Telephone: 212-305-4199; FAX: 212-305-8710
Assist devices: Machine preservation of extended criteria donors†
Article first published online: 26 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Supplement: Reaching the Summit: Challenges and Obstacles in Liver Transplantation
Volume 18, Issue Supplement S2, pages S31–S33, November 2012
How to Cite
Guarrera, J. V. (2012), Assist devices: Machine preservation of extended criteria donors. Liver Transpl, 18: S31–S33. doi: 10.1002/lt.23505
Potential conflict of interest: Nothing to report.
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 26 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 5 JUL 2012 04:53PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 19 MAY 2012
1. Hypothermic machine perfusion (HMP) is in its infancy in clinical liver transplantation. Potential benefits include diminished preservation injury (PI) and improved graft function.
2. We have employed HMP in 21 extended criteria donor (ECD livers) at our center with excellent clinical outcomes.
3. Our experience with liver HMP is the only reported clinical experience worldwide representing a total of 41 successful liver transplant cases showing improved outcomes and diminished markers of ischemia/reperfusion injury.
4. Further multicenter and large scale trials are now warranted to further explore the benefits and applicability of liver HMP into the clinical mainstream. Liver Transpl, 2012. © 2012 AASLD.