Assessment of a semi-automated protocol for multiplex analysis of sepsis-causing bacteria with spiked whole blood samples
Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 284–292, April 2013
How to Cite
Laakso, S. and Mäki, M. (2013), Assessment of a semi-automated protocol for multiplex analysis of sepsis-causing bacteria with spiked whole blood samples. MicrobiologyOpen, 2: 284–292. doi: 10.1002/mbo3.69
- Issue online: 8 APR 2013
- Version of Record online: 18 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 1 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 29 SEP 2012
- 2012. Bench-to-bedside review: rapid molecular diagnostics for bloodstream infection – a new frontier? Crit. Care 16:222. , , , and .
- 2000. Identification and characterization of immunoglobulin G in blood as a major inhibitor of diagnostic PCR. J. Clin. Microbiol. 1:345–350. , , and .
- 2004. Toward resolving the challenges of sepsis diagnosis. Clin. Chem. 50:1301–1314. , , and .
- 2011. Surviving the first hours in sepsis: getting the basics right (an intensivist's perspective). J. Antimicrob. Chemother. 66(Suppl. 2):ii11–ii23.
- 2004. High performance DNA clean-up. Eur. Biotech. News 3:44–45. , , and .
- 2010. New technology for rapid molecular diagnosis of bloodstream infections. Expert Rev. Mol. Diagn. 10:399–415. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Rapid detection of pathogens in blood culture bottles by real-time PCR in conjunction with the pre-analytic tool MolYsis. J. Infect. 57:307–316. , , and .
- 2010. New methods for selective isolation of bacterial DNA from human clinical specimens. Anaerobe 16:47–53. , , , and .
- 2011. New concepts in the pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of bacteremia and sepsis. J. Infect. 63:407–419. , and .
- 2009. Rapid identification of bacterial pathogens using a PCR- and microarray-based assay. BMC Microbiol. 9:161. doi: 10.1186/1471-2180-9-161 , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Rapid diagnostic tests to detect pathogenic microorganisms. Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 46:888–908. , and .
- 2006. Duration of hypotension before initiation of effective antimicrobial therapy is the critical determinant of survival in human septic shock. Crit. Care Med. 34:1589–1596. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Direct identification of bacteria in positive blood culture bottles by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionisation time-of-flight mass spectrometry. PLoS ONE 4:e8041. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0008041 , and .
- 2011. Evaluation of high-throughput PCR and microarray-based assay in conjunction with automated DNA extraction instruments for diagnosis of sepsis. PLoS ONE 6:e26655. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0026655 , , , and .
- 2008. A multiplex real-time PCR assay for rapid detection and differentiation of 25 bacterial and fungal pathogens from whole blood samples. Med. Microbiol. Immunol. 197:313–324. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. The era of molecular and other non-culture-based method in diagnosis of sepsis. Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 23:235–251. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Deaths: final data for 2004. National Vital Statistics Report. National Center for Health Statistics. National Vital Statistics Reports 55:19. , , , and .
- 2010. Activity and DNA contamination of commercial polymerase chain reaction reagents for the universal 16S rDNA real-time polymerase chain reaction detection of bacterial pathogens in blood. Diagn. Microbiol. Infect. Dis. 66:41–49. , , , and .
- 2011. Automated extraction of microbial DNA from whole blood for the universal PCR detection of pathogens. Poster, 11th ASM meeting, 21-24 May 2011, New Orleans. Referred: 20 July 2012. , , , and .
- NorDiag ASA, NorDiag Arrow with Molzym Blood pathogen cartridges provides an automated solution for concentrating bacterial and fungal nucleic acids in blood. Application Note AN-19-10. Available at http://www.nordiag.com. Referred: 10 June 2012.
- 2010. Conventional and molecular techniques for the early diagnosis of bacteraemia. Int. J. Antimicrob. Agents 36S:S6–S16. , , and .
- 2010. Staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec (SCCmec) analysis and antimicrobial susceptibility profiles of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) isolates in a teaching hospital, Shantou. China Afr. J. Microbiol. Res. 4:844–848. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Automated extraction improves multiplex molecular detection of infection in septic patients. PLoS ONE 5:e13387. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0013387 , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Detection of staphylococcal cassette chromosome mec type XI carrying highly divergent mecA, mecI, mecR1, blaZ, and ccr genes in human clinical isolates of clonal complex 130 methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Antimicrob. Agents Chemother. 55:3765–3773. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Detection of microbial DNAemia: does it matter for sepsis management? Intensive Care Med. 36:193–195. doi: 10.1007/s00134-009-1710-2
- 2010. Accurate and rapid identification of bacterial species from positive blood cultures with a DNA-based microarray platform: an observational study. Lancet 375:224–230. , , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Impact of antibiotic resistance on the treatment of sepsis. Scand. J. Infect. Dis. 35:677–682.
- URI Genomics and Sequencing Center. 2004. Calculator for determining the number of copies of a template. URI Genomics and Sequencing Center, Created by Andrew Staroscik 29 January 2004. Available at http://www.uri.edu/research/gsc/resources/cndna.html. Referred: 5 May 2012.
- 2009. Diagnosis of bacteremia in whole-blood samples by use of a commercial universal 16S rRNA gene-based PCR and sequence analysis. J. Clin. Microbiol. 47:2759–2765. , , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Establishment of a semi-automated pathogen DNA isolation from whole blood and comparison with commercially available kits. J. Microbiol. Methods 85:206–213. , , , , and .