The Yersinia enterocolitica Ysa type III secretion system is expressed during infections both in vitro and in vivo
Article first published online: 24 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 962–975, December 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(6): 962–975
- Issue published online: 6 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 24 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 12 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 16 JUL 2013
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Numbers: R21 AI156042, T32 AI60555
- Sandia National Laboratories' LDRD. Grant Numbers: 165767, 171001
- 2006. Yersinia has a tropism for B and T cell zones of lymph nodes that is independent of the type III secretion system. PLoS Pathog. 2:e86. , and .
- 2010. Contribution of BlaA and BlaB beta-lactamases to antibiotic susceptibility of Yersinia enterocolitica biovar 1B. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 54:4000–4002. , and .
- 2012. Concerted actions of a thermo-labile regulator and a unique intergenic RNA thermosensor control Yersinia virulence. PLoS Pathog. 8:e1002518. , , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Yersinia enterocolitica: overview and epidemiologic correlates. Microbes Infect. 1:323–333.
- 2002. Examination of Salmonella gene expression in an infected mammalian host using the green fluorescent protein and two-colour flow cytometry. Mol. Microbiol. 43:1269–1283.
- 2007. Identification of host-induced pathogen genes by differential fluorescence induction reporter systems. Nat. Protoc. 2:770–777. , and .
- 1975. Pathogenecity of Yersinia enterocolitica for mice. Infect. Immun. 11:164–170.
- 2004. YAPI, a new Yersinia pseudotuberculosis pathogenicity island. Infect. Immun. 72:4784–4790. , , , , and .
- 2002. The Yersinia Ysc-Yop ‘type III’ weaponry. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 3:742–752.
- 1989. Yersinia enterocolitica. N. Engl. J. Med. 321:16–24. , and .
- 2006. In vivo, fliC expression by Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium is heterogeneous, regulated by ClpX, and anatomically restricted. Mol. Microbiol. 61:795–809. , , , and .
- 1981. HeLa cell infection by Yersinia enterocolitica: evidence for lack of intracellular multiplication and development of a new procedure for quantitative expression of infectivity. Infect. Immun. 32:48–55. , and .
- 2002. Characterization of the ysa pathogenicity locus in the chromosome of Yersinia enterocolitica and phylogeny analysis of type III secretion systems. J. Mol. Evol. 55:37–51. , , , , and .
- 1996. Molecular genetic bases of Salmonella entry into host cells. Mol. Microbiol. 20:263–271.
- 2000. A chromosomally encoded type III secretion pathway in Yersinia enterocolitica is important in virulence. Mol. Microbiol. 36:1436–1446. , , , and .
- 2006. Application of comparative phylogenomics to study the evolution of Yersinia enterocolitica and to identify genetic differences relating to pathogenicity. J. Bacteriol. 188:3645–3653. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Novel virulence-associated type II secretion system unique to high-pathogenicity Yersinia enterocolitica. Infect. Immun. 71:1872–1879. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Co-ordinate, temperature-sensitive regulation of the three Yersinia enterocolitica flagellin genes. Mol. Microbiol. 17:49–56. , and .
- 1993. Cloning of the YenI restriction endonuclease and methyltransferase from Yersinia enterocolitica serotype O8 and construction of a transformable R-M+ mutant. Gene 136:271–275. , , , , and .
- 2006. Population-based incidence of infection with selected bacterial enteric pathogens in children younger than five years of age, 1996-1998. Pediatr. Infect. Dis. J. 25:129–134. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Analysis of relative gene expression data using real-time quantitative PCR and the 2(-Delta Delta C(T)) Method. Methods 25:402–408. , and .
- 2006. Proteomic and functional analysis of the suite of Ysp proteins exported by the Ysa type III secretion system of Yersinia enterocolitica Biovar 1B. Mol. Microbiol. 59:689–706. , and .
- 2007. Environmental stimuli affecting expression of the Ysa type three secretion locus. Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 603:211–216. , , and .
- 1997. Secretion of Shigella flexneri Ipa invasins on contact with epithelial cells and subsequent entry of the bacterium into cells are growth stage dependent. Infect. Immun. 65:774–782. , , and .
- 1999. The Yersinia enterocolitica pYV virulence plasmid contains multiple intrinsic DNA bends which melt at 37 degrees C. J. Bacteriol. 181:4198–4204. , , , , and .
- 1981. Characteristics of virulence in human isolates of Yersinia enterocolitica. Infect. Immun. 32:400–403. , , and .
- 2000. The Yersinia enterocolitica phospholipase gene yplA is part of the flagellar regulon. J. Bacteriol. 182:2314–2320. , , and .
- 1999. Ferric enterochelin transport in Yersinia enterocolitica: molecular and evolutionary aspects. J. Bacteriol. 181:6387–6395. , , and .
- 1993. Regulation by Ca2+ in the Yersinia low-Ca2+ response. Mol. Microbiol. 8:1005–1010. , , , , and .
- 2006. The complete genome sequence and comparative genome analysis of the high pathogenicity Yersinia enterocolitica strain 8081. PLoS Genet. 2:e206. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Environmental regulation and virulence attributes of the Ysa type III secretion system of Yersinia enterocolitica biovar 1B. Infect. Immun. 73:5961–5977. , and .
- 2004. Regulation of the Ysa type III secretion system of Yersinia enterocolitica by YsaE/SycB and YsrS/YsrR. J. Bacteriol. 186:4056–4066. , and .
- 2009. Synchronous gene expression of the Yersinia enterocolitica Ysa type III secretion system and its effectors. J. Bacteriol. 191:1816–1826. , and .
- 2010. Identification of YsrT and evidence that YsrRST constitute a unique phosphorelay system in Yersinia enterocolitica. J. Bacteriol. 192:5887–5897. , , , and .
- 2013. A phenotype at last: essential role for the Yersinia enterocolitica Ysa type III secretion system in a Drosophila melanogaster S2 cell model. Infect. Immun. 81:2478–2487. , , , , and .
- 2002. YplA is exported by the Ysc, Ysa, and flagellar type III secretion systems of Yersinia enterocolitica. J. Bacteriol. 184:1324–1334. , and .