The rhizosphere microbial community in a multiple parallel mineralization system suppresses the pathogenic fungus Fusarium oxysporum
Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 6, pages 997–1009, December 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(6): 997–1009
- Issue online: 6 DEC 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 NOV 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 30 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 18 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 APR 2013
- Research and Development Projects for Application in Promoting New Policy of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
- Ministry of Agriculture
- Forestry and Fisheries of Japan
- 1986. Fusarium wilt suppressive soils from the Chateaurenard region: review of a 10-year study. Agronomie 6:273–284.
- 1997. Gapped BLAST and PSI-BLAST: a new generation of protein database search programs. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:3389–3402. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Interactions in the tomato rhizosphere of two Pseudomonas biocontrol strains with the phytopathogenic fungus Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. radicis-lycopersici. Mol. Plant Microbe Interact. 16:983–993. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Identifying microorganisms involved in specific pathogen suppression in soil. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 45:153–172. , and .
- 2013. Biocontrol of tomato wilt disease by Bacillus subtilis isolates from natural environments depends on conserved genes mediating biofilm formation. Environ. Microbiol. 15:848–864. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. New antibiotics from bacterial natural products. Nat. Biotech. 24:1541–1550. , , and .
- 2012. Assessment of variation in bacterial composition among microhabitats in a mangrove environment using DGGE fingerprints and barcoded pyrosequencing. PLoS ONE 7:e29380. , , , and .
- 1990. Survival and inoculum potential of conidia and chlamydospores of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lini in soil. Can. J. Microbiol. 36:551–556. , and .
- 2003. Fusarium oxysporum: exploring the molecular arsenal of a vascular wilt fungus. Mol. Plant Pathol. 4:315–325. , , , , and .
- 2005. Production and quality of greenhouse roses in recirculating nutrient system. Sci. Hortic. 106:103–113. , , and .
- 2001. Binary culture biofilm formation by Stenotrophomonas maltophilia and Fusarium oxysporum. J. Ind. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 26:178–183. , , and .
- 1970. Induction of chlamydospore formation in Fusarium solani by soil bacteria. Phytopathology 60:479–484. , , and .
- 2003. Race 3, a new race of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lactucae determined by a differential system with commercial cultivars. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 69:23–28. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Physiological relationships between the lettuce root rot pathogen Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lactucae races 1, 2, and 3 based on the sequence of the intergenic spacer region of its ribosomal DNA. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 71:402–407. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Suppression of Ralstonia solanacearum bacterial wilt disease by an organic hydroponic system. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 78:217–220. , , , and .
- 1990. Utilization of the water soluble fraction of wheat straw as a plant nutrient source. NASA Technical Memorandum 107544, NASA, Huntsville, AL. , and .
- 1997. Integration of waste processing and biomass production system as part of the KSC Breadboard project. Adv. Space Res. 20:1821–1826. , , , and .
- 2005. Biological control of soil-borne pathogens by fluorescent pseudomonads. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 3:307–319. , and .
- 2008. Nitrite reductase gene up-regulated during conidiation is involved in macroconidium formation in Fusarium oxysporum. Phytopathology 98:1099–1106. , , , and .
- 1975. Development of a selective medium for quantitative isolation of Fusarium oxysporum from natural soil. Rev. Plant Prot. Res. 8:114–125.
- 2004. Evaluation of the indigenous microorganisms in soilless culture: occurrence and quantitative characteristics in the different growing systems. Sci. Hortic. 101:179–188. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Accumulation of phytotoxic organic acid in reused nutrient solution during hydroponic cultivation of lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.). Sci. Hortic. 110:119–128. , , and .
- 2009. Plant-growth-promoting rhizobacteria. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 63:541–556. , and .
- 2011. Deciphering the rhizosphere microbiome for disease-suppressive bacteria. Science 332:1097–1100. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Bacterial ectosymbionts and virulence silencing in a Fusarium oxysporum strain. Environ. Microbiol. 10:1725–1741. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Volatile organic compounds: a potential direct long-distance mechanism for antagonistic action of Fusarium oxysporum strain MSA 35. Environ. Microbiol. 11:844–854. , , , and .
- 1993. Profiling of complex microbial populations by denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis analysis of polymerase chain reaction-amplified genes coding for 16s rRNA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 59:695–700. , , and .
- 1981. Life cycle and epidemiology of Fusarium oxysporum. Pp. 51–80 in M. E. Mace, A. A. Bell and C. H. Beckman, eds. Fusarium wilt diseases of plants. Academic Press, New York, NY.
- 2011. Multivariate analyses of ecological communities in R: vegan tutorial. Available at http://cc.oulu.fi/~jarioksa/opetus/metodi/vegantutor.pdf (accessed 22 June 2012). .
- 2012. Diversity and natural functions of antibiotics produced by beneficial and plant pathogenic bacteria. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 50:403–424. , and .
- 2002. Antibiotic production by bacterial biocontrol agents. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek 81:537–547. , , and .
- 2001. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 3rd ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , and .
- 1980. Mechanism of biological control in Fusarium-suppressive soil. Phytopathology 70:412–417. , and .
- 2006. Hydroponics with organic fertilizers—a method for building an ecological system of microorganism in culture liquid by a parallel mineralization method. Agric. Hortic. 81:753–764 (in Japanese).
- 2011. Microbial mineralization of organic nitrogen into nitrate to allow the use of organic fertilizer in hydroponics. Soil. Sci. Plant. Nutr. 57:190–203. , , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Biological control of cyclamen soilborne diseases by Serratia marcescens strain B2. Plant Dis. 84:334–340. , , , , , and .
- 1994. Hydroponics, a solution for zoosporic pathogens. Plant Dis. 78:1129–1138. , and .
- 1996. Control of root rot of peppers caused by Phytophthola capsici with a non-ionic surfactant. Plant Dis. 80:221–229. , , , and .
- 1991. Induced resistance and phytoalexin accumulation in biological control of Fusarium wilt of carnation by Pseudomonas sp. strain WCS417r. Phytopathology 81:728–734. , , and .
- 1997. Expression of green fluorescent protein in Aureobasidium pullulans and quantification of the fungus on leaf surfaces. Biotechniques 23:686–690. , , , , and .
- 2002. Microbial population responsible for specific soil suppressiveness to plant pathogens. Annu. Rev. Phytopathol. 40:309–348. , , , and .
- 2005. Physiological races and vegetative compatibility groups of butter head lettuce isolates of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. lactucae in Japan. J. Gen. Plant Pathol. 70:308–313. , , , , and .