ADAPTING TO CLIMATE CHANGE BY IMPROVING WATER PRODUCTIVITY OF SOILS IN DRY AREAS
Article first published online: 24 FEB 2011
Copyright © 2011 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Land Degradation & Development
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 12–21, January/February 2013
How to Cite
Qadir, M., Noble, A. D. and Chartres, C. (2013), ADAPTING TO CLIMATE CHANGE BY IMPROVING WATER PRODUCTIVITY OF SOILS IN DRY AREAS. Land Degrad. Dev., 24: 12–21. doi: 10.1002/ldr.1091
- Issue published online: 20 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 24 FEB 2011
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 14 DEC 2010
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2010
- 1987.Soil Testing Service—Methods and Interpretation.New South Wales Agriculture: Sydney. .
- 1993.Phosphogypsum in agriculture: A review.Advances in Agronomy49:55–118. , .
- 1985.Soil Chemistry.John Wiley & Sons, Inc.: New York, NY. , , .
- 2007.Conserving land—Protecting water. Molden D (ed)Water for Food, Water for Life: A Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture.Earthscan: London;551–583. , , , , .
- 2002.Integrated water management for the 21st century: Problems and solutions.Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering28:193–202. .
- 2003.Irrigation in Central Asia: Social, Economic and Environmental Considerations, The World Bank, February 2003. www.worldbank.org/eca/environment , , , , , .
- 1993.Sodic soils: An introduction to their formation and distribution in Australia.Australian Journal of Soil Research31:751–760. .
- 1995. Soil erosion and its on-farm productivity consequences: What do we know? Resources for the Future: Washington, DC. .
- 2002.Clay dispersion, infiltration and erosion as influenced by exchangeable Ca and Mg.Soil Science167:184–193. , .
- 2003.Physical Properties of Magnesium Affected Soils in Colombia. Lecture given at the College on Soil Physics: Trieste; 3–21 March 2003. .
- 1992.Use of high-Mg brackish water on phosphogypsum and FYM treated saline–sodic soil. I. Soil improvement.Pakistan Journal of Agricultural Sciences29:180–184. , , , .
- 2001.Seed yield and its components of Brachiaria decumbens cv. Basilisk, Digitaria milanjiana cv. Jarra, and Andropogon gayanus cv. Kent in north-east Thailand under different rates of nitrogen application.Tropical Grasslands35:26–33. , , , , .
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC).2007.Climate Change 2007: Synthesis Report—Summary for Decision Makers. IPCC Fourth Assessment Report, pp. 22. Available at: http://www.ipcc.ch/ipccreports/ar4-syr.htm
- IUSS Working Group WRB.2006.World Reference Base for soil resources 2006.World Soils References Reports No. 103.FAO: Rome.
- 1941.Factors of Soil Formation.McGraw-Hill: New York, NY. .
- 2004.Improved on-farm water management strategies in Central Asia. In Ryan J, Vlek P, Paroda R (eds).Agriculture in Central Asia: Research for Development. ICARDA, Aleppo.ICARDA and Center for Development Research: Aleppo and Bonn;76–89. , , , , , , , .
- 2009.The development of magnesium-dominant soils under irrigated agriculture in southern Kazakhstan.Pedosphere19:331–343. , , , , .
- 1984.Studies on the reclaiming effect of Karnal-grass and para-grass grown in a highly sodic soil.Indian Journal of Agricultural Sciences54:189–193. , .
- 2005.Remediation of abandoned saline soils using Glycyrrhiza glabra: A study from the Hungry Steppes of Central Asia.International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability3:103–113. , , , .
- 2001.Physical factors as elated to agricultural potential and limitations in Northeast Thailand. In Kam SP, Hoanh CT, Trébuil G, Hardy B (eds).Natural Resource Management Issues in the Korat Basin of Northeast Thailand: An Overview. Proceedings of the Planning Workshop on Ecoregional Approaches to Natural Resource Management in the Korat Basin, Northeast Thailand. Towards Further Research Collaboration.International Rice Research Institute: Los Baňos;169. .
- 1993.The nature, distribution and management of sodic soils in New South Wales.Australian Journal of Soil Research31:839–868. , , , , .
- 2002.Rehabilitation of degraded sodic lands during a decade of Dalbergia sissoo plantation in Sultanpur district of Uttar Pradesh, India.Land Degradation & Development13:375–386. , , .
- Nellemann C, MacDevette M, Manders T, Eickhout B, Svihus B, Prins AG, Kaltenborn BP (eds).2009.The Environmental Food Crisis—The Environment's Role in Averting Future Food Crises, A UNEP Rapid Response Assessment.United Nations Environment Programme, GRID-Arendal: www.grida.no
- 2000.A cation exchange index for assessing degradation of acid soil by further acidification under permanent agriculture in the tropics.European Journal of Soil Science51:233–243. , , .
- 2003.Quantification of soil chemical degradation and its remediation in tropical Australia, China and Thailand.Pedosphere13:31–39. , , , , , .
- 2004.Enhancing the agronomic productivity of degraded soils in Northeast Thailand through clay-based interventions. InWater and Agriculture, V, Seng E Craswell S, Fukai K Fischer (eds). ACIAR Proceedings:116:147–160. , , , , ,
- 1987.Climatic classification. InThe Encyclopedia of Climatology, Encyclopedia of Earth Science Series 11, JE, Oliver RW Fairbridge (eds).Van Nostrand Reinhold Company Inc.: New York, NY;221–237. , .
- 1982.Gypsum usage in irrigated agriculture: A review.Fertilizer Research3:73–89. .
- 1998.Agricultural management of sodic soils. In Sumner ME, Naidu R (eds).Sodic Soil: Distribution, Management and Environmental Consequences.Oxford University Press: New York, NY;126–147. , .
- 1990.Improving the sustainability of dryland farming systems: a global perspective. InAdvances in Soil Science, Singh RP, Barker JF, Parr BA (eds).13Dryland Agriculture Strategies for Sustainability: New York, NY;1–8. , , , .
- 2006.Resource-conserving agriculture increases yields in developing countries.Environmental Science and Technology40:1114–1119. , , , , , , .
- 2002.Degradation processes and nutrient constraints in sodic soils.Land Degradation & Development13:275–294. , .
- 2007.Emerging challenges addressing the characterization and mapping of salt-induced land degradation. Presented at the First Expert Consultation Meeting of the Global Network on Salinization Prevention and Productive Use of Salt-affected Habitats (SPUSH), 26–29 November 2007, Dubai, United Arab Emirates. , .
- 2002.Amelioration of calcareous saline-sodic soils through phytoremediation and chemical strategies.Soil Use and Management18:381–385. , , .
- 2007a.Non-conventional water resources and opportunities for water augmentation to achieve food security in water scarce countries.Agricultural Water Management87:2–22. , , , , .
- 2007b.Agricultural use of marginal-quality water—Opportunities and challenges. InWater for Food, Water for Life. A Comprehensive Assessment of Water Management in Agriculture; Molden D (ed)Earthscan: London;425–457. , , , , , , .
- 2007c.Phytoremediation of sodic and saline–sodic soils.Advances in Agronomy96:197–247. , , , , .
- 2009.Salt-induced land and water degradation in the Aral Sea basin: A challenge to sustainable agriculture in Central Asia.Natural Resources Forum33:134–149. , , , , , .
- 1986.Influence of magnesium on aggregate stability in sodic Red-Brown Earths.Australian Journal of Soil Research24:229–237. , , .
- 1986.Sodic calcareous soil reclamation as affected by different amendments and crops.Agronomy Journal78:916–920. .
- 2003.Water productivity in rain-fed agriculture: Challenges and opportunities for smallholder farmers in drought-prone tropical agroecosystems. InWater Productivity in Agriculture: Limits and Opportunities for Improvement, Kijne JW, Barker R, Molden DJ (eds).CABI Publishing: Wallingford;145–162. , , .
- 2005.Dryland systems. In Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Current State and Trends (Vol. 1), Millennium Ecosystem Assessment, 623–662. , . (+ 9 lead authors).
- 2009.Economic Gains of Improving Soil Fertility and Water Holding Capacity with Clay Application: The Impact of Soil Remediation Research in Northeast Thailand.International Water Management Institute: Colombo, Sri Lanka;38 (IWMI Research Report 130). , , , .
- 2002.Research to integrate productivity enhancement, environmental protection, and human development.Conservation Ecology5:32. , .
- 1995.Land Degradation in Developing World: Implications for Food, Agriculture and the Environment. 2020 Vision, Food, Agriculture, and the Environment Discussion Paper No. 14.IFPRI: Washington, DC. , .
- 1989.Use of gypsum on soils: A review.Advances in Soil Science9:1–111. , , , , , .
- 2003.Tropical soils and food security: The next 50 years.Science302:1356–1359. .
- 2001.Handbook for the Field Assessment of Land Degradation.Earthscan Publications Ltd, London. , .
- 2007.Improvement in Water-Holding Capacity and Structural Stability of a Sandy Soil in Northeast Thailand.Arid Land Research and Management21:37–49. , , , .
- UNEP.2008. In Dead water. Merging of Climate Change With Pollution, Over-Harvest, and Infestations in the World's Fishing Grounds. UNEP/GRID-Arendal, Arendal.
- 2008.Enhancing the productivity of high-magnesium soil and water resources through the application of phosphogypsum in Central Asia.Land Degradation & Development19:45–56. , , , , , , , .
- 2010.Optimizing the rate and timing of phosphogypsum application to magnesium-affected soil for crop yield and water productivity enhancement.Agricultural Water Management97:1277–1286. , , , , , , , , .
- 2000.Retrogressive succession in old landscapes.Proceedings 42nd International Association of Vegetation Science.Opulus Press: Uppsala.21–23. , , , .
- 2006.Sustainable irrigation is necessary and achievable, but direct costs and environmental impacts can be substantial.Agricultural Water Management86:114–127. , .