The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.
Wire grill brush bristle as an unusual foreign body: Report of two pediatric cases†
Article first published online: 9 JAN 2012
Copyright © 2011 The American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society, Inc.
Volume 122, Issue 3, pages 685–687, March 2012
How to Cite
Arganbright, J. M., Bruegger, D. E., Sykes, K. J. and Wei, J. L. (2012), Wire grill brush bristle as an unusual foreign body: Report of two pediatric cases. The Laryngoscope, 122: 685–687. doi: 10.1002/lary.23183
- Issue published online: 21 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 9 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 5 DEC 2011
- Manuscript Received: 9 NOV 2011
- Foreign body;
- wire grill brush;
- Level of Evidence: 4.
Wire grill brushes are commonly used for cleaning grill grates. Accidental ingestion of a wire bristle from a grill-cleaning brush is a rarely reported foreign body, with only three prior case reports. Although scarce in the literature, we encountered two pediatric cases at the regional children's hospital within 1 year. By presenting these two cases, our goal was to raise awareness of this potentially hazardous foreign body. Additionally, we raise a consumer safety issue associated with the use of wire grill-cleaning brushes as there are currently no ingestion hazard warnings on these products. Laryngoscope,, 2011