Ultrastructure and complex polar architecture of the human pathogen Campylobacter jejuni
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 3, Issue 5, pages 702–710, October 2014
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2014; 3(5): 702–710
- Issue online: 9 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 17 JUN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 18 MAR 2014
- Searle Scholar program
- Burroughs-Wellcome Fund Career Award for the Biological Sciences
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute
- Beckman Center at Caltech
- 2012. Superresolution imaging of ribosomes and RNA polymerase in live Escherichia coli cells. Mol. Microbiol. 85:21–38. , , , and .
- 2012. Ranking the disease burden of 14 pathogens in food sources in the United States using attribution data from outbreak investigations and expert elicitation. J. Food Prot. 75:1278–1291. , , and .
- 2012. Growth and localization of polyhydroxybutyrate granules in Ralstonia eutropha. J. Bacteriol. 194:1092–1099. , , , and .
- 2009. Universal architecture of bacterial chemoreceptor arrays. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 106:17181–17186. , , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Electron microscopy of the coccoid form of Campylobacter jejuni. J.Clin. Microbiol. 18:420–421. , , and .
- 2007. Polyphosphate kinase 1 is a pathogenesis determinant in Campylobacter jejuni. J. Bacteriol. 189:8099–8108. , , , and .
- 2011. Structural diversity of bacterial flagellar motors. EMBO J. 30:2972–2981. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Characterization of intact subcellular bodies in whole bacteria by cryo-electron tomography and spectroscopic imaging. J. Microsc. 223:40–52. , , and .
- 2013. Incidence and trends of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food – foodborne diseases active surveillance network, 10 U.S. sites, 1996–2012 (CDC). MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 62:283–287.
- 2005. Acidocalcisomes – conserved from bacteria to man. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 3:251–261. , , , , and .
- 2008. A self-associating protein critical for chromosome attachment, division, and polar organization in caulobacter. Cell 134:956–968. , , , and .
- 1999. Phage typing of Campylobacter jejuni and Campylobacter coli and its use as an adjunct to serotyping. Epidemiol. Infect. 123:47–55. , , and .
- 2008. Divergence of quaternary structures among bacterial flagellar filaments. Science 320:382–385. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Electron tomography of cells. Q. Rev. Biophys. 45:27–56. , and .
- 2009. Importance of polyphosphate kinase 1 for Campylobacter jejuni viable-but-nonculturable cell formation, natural transformation, and antimicrobial resistance. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:7838–7849. , , , and .
- 2007. Campylobacter flagella: not just for motility. Trends Microbiol. 15:456–461.
- 2008. Regulation of flagellar gene expression and assembly. Pp. 545–558 in I. Nachamkin, C.M. Szymanski, and M. J. Blaser, eds. Campylobacter. American Society for Microbiology, Washington, DC USA. .
- 2007. Electron cryotomography sample preparation using the Vitrobot. Nat. Protoc. 1:2813–2819. , , , , , , et al.
- 2013. Using comparative genomics to uncover new kinds of protein-based metabolic organelles in bacteria. Protein Sci. 22:179–195. , , , and .
- 2006. Magnetosomes are cell membrane invaginations organized by the actin-like protein MamK. Science 311:242–245.
- 1996. Computer visualization of three-dimensional image data using IMOD. J. Struct. Biol. 116:71–76. , , and .
- 1997. Guanosine tetra- and pentaphosphate promote accumulation of inorganic polyphosphate in Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 272:21240–21243. , , , and .
- 2003. Cryo-transmission electron microscopy of frozen-hydrated sections of Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa. J. Bacteriol. 185:6112–6118. , , , and .
- 2009. Assigning the source of human campylobacteriosis in New Zealand: a comparative genetic and epidemiological approach. Infect. Genet. Evol. 9:1311–1319. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Campylobacter species and Guillain–Barré syndrome. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 11:555–567. , , and .
- 1979. Electron microscopy of Campylobacter jejuni. J. Med. Microbiol. 12:383–385.
- 1996. Inorganic polyphosphate supports resistance and survival of stationary-phase Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 178:1394–1400. , and .
- 2000. Inorganic polyphosphate is needed for swimming, swarming, and twitching motilities of Pseudomonas aeruginosa. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:4885–4890. , and .
- R Foundation for Statistical Computing. 2008. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 1919. A characteristic localization of bacillus abortus in the bovine fetal membranes. J. Exp. Med. 29:451–456.
- 2009. Fully automated, sequential tilt-series acquisition with Leginon. J. Struct. Biol. 167:11–18. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Guillain-Barre syndrome and preceding infection with campylobacter, influenza and Epstein-Barr virus in the general practice research database. PLoS ONE 2:e344. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Short- and long-term effects of bacterial gastrointestinal infections. Emerg. Infect. Dis. 14:143–148. , , , , and .
- 2010. Electron Cryotomography. Cold Spring Harb. Persp. Biol. 2:a003442. , , and .
- 2013. Polyphosphate storage during sporulation in the Gram-negative bacterium Acetonema longum. J. Bacteriol., Epub June 2013, doi: 10.1128. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Preliminary FoodNet data on the incidence of infection with pathogens transmitted commonly through food–10 States, United States, 2005 (CDC). MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 55:392–395. , , and .
- 1967. Human vibriosis: indigenous cases in England. Br. Med. J. 2:283–287.