A novel regulator RcdA of the csgD gene encoding the master regulator of biofilm formation in Escherichia coli
Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2012
© 2012 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 1, Issue 4, pages 381–394, December 2012
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2012; 1(4): 381–394
- Issue online: 12 DEC 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 OCT 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 11 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 9 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2012
- MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan). Grant Number: S0801037
- 2003. Increased bending rigidity of single DNA molecules by H-NS, a temperature and osmolarity sensor. Biophys. J. 84:2467–2473. , , and .
- 2006. Construction of Escherichia coli K-12 in-frame, single-gene knockout mutants: the Keio collection. Mol. Syst. Biol. 6:2006. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Curli biogenesis and function. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 60:131–147. , and .
- 2004. Global impact of mature biofilm lifestyle on Escherichia coli K-12 gene expression. Mol. Microbiol. 51:659–674. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Crl, a low temperature-induced protein in Escherichia coli that binds directly to the stationary phase sigma subunit of RNA polymerase. J. Biol. Chem. 279:19540–19550. , , and .
- 2003. The curli biosynthesis regulator CsgD co-ordinates the expression of both positive and negative determinants for biofilm formation in Escherichia coli. Microbiology 149:2847–2857. , , , and .
- 2006. Gene expression regulation by the curli activator CsgD protein: modulation of cellulose biosynthesis and control of negative determinants for microbial adhesion. J. Bacteriol. 188:2027–2037. , , , and .
- 1976. Transcription and fusion of the lac genes to selected promoters in Escherichia coli using bacteriophage lambda and mu. J. Mol. Biol. 104:541–555.
- 2003. CsgD, a regulator of curli and cellulose synthesis, also regulates serine hydroxymethyltransferase synthesis in Escherichia coli K-12. Microbiology 149:525–535. , and .
- 2002. Interaction of the atypical prokaryotic transcription activator FlhD2C2 with early promoters of the flagellar gene hierarchy. J. Mol. Biol. 321:185–199. , and .
- 1990. In vitro selection of DNA molecules that bind specific ligands. Nature 346:818–822. , and .
- 2008. New insights into transcription regulation by H-NS. Curr. Opin. Microbiol. 11:113–120. , and .
- 2003. Complex regulation of csgD promoter activity by global regulatory proteins. Mol. Microbiol. 49:639–654. , , and .
- 2007. Biofilm formation-gene expression relay system in Escherichia coli: modulation of sigma S-dependent gene expression by the CsgD regulatory protein via sigma S protein stabilization. J. Bacteriol. 189:8034–8043. , , and .
- 2008. Cellulose modulates biofilm formation by counteracting curli-mediated colonization of solid surfaces in Escherichia coli. Microbiology 154:2017–2024. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Expression of two csg operons is required for production of fibronectin- and congo red-binding curli polymers in Escherichia coli K-12. Mol. Microbiol. 18:661–670. , , , , and .
- 2010. Prokaryotic genome regulation: multifactor promoters, multitarget regulators and hierarchic networks. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 34:628–645.
- 1995. Regulation of RNA polymerase sigma subunit synthesis in Escherichia coli: intracellular levels of σ70 and σ38. J. Bacteriol. 177:6832–6835. , and .
- 1997. Availability of the fibre subunit CsgA and the nucleator protein CsgB during assembly of fibronectin-binding curli is limited by the intracellular concentration of the novel lipoprotein CsgG. Mol. Microbiol. 26:16–26. , , and .
- 2011. Biofilms. Cold Spring Harb. Perspect. Biol. 2:a000398. , , and .
- 1972. Experiments in molecular genetics. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, New York.
- 2007a. Genomic SELEX search for target genes under the control of PhoQP-RstBA signal relay cascade. J. Bacteriol. 189:4791–4799. , , , , , and .
- 2007b. PdhR (pyruvte dehydrogenase complex regulator) controls the respiratory electron transport system in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 189:5534–5541. , , , , and .
- 2010a. Regulatory role of MlrA in transcription activation of csgD, the máster regulator of biofilm formation in Escherichia coli. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 312:160–168. , , and .
- 2010b. Regulation of the Escherichia coli csgD promoter: interplay between five transcription factors. Microbiology 156:2470–2483. , , , , and .
- 2011. Cross-regulation between biofilm formation and flagella synthesis: role of biofilm master regulator CsgD. J. Bacteriol. 193:2587–2597. , , and .
- 2008. Inverse regulatory coordination of motility and curli-mediated adhesion in Escherichia coli. Genes Dev. 22:2434–2446. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Crl stimulates RpoS activity during stationary phase. Mol. Microbiol. 29:1225–1236. , and .
- 2001. Complex regulatory network controls initial adhesion and biofilm formation in Escherichia coli via regulation of the csgD gene. J. Bacteriol. 183:7213–7223. , , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Multicellular and aggregative behavior of Salmonella typhimurium strains is controlled by mutations in the agfD promoter. Mol. Microbiol. 28:249–264. , , , and .
- 2006. Microbial drug efflux proteins of the major facilitator superfamily. Curr. Drug Targets 7:793–811. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Systematic search for the Cra-binding promoters using genomic SELEX system. Genes Cells 10:907–918. , , , and .
- 2007. RutR is the uracil/thymine-sensing master regulator of a set of genes for synthesis and degradation of pyrimdines. Mol. Microbiol. 66:744–757. , , , , and .
- 2008. The Escherichia coli RutR transcription factor binds at targets within genes as well as intergenic regions. Nucleic Acids Res. 36:3950–3955. , , , and .
- 2009. Involvement of the leucine response transcription factor LeuO in regulation of the genes for sulfa drug efflux.J. Bacteriol 191:4562–4571. , , and .
- 2011a. Novel roles of LeuO in transcription regulation in E. coli: antagonistic interplay with the universal silencer H-NS. Mol. Microbiol. 82:376–397. , , , and .
- 2011b. Novel roles of cAMP receptor protein (CRP) in regulation of transport and metabolism of carbon sources. PLoS ONE 6:e20081. , , , and .
- 2011c. Novel members of the Cra regulon involved in carbon metabolism in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 193:649–659. , , and .
- 1987. Improved single and multicopy lac-based cloning vectors for protein and operon fusions. Gene 53:85–96. , , and .
- 1997. Libraries for genomic SELEX. Nucleic Acids Res. 25:781–786. , , , and .
- 2005. Binding and transcriptional activation of non-flagellar genes by the Escherichia coli flagellar master regulator FlhD2C2. Microbiology 151:1779–1788. , , and .
- 1986. Use of bacteriophage T7 RNA polymerase to direct selective high-level expression of cloned genes. J. Mol. Biol. 189:113–130. , and .
- 2009. A combination of assays reveals biomass difference in biofilms formed by Escherichia coli mutants. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 49:299–304. , , , , , and .
- 2010. A novel nucleoid protein of Escherichia coli induced under anaerobiotic growth conditions. Nucleic Acids Res. 38:3605–3618. , , , and .
- 1990. Systematic evolution of ligands by exponential enrichment: RNA ligands to bacteriophage T4 DNA polymerase. Science 249:505–510. , and .
- 2008. The uncharacterized YdhM is the regulator of the nemA gene, coding for N-ethylmaleimide reductase. J. Bacteriol. 190:5890–5897. , , , , and .
- 1993. Structural conservation in the CheY superfamily. Biochemistry 32:11741–11753.
- 2011. Salmonella enterica response regulator RssB relieves H-NS silencing by displacing H-NS bound in polymerization mode and directly activates transcription. J. Biol. Chem. 286:1895–1902. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Get the message out: cyclic-di-GMP regulates multiple level of flagellum-based motility. J. Bacteriol. 190:463–475. , and .
- 2005. Functional characterization in vitro of all two-component signal transduction systems from Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 280:1448–1456. , , , , , and .