The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.
Head and Neck
Outdoor grilling hazard: Wire bristle esophageal foreign body—a report of six cases†
Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
Copyright © 2012 The American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society, Inc.
Volume 122, Issue 10, pages 2216–2218, October 2012
How to Cite
Harlor, E. J., Lindemann, T. L. and Kennedy, T. L. (2012), Outdoor grilling hazard: Wire bristle esophageal foreign body—a report of six cases. The Laryngoscope, 122: 2216–2218. doi: 10.1002/lary.23407
- Issue published online: 20 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 2 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 9 APR 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2012
- foreign body;
- wire brush;
Esophageal foreign bodies are frequently encountered, with coin ingestion the most common in the pediatric population and fish bone ingestion the most common in the adult population worldwide. Many people cook with outdoor grills and use wire brushes to clean them. We present the largest case series with six adult cases involving ingestion of wire brush bristles from food prepared on outdoor grilling surfaces. The occurrence of six cases within a small geographic area over a relatively brief time span raises important safety concerns and warrants attention to prevent serious complications.