Outdoor grilling hazard: Wire bristle esophageal foreign body—a report of six cases

Authors

  • Evan J. Harlor DO,

    Corresponding author
    1. Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania, U.S.A
    • Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, M.C. 13-33, 100 N. Academy Avenue, Danville, PA 17821
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Timothy L. Lindemann MD,

    1. Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania, U.S.A
    Search for more papers by this author
  • Thomas L. Kennedy MD, FACS

    1. Department of Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery, Geisinger Medical Center, Danville, Pennsylvania, U.S.A
    Search for more papers by this author

  • The authors have no funding, financial relationships, or conflicts of interest to disclose.

Abstract

Esophageal foreign bodies are frequently encountered, with coin ingestion the most common in the pediatric population and fish bone ingestion the most common in the adult population worldwide. Many people cook with outdoor grills and use wire brushes to clean them. We present the largest case series with six adult cases involving ingestion of wire brush bristles from food prepared on outdoor grilling surfaces. The occurrence of six cases within a small geographic area over a relatively brief time span raises important safety concerns and warrants attention to prevent serious complications.

Ancillary