Contributed equally to the work.
Canonical and non-canonical EcfG sigma factors control the general stress response in Rhizobium etli
Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 976–987, December 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(6): 976–987
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 28 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 16 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 27 JUL 2013
- Belgian Science Policy Office
- Research Council of the KU Leuven. Grant Number: GOA/011/2008
- Fund for Scientific Research-Flanders. Grant Number: G.0412.10
- 2013. The Bartonella quintana extracytoplasmic function sigma factor RpoE has a role in bacterial adaptation to the arthropod vector environment. J. Bacteriol. 195:2662–2674. , and .
- 2009. MEME SUITE: tools for motif discovery and searching. Nucleic Acids Res. 37:W202–W208. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Dual control of Sinorhizobium meliloti RpoE2 sigma factor activity by two PhyR-type two-component response regulators. J. Bacteriol. 192:2255–2265. , , and .
- 2011. The RpoS-mediated general stress response in Escherichia coli. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 65:189–213. , , and .
- 2006. New horizons for (p)ppGpp in bacterial and plant physiology. Trends Microbiol. 14:45–54. , , , , and .
- 2008. Pleiotropic effects of a rel mutation on stress survival of Rhizobium etli CNPAF512. BMC Microbiol. 8:219. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Structural basis for sigma factor mimicry in the general stress response of Alphaproteobacteria. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:E1405–E1414. , , , , , and .
- 2008. A common genomic framework for a diverse assembly of plasmids in the symbiotic nitrogen fixing bacteria. PLoS ONE 3:e2567. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Structural and functional analysis of the fixLJ genes of Rhizobium leguminosarum biovar phaseoli CNPAF512. Mol. Gen. Genet. 249:117–126. , , , , , and .
- 1997. The arginine deiminase pathway in Rhizobium etli: DNA sequence analysis and functional study of the arcABC genes. J. Bacteriol. 179:7403–7409. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Defence of Rhizobium etli bacteroids against oxidative stress involves a complexly regulated atypical 2-Cys peroxiredoxin. Mol. Microbiol. 55:1207–1221. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Rhizobium etli HrpW is a pectin-degrading enzyme and differs from phytopathogenic homologues in enzymically crucial tryptophan and glycine residues. Microbiology 155:3045–3054. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The LovK-LovR two-component system is a regulator of the general stress pathway in Caulobacter crescentus. J. Bacteriol. 194:3038–3049. , , and .
- 2009. Sigma factor mimicry involved in regulation of general stress response. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106:3467–3472. , , , , , and .
- 2012. A conserved RpoS-dependent small RNA controls the synthesis of major porin OmpD. Nucleic Acids Res. 40:3623–3640. , , , and .
- 2008. Requirement of a plasmid-encoded catalase for survival of Rhizobium etli CFN42 in a polyphenol-rich environment. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 74:2398–2403. , , , , , and .
- 2008. PhyR is involved in the general stress response of Methylobacterium extorquens AM1. J. Bacteriol. 190:1027–1035. , , and .
- 2009. The PhyR-sigma(EcfG) signalling cascade is involved in stress response and symbiotic efficiency in Bradyrhizobium japonicum. Mol. Microbiol. 73:291–305. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Structural basis of a protein partner switch that regulates the general stress response of Alpha-proteobacteria. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 109:E1415–E1423. , , , , and .
- 2002. Regulation of sigma factor competition by the alarmone ppGpp. Genes Dev. 16:1260–1270. , , , and .
- 2011. Role of Sphingomonas sp. strain Fr1 PhyR-NepR-sigmaEcfG cascade in general stress response and identification of a negative regulator of PhyR. J. Bacteriol. 193:6629–6638. , , , , , and .
- 2013. The Brucella abortus general stress response system regulates chronic mammalian infection and is controlled by phosphorylation and proteolysis. J. Biol. Chem. 288:13906–13916. , , , , and .
- 2013. The general stress response factor EcfG regulates expression of the C-2 hopanoid methylase HpnP in Rhodopseudomonas palustris TIE-1. J. Bacteriol. 195:2490–2498. , , and .
- 2012. Rhizobium etli taxonomy revised with novel genomic data and analyses. Syst. Appl. Microbiol. 35:353–358. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. A two-component system, an anti-sigma factor and two paralogous ECF sigma factors are involved in the control of general stress response in Caulobacter crescentus. Mol. Microbiol. 80:1598–1612. , , and .
- 2009a. Role of the extracytoplasmic function sigma factor RpoE4 in oxidative and osmotic stress responses in Rhizobium etli. J. Bacteriol. 191:4122–4132. , , , , and .
- 2009b. The Rhizobium etli RpoH1 and RpoH2 sigma factors are involved in different stress responses. Microbiology 155:386–397. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. Characterization of the Rhizobium leguminosarum biovar phaseoli nifA gene, a positive regulator of nif gene expression. Arch. Microbiol. 161:404–408. , , , , and .
- 1998. Differential regulation of Rhizobium etli rpoN2 gene expression during symbiosis and free-living growth. J. Bacteriol. 180:3620–3628. , , , , and .
- 2005. Effective symbiosis between Rhizobium etli and Phaseolus vulgaris requires the alarmone ppGpp. J. Bacteriol. 187:5460–5469. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. GadY, a small-RNA regulator of acid response genes in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 186:6698–6705. , , and .
- 2008. Small RNAs encoded within genetic islands of Salmonella typhimurium show host-induced expression and role in virulence. Nucleic Acids Res. 36:1913–1927. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. A new mathematical model for relative quantification in real-time RT-PCR. Nucleic Acids Res. 29:e45.
- 2010. General stress response in Alpha-proteobacteria: PhyR and beyond. Mol. Microbiol. 78:271–277. , and .
- 2009. The third pillar of bacterial signal transduction: classification of the extracytoplasmic function (ECF) sigma factor protein family. Mol. Microbiol. 74:557–581. , , , , , and .
- 2010. The MiST2 database: a comprehensive genomics resource on microbial signal transduction. Nucleic Acids Res. 38:D401–D407. , and .
- 2003. Only one catalase, katG, is detectable in Rhizobium etli, and is encoded along with the regulator OxyR on a plasmid replicon. Microbiology 149:1165–1176. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Genome-wide detection of predicted non-coding RNAs in Rhizobium etli expressed during free-living and host-associated growth using a high-resolution tiling array. BMC Genomics 11:53. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Stress response regulators identified through genome-wide transcriptome analysis of the (p)ppGpp-dependent response in Rhizobium etli. Genome Biol. 12:R17. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The genome of Rhizobium leguminosarum has recognizable core and accessory components. Genome Biol. 7:R34. , , , , , , et al.