Fpk1/2 kinases regulate cellular sphingoid long-chain base abundance and alter cellular resistance to LCB elevation or depletion
Article first published online: 10 FEB 2014
© 2014 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 3, Issue 2, pages 196–212, April 2014
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2014; 3(2): 196–212
- Issue published online: 9 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 10 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 10 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 AUG 2013
- Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan
- 2012. Plasma membrane stress induces relocalization of Slm proteins and activation of TORC2 to promote sphingolipid synthesis. Nat. Cell Biol. 14:542–547. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. RPS6KA2, a putative tumour suppressor gene at 6q27 in sporadic epithelial ovarian cancer. Oncogene 26:683–700. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Designer deletion strains derived from Saccharomyces cerevisiae S288C: a useful set of strains and plasmids for PCR-mediated gene disruption and other applications. Yeast 14:115–132. , , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Minimum information about a microarray experiment (MIAME)-toward standards for microarray data. Nat. Genet. 29:365–371. , , , , , , et al.
- 1987. Cell cycle control of the yeast HO gene: cis- and trans-acting regulators. Cell 48:389–397. , and .
- 1991. Cloning and characterization of LCB1, a Saccharomyces gene required for biosynthesis of the long-chain base component of sphingolipids. J. Bacteriol. 173:4325–4332. , , , , and .
- 1981. Mutants of yeast defective in sucrose utilization. Genetics 98:25–40. , , and .
- 1993. A pair of putative protein kinase genes (YPK1 and YPK2) is required for cell growth in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Gen. Genet. 236:443–447. , , and .
- 2001. Phytosphingosine as a specific inhibitor of growth and nutrient import in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem. 276:35614–35621. , , , , and .
- 2007. Selective substrate supply in the regulation of yeast de novo sphingolipid synthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 282:12330–12340. , and .
- 2003. Roles for sphingolipid biosynthesis in mediation of specific programs of the heat stress response determined through gene expression profiling. J. Biol. Chem. 278:30328–30338. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Sphingolipids mediate formation of mRNA processing bodies during the heat-stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem. J. 431:31–38. , , , and .
- 1995. Ste20-like protein kinases are required for normal localization of cell growth and for cytokinesis in budding yeast. Genes Dev. 9:1817–1830. , , , , and .
- 1998. Sphingolipid functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae: comparison to mammals. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 67:27–48.
- 2002. Sphingolipid functions in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1583:13–25. , and .
- 1997. Sphingolipids are potential heat stress signals in Saccharomyces. J. Biol. Chem. 272:30196–30200. , , , , , and .
- 2012. An essential function of sphingolipids in yeast cell division. Mol. Microbiol. 84:1018–1032. , , , and .
- 2002. Mutant analysis reveals complex regulation of sphingolipid long chain base phosphates and long chain bases during heat stress in yeast. Yeast 19:573–586. , , , and .
- 2001. Sphingoid base signaling via Pkh kinases is required for endocytosis in yeast. EMBO J. 20:6783–6792. , , , , and .
- 2002. Functional profiling of the Saccharomyces cerevisiae genome. Nature 418:387–391. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Phospholipid flippases lem3p-dnf1p and lem3p-dnf2p are involved in the sorting of the tryptophan permease tat2p in yeast. J. Biol. Chem. 288:3594–3608. , , , and .
- 2003. Lem3p is essential for the uptake and potency of alkylphosphocholine drugs, edelfosine and miltefosine. J. Biol. Chem. 278:36041–36050. , , , and .
- 2008. The chemical genomic portrait of yeast: uncovering a phenotype for all genes. Science 320:362–365. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Down-regulating sphingolipid synthesis increases yeast lifespan. PLoS Genet. 8:e1002493. , , and .
- 2005. Phosphorylation by Pho85 cyclin-dependent kinase acts as a signal for the down-regulation of the yeast sphingoid long-chain base kinase Lcb4 during the stationary phase. J. Biol. Chem. 280:6520–6527. , , , and .
- 2007. Intracellular trafficking pathway of yeast long-chain base kinase Lcb4, from its synthesis to its degradation. J. Biol. Chem. 282:28485–28492. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Involvement of yeast sphingolipids in the heat stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem. 272:32566–32572. , , , , , and .
- 2012. Perturbation of sphingolipid metabolism induces endoplasmic reticulum stress-mediated mitochondrial apoptosis in budding yeast. Mol. Microbiol. 86:1246–1261. , , , , , and .
- 2000. Accumulation of phosphorylated sphingoid long chain bases results in cell growth inhibition in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Genetics 156:1519–1529. , , and .
- 1972. Myriocin, a new antifungal antibiotic from Myriococcum albomyces. J. Antibiot. (Tokyo) 25:109–115. , , , , and .
- 2005. Disturbance of sphingolipid biosynthesis abrogates the signaling of Mss4, phosphatidylinositol-4-phosphate 5-kinase, in yeast. J. Biol. Chem. 280:18087–18094. , , , , and .
- 2004. Hypoxia induces adhesion molecules on cancer cells: a missing link between Warburg effect and induction of selectin-ligand carbohydrates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 101:8132–8137. , , , , , , et al.
- 1991. CTD kinase large subunit is encoded by CTK1, a gene required for normal growth of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Gene Expr. 1:149–167. , and .
- 2001. High-performance liquid chromatography analysis of molecular species of sphingolipid-related long chain bases and long chain base phosphates in Saccharomyces cerevisiae after derivatization with 6-aminoquinolyl-N-hydroxysuccinimidyl carbamate. Anal. Biochem. 298:283–292. , and .
- 2005. Cell wall integrity signaling in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 69:262–291.
- 2005. Signalling functions for sphingolipid long-chain bases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Biochem. Soc. Trans. 33:1170–1173. , , , , and .
- 1998. Additional modules for versatile and economical PCR-based gene deletion and modification in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Yeast 14:953–961. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The sphingolipid long-chain base-Pkh1/2-Ypk1/2 signaling pathway regulates eisosome assembly and turnover. J. Biol. Chem. 283:10433–10444. , , , , and .
- 2002. Evolution of protein kinase signaling from yeast to man. Trends Biochem. Sci. 27:514–520. , , , and .
- 2006. Sphingoid base is required for translation initiation during heat stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Biol. Cell 17:1164–1175. , , , , and .
- 1995. Serine palmitoyltransferase is the primary target of a sphingosine-like immunosuppressant, ISP-1/myriocin. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 211:396–403. , , , , and .
- 2004. SLI1 (YGR212W) is a major gene conferring resistance to the sphingolipid biosynthesis inhibitor ISP-1, and encodes an ISP-1 N-acetyltransferase in yeast. Biochem. J. 381:321–328. , , , , , , et al.
- 1994. The LCB2 gene of Saccharomyces and the related LCB1 gene encode subunits of serine palmitoyltransferase, the initial enzyme in sphingolipid synthesis. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:7899–7902. , , , , and .
- 1997. Sphingolipid synthesis as a target for antifungal drugs. Complementation of the inositol phosphorylceramide synthase defect in a mutant strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae by the AUR1 gene. J. Biol. Chem. 272:9809–9817. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Protein kinases fpk1p and fpk2p are novel regulators of phospholipid asymmetry. Mol. Biol. Cell 19:1783–1797. , , , , and .
- 2003. Drs2p-related P-type ATPases Dnf1p and Dnf2p are required for phospholipid translocation across the yeast plasma membrane and serve a role in endocytosis. Mol. Biol. Cell 14:1240–1254. , , , , , and .
- 2010. A protein kinase network regulates the function of aminophospholipid flippases. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:34–39. , , , , and .
- 2011. Protein kinase Ypk1 phosphorylates regulatory proteins Orm1 and Orm2 to control sphingolipid homeostasis in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:19222–19227. , , , , and .
- 2005. Regulation of the sphingoid long-chain base kinase Lcb4p by ergosterol and heme: studies in phytosphingosine-resistant mutants. J. Biol. Chem. 280:36674–36682. , , , , and .
- 2001. Lag1p and Lac1p are essential for the acyl-CoA-dependent ceramide synthase reaction in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Biol. Cell 12:3417–3427. , , , , and .
- 2010. Identification of Ypk1 as a novel selective substrate for nitrogen starvation-triggered proteolysis requiring autophagy system and endosomal sorting complex required for transport (ESCRT) machinery components. J. Biol. Chem. 285:36984–36994. , , , , and .
- 1998. Inhibition of amino acid transport by sphingoid long chain bases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem. 273:2829–2834. , , , and .
- 2000. Sli2 (Ypk1), a homologue of mammalian protein kinase SGK, is a downstream kinase in the sphingolipid-mediated signaling pathway of yeast. Mol. Cell. Biol. 20:4411–4419. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Orm protein phosphoregulation mediates transient sphingolipid biosynthesis response to heat stress via the Pkh-Ypk and Cdc55-PP2A pathways. Mol. Biol. Cell 23:2388–2398. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Endocytic Ark/Prk kinases play a critical role in adriamycin resistance in both yeast and mammalian cells. Cancer Res. 66:11932–11937. , , and .
- 2005. The requirement for the hydrophobic motif phosphorylation of Ypk1 in yeast differs depending on the downstream events, including endocytosis, cell growth, and resistance to a sphingolipid biosynthesis inhibitor, ISP-1. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 437:29–41. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Sch9 is a major target of TORC1 in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Cell 26:663–674. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Assessment of crosstalks between the Snf1 kinase complex and sphingolipid metabolism in S. cerevisiae via systems biology approaches. Mol. Biosyst. 9:2914–2931. , and .
- 2004. Pil1p and Lsp1p negatively regulate the 3-phosphoinositide-dependent protein kinase-like kinase pkh1p and downstream signaling pathways pkc1p and ypk1p. J. Biol. Chem. 279:22030–22038. , , and .
- 1994. Suppressors of the Ca(2+)-sensitive yeast mutant (csg2) identify genes involved in sphingolipid biosynthesis. Cloning and characterization of SCS1, a gene required for serine palmitoyltransferase activity. J. Biol. Chem. 269:21480–21488. , , and .
- 2000. Analysis of yeast protein kinases using protein chips. Nat. Genet. 26:283–289. , , , , , , et al.