Krishna V. Menon conceptualized the study design and made the final corrections to the article. Abdul R. Hakeem, Andrew J. Cockbain, and Syed S. Raza collected the data needed for the study. Abdul R. Hakeem performed the statistical analysis and wrote the article. Stephen G. Pollard, Giles J. Toogood, Magdy A. Attia, Niaz Ahmad, Ernest L. Hidalgo, and K. Raj Prasad are the liver transplant consultants whose patients were used in this study. All these consultants provided input into the writing and correction of the article.
Increased morbidity in overweight and obese liver transplant recipients: A single-center experience of 1325 patients from the United Kingdom
Article first published online: 17 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 551–562, May 2013
How to Cite
Hakeem, A. R., Cockbain, A. J., Raza, S. S., Pollard, S. G., Toogood, G. J., Attia, M. A., Ahmad, N., Hidalgo, E. L., Prasad, K. R. and Menon, K. V. (2013), Increased morbidity in overweight and obese liver transplant recipients: A single-center experience of 1325 patients from the United Kingdom. Liver Transpl, 19: 551–562. doi: 10.1002/lt.23618
The study abstract was presented as a best oral abstract presentation at the International Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association meeting in Paris, France (July 1-5, 2012). It was also presented as the prize paper of the Association of Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeons for Great Britain and Ireland at the Digestive Disorders Federation meeting in Liverpool, United Kingdom (June 17-20, 2012).
- Issue published online: 25 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 17 MAR 2013
- Accepted manuscript online: 13 FEB 2013 12:50PM EST
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 OCT 2012
- 1Health and Social Care Information Centre. Statistics on obesity, physical activity and diet: England, 2012. http://www.aso.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/downloads/2012/03/2012-Statistics-on-Obesity-Physical-Activity-and-Diet-England.pdf. Published February 23, 2012. Accessed January 2013.
- 7Postoperative morbidity, mortality, costs, and long-term survival in severely obese patients undergoing orthotopic liver transplantation. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96:842-845., , , , , .Direct Link:
- 17Surgical morbidity in severely obese liver transplant recipients—a single Canadian centre experience. Ann Hepatol 2009;8:38-40., , , , , , .
- 23NHS Blood and Transplant. Super urgent liver scheme. http://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/ukt/about_transplants/organ_allocation/liver/liver_organ_sharing_principles/#b. Accessed January 2013.
- 28The impact of severe obesity on post-acute rehabilitation efficiency, length of stay, and hospital costs. J Obes 2012;2012:972365., , , .
- 32Risk factors and dynamics of weight gain in patients after liver transplantation. Ann Transplant 2009;14:45-50., , , , .