Get access

Airway management for intubation in newborns with pierre robin sequence

Authors

  • Alexander P. Marston BA,

    1. Medical School, University of Minnesota , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Timothy A. Lander MD,

    1. Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota (research site; , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    2. Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Robert J. Tibesar MD,

    1. Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota (research site; , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    2. Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Search for more papers by this author
  • James D. Sidman MD

    Corresponding author
    1. Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota (research site; , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    2. Department of Otolaryngology, University of Minnesota , Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
    • Pediatric ENT Associates, Children's Specialty Center, 2530 Chicago Avenue South, Suite 450, Minneapolis, MN 55404
    Search for more papers by this author

  • Dr. Sidman is a consultant for Medtronic Inc. The authors have no other funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.

Abstract

Objectives/Hypothesis:

To review airway management in Pierre Robin sequence (PRS) newborns undergoing general anesthesia and to determine if endotracheal intubation is safe in this population.

Study Design:

Case series and retrospective chart review at a tertiary children's hospital.

Methods:

PRS newborns who underwent endotracheal intubation or other airway intervention before 3 months of age between January 2000 and July 2011 were identified from a pediatric otolaryngology practice database. Indications for airway intervention, anesthetic management, method of intubation, and comorbid conditions were collected.

Results:

Thirty-three PRS newborns were identified. Twenty had isolated PRS, and 13 had PRS related to a coexisting syndrome. Thirteen of 35 (37%) endotracheal intubations performed in PRS newborns prior to mandibular distraction osteogenesis were accomplished with direct laryngoscopy. The remaining 22 of 35 (63%) who failed intubation with direct laryngoscopy were intubated over a flexible fiberoptic bronchoscope. No significant difference was observed between the isolated and syndromic PRS newborns with regard to technique utilized for intubation. No patient required rescue laryngeal mask airway or emergent tracheotomy, and no case resulted in death.

Conclusions:

This series demonstrates that endotracheal intubation is safe and effective in PRS newborns. In patients who failed intubation with direct laryngoscopy, intubation over a flexible fiberoptic bronchoscope provided a reliable alternative method. Although airway management in PRS newborns poses a significant challenge, experienced otolaryngologists and anesthesiologists can successfully manage these difficult airway cases.

Ancillary