Diego, California, USA.
- 2007. Seasonal interactions, habitat quality, and population dynamics in migratory birds. Condor 109:535–547. , and .
- 1965. Population fluctuations and clutch-size in the great tit, Parus major L. Journal of Animal Ecology 34:604–647.
- Poole. A. editor. 2005. The birds of North America online. Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York, USA.
- 1988. Sources, sinks, and population regulation. American Naturalist 132:652–661.
- 2013. Each life stage matters: the importance of assessing the response to climate change over the complete life cycle in butterflies. Journal of Animal Ecology 82:275–285. , , and .
- 1981. Age ratios and their possible use in determining autumn routes of passerine migrants. Wilson Bulletin 93:164–188.
- 2006. Physiological effects on demography: a long-term experimental study of testosterone's effects on fitness. American Naturalist 167:667–683. , , , , , , , , and .
- 1973. Fecundity, mortality, and avian demography. Pages 366–434 in and D. S. Farner, editor Breeding biology of birds. National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 1995. Regional forest fragmentation and the nesting success of migratory birds. Science 267:1987–1990. , , , , and .
- 2008. Survival of fledgling hooded warblers (Wilsonia citrina) in small and large forest fragments. Auk 125:183–191. , and .
- 2000. Avian life histories: is extended parental care the southern secret? Emu 100:377–399.
- 2009. Post-fledgling survival of the cooperatively breeding puff-throated bulbul (Alophoixus pallidus). Condor 111:675–683. , , and .
- SAS Institute Inc. 2008. SAS/STAT 9.2 user's guide. SAS Institute, Cary, North Carolina, USA.
- 2008. Wood thrush nest success and post-fledging survival across a temporal pulse of small mammal abundance in an oak forest. Journal of Animal Ecology 77:830–837. , , and .
- Schulenberg. T. S. editor. 2010. Neotropical birds. Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Ithaca, New York, USA.
- 2007. Persistence of forest birds in the Costa Rican agricultural countryside. Conservation Biology 21:482–494. , , , , and .
- 1996. Habitat quality, population limitation, and conservation of Neotropical-Nearctic migrant birds. Ecology 77:36–48. , and .
- 2013. Residential edges as ecological traps: postfledging survival of a ground-nesting passerine in a forested urban park. Auk 130:501–511. , , and .
- 2002. Variation in survivorship of a migratory songbird throughout its annual cycle. Journal of Animal Ecology 71:296–308. , and .
- 1992. The evolution of life histories. Oxford University Press, New York, New York, USA.
- 2010. How hazardous is the Sahara Desert crossing for migratory birds? Indications from satellite tracking of raptors. Biology Letters 6:297–300. , , , and .
- 2011. Seasonal productivity in a population of migratory songbirds: why nest data are not enough. Ecosphere 2:art78. doi: 10.1890/ES1810-00187.00181 , and .
- 1988. Postfledging survival of European starlings exposed as nestlings to an organophosphorus insecticide. Ecology 69:590–601. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Juvenile mortality increases with clutch size in a neotropical bird. Ecology 86:3238–3244. , , and .
- 2007. Survival of postfledging grassland birds in Missouri. Condor 109:781–794. , , , , and .
- 1989. Predation and starvation: age-specific mortality in juvenile juncos (Junco phaenotus). Journal of Animal Ecology 58:275–286.
- 2011. Brood size and late breeding are negatively related to juvenile survival in a neotropical migratory songbird. Auk 128:716–725. , , , , and .
- 2010. The post-fledging period in a tropical bird: patterns of parental care and survival. Journal of Avian Biology 41:479–487. , and .
- 2011. Pre-reproductive survival in a tropical bird and its implications for avian life histories. Ecology 92:1271–1281. , , , and .
- 1999. A method for studying post-fledging survival rates using data from ringing recoveries. Bird Study 46:S104–S111. , , and .
- United States North American Bird Conservation Initiative Committee. 2009. The State of the Birds, United States of America, 2009. U.S. Department of Interior, Washington, D.C., USA.
- 2006. Can regenerating clearcuts benefit mature-forest songbirds? An examination of post-breeding ecology. Biological Conservation 127:477–486. , and .
- 2011. Influence of condition and habitat use on survival of post-fledging songbirds. Condor 113:400–411. , and .
- 1994. Natal philopatry in passerine birds: genetic or ecological influences. Behavioral Ecology 5:426–433. , and .
- 2005. Post-fledging survival, resource selection, and dispersal of juvenile Swainson's thrushes in central coastal California. Dissertation, University of Missouri, Columbia, USA.
- 2000. Impact of brood parasitism on nest survival parameters and seasonal fecundity of six songbird species in southeastern old-field habitat. Condor 102:946–950. , , and .
- 2009. Species-specific survival and relative habitat use in an urban landscape during the postfledging period. Auk 126:288–299. , and .
- 2009. Survival and movements of fledgling western bluebirds. Southwestern Naturalist 54:248–252.
- 2009. Habitat quality, nestling diet, and provisioning behaviour in great tits Parus major. Journal of Avian Biology 40:135–145. , , and .
- 1997. Age-related differences in the stopover of fall landbird migrants on the coast of Alabama. Auk 114:695–707. , and .
- 1988. Paternal influence on growth and survival of dark-eyed junco young: do parental males benefit? Animal Behaviour 36:1601–1618. , , and
- 1978. Growth and survival of young Florida scrub jays. Wilson Bulletin 90:1–18.
- 2001. Movements and survival of lark bunting fledglings. Condor 103:643–647. , , and .
- 2006. Modeling post-fledging survival of lark buntings in response to ecological and biological factors. Ecology 87:178–188. , , and .
- 2007. Finite study areas and vital rates: sampling effects on estimates of spotted owl survival and population trends. Journal of Applied Ecology 44:963–971. , , and .