Evidence that a transcription factor regulatory network coordinates oxidative stress response and secondary metabolism in aspergilli
Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2013
© 2012 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 1, pages 144–160, February 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(1): 144–160
- Issue online: 13 FEB 2013
- Version of Record online: 1 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 13 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Received: 23 OCT 2012
- National Institutes of Health. Grant Number: RO1 CA52003-21
- Michigan AgBio Research
- Internal Research Grants Program
- 1990. Redox regulation of fos and jun DNA-binding activity in vitro. Science 249:1157–1161. , , , and .
- 2006. Fungal responses to reactive oxygen species. Med. Mycol. 44:S101–S107. , , and .
- 2004. Reactive oxygen species: metabolism, oxidative stress, and signal transduction. Annu. Rev. Plant Biol. 55:373–399. , and .
- 2007. Characterization of the bZip-type transcription factor NapA with reference to oxidative stress response in Aspergillus nidulans. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 71:1800–1803. , , , and .
- 2007. Sensing the environment: lessons from fungi. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 5:57–69. , , , , , and .
- 2011. Loss of msnA, a putative stress regulatory gene, in Aspergillus parasiticus and Aspergillus flavus increased production of conidia, aflatoxins and kojic acid. Toxins 3:82–104. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Atf1-Pcr1-M26 complex links stress-activated MAPK and cAMP-dependent protein kinase pathways via chromatin remodeling of cgs2+. J. Biol. Chem. 279:50857–50863. , , , , and .
- 2006. Cross-species annotation of basic leucine zipper factor interactions: Insight into the evolution of closed interaction networks. Mol. Biol. Evol. 23:1480–1492. , , and .
- 2008. Stress-protective role of secondary metabolites: diversity of functions and mechanisms. Genet. Appl. Plant Physiol. 34:67–78. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Aflatoxin biosynthesis gene clusters and flanking regions. J. Appl. Microbiol. 99:518–527. , , and .
- 2000. Stress-controlled transcription factors, stress-induced genes and stress tolerance in budding yeast. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 24:469–486.
- 1984. Free-radicals and aflatoxin biosynthesis. Experientia 40:191–193. , , , , and .
- 2004. Aflatoxins and ochratoxins in cereal grains: an open challenge. Recent Res. Dev. Crop Sci. 1:295–317. , , , and .
- 2005. Aspergillus nidulans HOG pathway is activated only by two-component signalling pathway in response to osmotic stress. Mol. Microbiol. 56:1246–1261. , , , , and .
- 2007. Reactive oxygen species in regulation of fungal development. Biochemistry (Mosc.) 72:1091–1109. , , and .
- 2007. Characterization of the NikA histidine kinase implicated in the phosphorelay signal transduction of Aspergillus nidulans, with special reference to fungicide responses. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 71:844–847. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Characterization of bZip-type transcription factor AtfA with reference to stress responses of conidia of Aspergillus nidulans. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 72:2756–2760. , , , and .
- 1991. Cross-family dimerization of transcription factors Fos/Jun and ATF/CREB alters DNA binding specificity. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 88:3720–3724. , and .
- 2005. Identification of novel Yap1p and Skn7p binding sites involved in the oxidative stress response of Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Microbiol. 58:1454–1467. , and .
- 2007. Improved protocols for functional analysis in the pathogenic fungus Aspergillus flavus. BMC Microbiol. 7:104. , , , , and .
- 2009. Ethylene inhibited aflatoxin biosynthesis is due to oxidative stress alleviation and related to glutathione redox state changes in Aspergillus flavus. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 130:17–21. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Antiaflatoxigenic activity of eugenol is due to inhibition of lipid peroxidation. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 28:179–183. , and .
- 2000. Oxidative stress as a prerequisite for aflatoxin production by Aspergillus parasiticus. Free Radical Biol. Med. 29:981–985. , and .
- 1997. Two divergent catalase genes are differentially regulated during Aspergillus nidulans development and oxidative stress. J. Bacteriol. 179:3284–3292. , , , and .
- 2002. SakA MAP kinase is involved in stress signal transduction, sexual development and spore viability in Aspergillus nidulans. Mol. Microbiol. 45:1153–1163. , , , and .
- 2011. Aspergillus nidulans transcription factor AtfA interacts with the MAPK SakA to regulate general stress responses, development and spore functions. Mol. Microbiol. 80:436–454. , , , and .
- 1999. Yap1 and Skn7 control two specialized oxidative stress response regulons in yeast. J. Biol. Chem. 274:16040–16046. , , , , , , et al.
- 1993. A Saccharomyces cerevisiae UAS element controlled by protein kinase A activates transcription in response to a variety of stress conditions. EMBO J. 12:1997–2003. , , , and .
- 1996. The Saccharomyces cerevisiae zinc finger proteins Msn2p and Msn4p are required for transcriptional induction through the stress response element (STRE). EMBO J. 15:2227–2235. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Annotation of stress-response proteins in the aspergilli. Fungal Genet. Biol. 46(Suppl. 1):S105–S120. , , and .
- 2002. Transcription factors regulating the response to oxidative stress in yeast. Antioxid. Redox Signal. 4:123–140.
- 2011. Association of the Skn7 and Yap1 transcription factors in the Saccharomyces cerevisiae oxidative stress response. Eukaryot. Cell 10:761–769. , and .
- 2006. Biochemical analysis of oxidative stress in the production of aflatoxin and its precursor intermediates. Mycopathologia 162:179–189. , , and .
- 2000. Multistep phosphorelay proteins transmit oxidative stress signals to the fission yeast stress-activated protein kinase. Mol. Biol. Cell 11:1169–1181. , , , and .
- 2004. Mitochondrial protein oxidation in yeast mutants lacking manganese-(MnSOD) or copper- and zinc-containing superoxide dismutase (CuZnSOD): evidence that MnSOD and CuZnSOD have both unique and overlapping functions in protecting mitochondrial proteins from oxidative damage. J. Biol. Chem. 279:51817–51827. , , , and .
- 2007. Exogenous H2O2 and catalase treatments interfere with Tri genes expression in liquid cultures of Fusarium graminearum. FEBS Lett. 581:443–447. , , , , and .
- 2005. Genomewide identification of Sko1 target promoters reveals a regulatory network that operates in response to osmotic stress in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Eukaryot. Cell 4:1343–1352. , , , , and .
- 2005. Antioxidant enzymes stimulation in Aspergillus parasiticus by Lentinula edodes inhibits aflatoxin production. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 69:207–215. , , , , , and .
- 2006. Oxidant/antioxidant balance in Aspergillus parasiticus affects aflatoxin biosynthesis. Mycotoxin Res. 22:39–47. , , , , and .
- 2007. Apyap1 affects aflatoxin biosynthesis during Aspergillus parasiticus growth in maize seeds. Food Addit. Contam. 24:1070–1075. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Modulation of antioxidant defense in Aspergillus parasiticus is involved in aflatoxin biosynthesis: a role for the ApyapA gene. Eukaryot. Cell 7:988–1000. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Natural functions of mycotoxins and control of their biosynthesis in fungi. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 87:899–911. , , , , and .
- 2004. A novel cAMP-response element, CRE1, modulates expression of nor-1 in Aspergillus parasiticus. J. Biol. Chem. 279:27428–27439. , , , , and .
- 2011. Stress-related transcription factor AtfB integrates secondary metabolism with oxidative stress response in aspergilli. J. Biol. Chem. 286:35137–35148. , , , , and .
- 2008. Aspergillus oryzae atfB encodes a transcription factor required for stress tolerance in conidia. Fungal Genet. Biol. 45:922–932. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Novel sensing mechanisms and targets for the cAMP-protein kinase A pathway in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae. Mol. Microbiol. 33:904–918. , and .
- 1998. Stress-activated signalling pathways in yeast. Genes Cells 3:485–498. , and .
- 2001. Redox control of AP-1-like factors in yeast and beyond. Oncogene 20:2336–2346. , , and .
- 1995. Physical and transcriptional map of an aflatoxin gene cluster in Aspergillus parasiticus and functional disruption of a gene involved early in the aflatoxin pathway. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61:2665–2673. , , , , , , et al.