- 1Liver transplantation is the main option for patients with early HCC who are not optimal candidates for surgical resection.
- 2Shortage of donors is its main limitation, as waiting for a liver allows the tumor to progress and induce exclusion from the waiting list and death.
- 3The absence of randomized controlled trials hinders the establishment of the most effective therapy to prevent tumor progression while waiting.
- 4Live donation may be a cost-effective approach if optimal results are expected and the mortality risk for the donor is kept below .3%.
- 5Priority policies have to be developed and refined to provide a fair and effective distribution of cadaveric organs. (Liver Transpl 2004;10:S4–S9.)