Immunity protein release from a cell-bound nuclease colicin complex requires global conformational rearrangement
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 5, pages 853–861, October 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(5): 853–861
- Issue published online: 8 OCT 2013
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 MAR 2013
- Wellcome Trust
- 2009. Allosteric [beta]-propeller signalling in TolB and its manipulation by translocating colicins. EMBO J. 28:2846–2857. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Colicin biology. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 71:158–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Structural dynamics of the membrane translocation domain of colicin E9 and its interaction with TolB. J. Mol. Biol. 318:787–804. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Colicin E2 is still in contact with its receptor and import machinery when its nuclease domain enters the cytoplasm. J. Bacteriol. 189:4217–4222.
- 2013. A force-activated trip switch triggers rapid dissociation of a colicin from its immunity protein. PLoS Biol. 11:e1001489. , , , , , , et al.
- 1996. Identification of putative active-site residues in the DNase domain of colicin E9 by random mutagenesis. J. Mol. Biol. 260:731–742. , , , , and .
- 2005. Cell entry mechanism of enzymatic bacterial colicins: porin recruitment and the thermodynamics of receptor binding. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102:13849–13854. , , , , and .
- 2010. Directed epitope delivery across the Escherichia coli outer membrane through the porin OmpF. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:21412–21417. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Intrinsically disordered protein threads through the bacterial outer-membrane porin OmpF. Science 340:1570–1574. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Border crossings: colicins and transporters. Annu. Rev. Genet. 46:209–231. , and .
- 2010. Swimming against the tide: progress and challenges in our understanding of colicin translocation. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 8:843–848.
- 2001. Immunity proteins: enzyme inhibitors that avoid the active site. Trends Biochem. Sci. 26:624–631. , and .
- 1991. Deletions or duplications in the BtuB protein affect its level in the outer membrane of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 173:5639–5647. , , , , and .
- 2003. The structure of BtuB with bound colicin E3 R-domain implies a translocon. Nat. Struct. Biol. 10:948–954. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Competitive recruitment of the periplasmic translocation portal TolB by a natively disordered domain of colicin E9. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:12353–12358. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. The cytotoxic domain of colicin E9 is a channel-forming endonuclease. Nat. Struct. Biol. 9:476–484. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Structural and mechanistic studies of pesticin, a bacterial homolog of phage lysozymes. J. Biol. Chem. 287:23381–23396. , , , and .
- 2004. Flexibility in the receptor-binding domain of the enzymatic colicin E9 is required for toxicity against Escherichia coli cells. J. Bacteriol. 186:4520–4527. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. A small force remodels a large protein to unleash its deadly potential. PLoS Biol. 11:e1001486.
- 2001. Crystal structure of colicin E3: implications for cell entry and ribosome inactivation. Mol. Cell 8:1053–1062. , , , , and .
- 2011. The unfolding story of anthrax toxin translocation. Mol. Microbiol. 80:588–595. , and .
- 2005. Order in an intrinsically disordered protein: the TolB binding region of colicin E9. Biochemistry 44:11496–11507. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Rapid detection of colicin E9 induced DNA damage using Escherichia coli cells carrying SOS promoter:lux fusions. J. Bacteriol. 187:4900–4907. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Energy-dependent immunity protein release during tol-dependent nuclease colicin translocation. J. Biol. Chem. 284:18932–18941. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Interaction of nuclease colicins with membranes: insertion depth correlates with bilayer perturbation. PLoS One 7:e46656. , , , and .
- 2003. Thermodynamic consequences of bipartite immunity protein binding to the ribosomal ribonuclease colicin E3. Biochemistry 42:4161–4171. , , , and .
- 2007. The role of electrostatics in colicin nuclease domain translocation into bacterial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 282:31389–31397. , , , , and .
- 1992. In vivo and in vitro characterization of overproduced colicin E9 immunity protein. Eur. J. Biochem. 207:687–695. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Protein-protein interactions in colicin E9 DNase-immunity protein complexes. 1. Diffusion-controlled association and femtomolar binding for the cognate complex. Biochemistry 34:13743–13750. , , , and .
- 2008. Crystal structures of the OmpF porin: function in a colicin translocon. EMBO J. 27:2171–2180. , , , , and .
- 2006. The colicin E3 outer membrane translocon: immunity protein release allows interaction of the cytotoxic domain with OmpF porin. Biochemistry 45:10199–10207. , , , and .
- 2008. Primary events in the colicin translocon: FRET analysis of colicin unfolding initiated by binding to BtuB and OmpF. Biochemistry 47:12802–12809. , , , and .
- 2008. Investigating early events in receptor binding and translocation of colicin E9 using synchronized cell killing and proteolytic cleavage. J. Bacteriol. 190:4342–4350. , , , , , and .