Telephone: 646-242-6349; FAX: 215-349-5915
Exception point applications for 15 points: An unintended consequence of the Share 15 policy†
Article first published online: 10 OCT 2012
Copyright © 2012 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 18, Issue 11, pages 1302–1309, November 2012
How to Cite
Bittermann, T., Makar, G. and Goldberg, D. (2012), Exception point applications for 15 points: An unintended consequence of the Share 15 policy. Liver Transpl, 18: 1302–1309. doi: 10.1002/lt.23537
The contents of this article are the responsibility of the authors alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies of the Department of Health and Human Services, nor does the mention of trade names, commercial products, or organizations imply endorsement by the US Government.
- Issue published online: 26 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 10 OCT 2012
- Accepted manuscript online: 16 AUG 2012 01:16AM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAY 2012
- National Institutes of Health through the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. Grant Number: 1-F32-DK-089694-01
- Health Resources and Services Administration. Grant Number: 234-2005-370011C
- 3Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network. Policy 3.6. Allocation of livers. http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PoliciesandBylaws2/policies/pdfs/policy_8.pdf. Accessed August 2012.
- 4Model for End-Stage Liver Disease (MELD) exception guidelines: results and recommendations from the MELD Exception Study Group and Conference (MESSAGE) for the approval of patients who need liver transplantation with diseases not considered by the standard MELD formula. Liver Transpl 2006; 12( suppl 3): S128-S136., , , , , , et al.
- 8U.S. Census Bureau. American FactFinder. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/searchresults.xhtml?refresh=t. Accessed August 2012.
- 14OPTN/UNOS Liver and Intestinal Organ Transplantation Committee. Concept document: next steps toward improving liver distribution. http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/SharedContentDocuments/LiverConcept_123010.pdf. Published January 4, 2011. Accessed August 2012.
- 15OPTN/UNOS Liver and Intestinal Organ Transplantation Committee. At-a-glance: proposal for regional distribution of livers for critically ill candidates. http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PublicComment/pubcommentPropSub_288.pdf. Accessed August 2012.