Mechanisms involved in Escherichia coli and Serratia marcescens removal during activated sludge wastewater treatment
Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 657–667, October 2014
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2014; 3(5): 657–667
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 16 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 17 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 26 FEB 2014
- Science and Technology Ministry of Spain. Grant Number: CTM2006-09532/TECNO
- Basque Country University. Grant Number: EHU08/56
- Basque Government Predoctoral . Grant Number: BF109.103
- 2009. Role of biological factors on the survival of Escherichia coli, Salmonella paratyphi and Vibrio parahaemolyticus in a Tropical Estuary, India. Water 76:76–84. , , , , and .
- APHA, AWWA and WPCF. 2005. Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater. 21st ed. American Public Health Association, Washington, DC.
- 2008. Ecological significance and possible risks of nonculturable intestinal bacteria in water systems. Pp. 115–137 in T. van Dijk, ed. Microbial ecology research trends. Nova Science Publishers, Hauppauge, NY. , and .
- 2003. gfp-Tagged cells as a useful tool to study the survival of Escherichia coli in the presence of the river microbial community. Microb. Ecol. 45:29–38. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Microbial ecology: fundamentals and applications. 4th ed. Benjamin Cummings Science Publishing, Menlo Park. , and .
- 2003. Persistence of biofilm-associated Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa in groundwater and treated effluent in a laboratory model system. Microbiology 149:47–55. , , and .
- 2008. Evaluation of adherence, hydrophobicity, aggregation, and biofilm development of Flavobacterium johnsoniae-like isolates. Microb. Ecol. 55:1–14. , , and .
- 2002. Occurrence of Cryptosporidium oocysts in sewage effluents and correlation with microbial, chemical and physical water variables. Environ. Monit. Assess. 75:241–252. , , , and .
- 1997. Use of green fluorescent protein as a marker for ecological studies of activated sludge communities. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 149:77–83. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Molecular pathogen detection in biosolids with a focus on quantitative PCR using propidium monoazide for viable cell enumeration. J. Microbiol. Methods 87:263–272. , , , , and .
- 1999. Optimization of plasmid maintenance in the attenuated live vector vaccine strain Salmonella typhi CVD 908-htrA. Infect. Immun. 67:6424–6433. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Respective contributions of point and non-point sources of E. coli and enterococci in a large urbanized watershed (the Seine river, France). J. Environ. Manage. 82:512–518. , and .
- 2005. Processes for managing pathogens. J. Environ. Qual. 34:105–113. , and .
- 2012. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual. 4th ed. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring, Harbor, NY. , and .
- 2005. Validity of the indicator organism paradigm for pathogen reduction in reclaimed water and public health protection. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 71:3163–3170. , , , , , , et al.
- 1977. Use of nucleopore filters for counting bacteria by epifluorescence microscopy. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 33:1225–1228. , , and .
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 1998. ISO 9308-3 Water quality. Detection and enumeration of Escherichia coli and coliform bacteria. Part 3: Miniaturized method (Most Probable Number) for the detection and enumeration of E. coli in surface and waste water. ISO 9308-3: 1998.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 1998. ISO 7899-1 Water quality. Detection and enumeration of intestinal Enterococci. Part 1: Miniaturized method (Most Probable Number) for surface and waste water. ISO 7899-1:1998.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 1999. ISO 6222 Water quality. Enumeration of culturable microorganisms. Colony count by inoculation in a Nutrient Agar culture medium. ISO 6222: 1999.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO). 2000. ISO 10705-2 Water quality. Detection and enumeration of bacteriophages. Part 2: enumeration of somatic coliphages. ISO 10705-2: 2000.
- 2008. Escherichia coli in the environment: implications for water quality and human health. Microbes Environ. 23:101–108. , and .
- 1996. Standardisation and comparison of methods employed for microbial cell surface hydrophobicity and charge determination. Int. J. Pharm. 131:83–89. , , , and .
- 1984. Starvation-induced effects on bacterial surface characteristics. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 48:497–503. , and .
- 2013. Indigenous microbiota and habitat influence Escherichia coli survival more than sunlight in simulated aquatic environments. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 79:5329–5337. , , and .
- 2004. Green fluorescent protein-propidium iodide (GFP-PI) based assay for flow cytometric measurement of bacterial viability. Cytometry A 60:165–172. , , and .
- 2001. The use of modified GFP as a reporter for metabolic activity in Pseudomonas putida. Microb. Ecol. 41:310–313. , and .
- 1989. Survival of Pseudomonas putida UWC1 containing cloned catabolic genes in a model activated-sludge unit. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 55:2627–2634. , , and .
- 2011. Microbiological parameters as an additional tool to improve wastewater treatment plant monitoring. Ecol. Indic. 11:431–437. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The survival response of Escherichia coli K12 in a natural environment. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 72:386–392. , , , and .
- 2010. Modeling predation processes in activated sludge. Biotechnol. Bioeng. 105:1021–1030. , , and .
- 2009. FISH handbook for biological wastewater treatment. IWA Publishing, London. , , and .
- 2010. Recent findings on the viable but nonculturable state in pathogenic bacteria. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 34:415–425.
- 1998. Floc stability and adhesion of green fluorescent-protein-marked bacteria to flocs in activated sludge. Microbiology 144:519–528. , , and .
- 2013. Validation of a sonication-based method for bacterial dislodgement from flocs. J. Microbiol. Res. 3:208–212. , , , and .
- 1998. Initiation of biofilm formation in Pseudomonas fluoescens WCS365 proceeds via multiple, convergent signalling pathways: a genetic analysis. Mol. Microbiol. 28:449–461. , and .
- 2002. Fluorescence in situ hybridization and catalyzed reporter deposition for the identification of marine bacteria. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 68:3094–3101. , , and .
- 1980. The use of DAPI for identifying and counting aquatic microflora. Limnol. Oceanogr. 25:943–948. , and .
- 1996. Effects of protozoa on carbon mineralization in activated sludge. Water Res. 30:1–12. , , and .
- 2000. Oligonucleotide probe for the visualization of Escherichia coli/Escherichia fergusonii cells by in situ hybridization: specificity and potential applications. Res. Microbiol. 151:521–533. , , , , and .
- 2003. Antibiotic resistance of E. coli in sewage and sludge. Water Res. 37:1685–1690. , , , , , , et al.
- 1980. Adherence of bacteria to hydrocarbons: a simple method for measuring cell-surface hydrophobicity. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 9:29–33. , , and .
- 2011. Defining established and emerging microbial risks in the aquatic environment: current knowledge, implications, and outlooks. Int. J. Microbiol. 2011: Article ID 462832. 2011:15 pages. doi: 10.1155/2011/462832
- 2008. Behaviors of physiologically active bacteria in water environment and chlorine disinfection. Water Sci. Technol. 58:1343–1348. , , , and .
- 2010. Bacteriophage predation regulates microbial abundance and diversity in a full-scale bioreactor treating industrial wastewater. ISME J. 4:327–336. , , and .
- 2009. Human pathogens and their indicators in biosolids: a literature review. Environ. Int. 35:187–201. , and .
- 2000. A modified microtiter-plate test for quantification of staphylococcal biofilm formation. J. Microbiol. Methods 40:175–179. , , , , and .
- 2004. Retention and removal of pathogenic bacteria in wastewater percolating through porous media: a review. Water Res. 38:1355–1367. , , , and .
- 2010. The filter-feeding ciliates Colpidium striatum and Tetrahymena pyriformis display selective feeding behaviours in the presence of mixed, equally-sized, bacterial prey. Protist 16:577–588. , , , and .
- 2013. The influence of predation and competition on the survival of commensal and pathogenic fecal bacteria in aquatic habitats. Environ. Microbiol. 15:517–526. , and .
- 2009. Fate of pathogenic microorganisms and indicators in secondary activated sludge wastewater treatment plants. J. Environ. Manage. 90:1442–1447. , , , and .
- 2007. Tracers for investigating pathogen fate and removal mechanisms in mesocosms. Sci. Total Environ. 380:188–195. , , and .
- 2008. Behaviour of pathogenic and indicator bacteria during urban wastewater treatment and sludge composting, as revealed by quantitative PCR. Water Res. 42:53–62. , , , , and .
- 2005. Bacteriophages: potential for application in wastewater treatment processes. Sci. Total Environ. 339:1–18. , , , and .
- 1997. Effects of bacterial cell surface structures and hydrophobicity on attachment to activated sludge flocs. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 63:1168–1170. , and .