Topological mapping methods for α-helical bacterial membrane proteins – an update and a guide
Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 2, pages 350–364, April 2013
How to Cite
Islam, S. T. and Lam, J. S. (2013), Topological mapping methods for α-helical bacterial membrane proteins – an update and a guide. MicrobiologyOpen, 2: 350–364. doi: 10.1002/mbo3.72
- Issue published online: 8 APR 2013
- Article first published online: 14 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 4 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2012
- Cystic Fibrosis Canada
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research. Grant Number: MOP-14687
- 2007. Conditions that allow for effective transfer of membrane proteins onto nitrocellulose membrane in Western blots. Can. J. Microbiol. 53:526–532. , and .
- 2013. Accessing the reproducibility and specificity of pepsin and other aspartic proteases. Biochim. Biophys. Acta. doi: 10.1016/j.bbapap.2012.10.003 (Early view). , , , and .
- 1999. Membrane topology of the Rickettsia prowazekii ATP/ADP translocase revealed by novel dual pho-lac reporters. J. Mol. Biol. 285:1503–1513. , and .
- 1992. Membrane topology of the pBR322 tetracycline resistance protein. TetA-PhoA gene fusions and implications for the mechanism of TetA membrane insertion. J. Biol. Chem. 267:17809–17819. , and .
- 1992. Different positively charged amino acids have similar effects on the topology of a polytopic transmembrane protein in Escherichia coli. J. Biol. Chem. 267:1491–1495. , , and .
- 2011. Superfolder GFP is fluorescent in oxidizing environments when targeted via the Sec translocon. Traffic 12:543–548. , , and .
- 2010. Membrane protein assembly into Nanodiscs. FEBS Lett. 584:1721–1727. , and .
- 2002. A polytopic membrane protein displays a reversible topology dependent on membrane lipid composition. EMBO J. 21:2107–2116. , , and .
- 2005. Transmembrane protein topology mapping by the substituted cysteine accessibility method (SCAM™): application to lipid-specific membrane protein topogenesis. Methods 36:148–171. , , , and .
- 2009. Lipid-protein interactions drive membrane protein topogenesis in accordance with the positive inside rule. J. Biol. Chem. 284:9637–9641. , , and .
- 1990. β-lactamase as a probe of membrane protein assembly and protein export. Mol. Microbiol. 4:1637–1644. , , and .
- 2005. Protein tagging and detection with engineered self-assembling fragments of green fluorescent protein. Nat. Biotechnol. 23:102–107. , , and .
- 2008. Confronting fusion protein-based membrane protein topology mapping with reality: the Escherichia coli ClcA H+/Cl− exchange transporter. J. Mol. Biol. 381:860–866. , , and .
- 1999. In vitro scanning saturation mutagenesis of all the specificity determining residues in an antibody binding site. Protein Eng. 12:349–356. , , , , and .
- 2005. A membrane metalloprotease participates in the sequential degradation of a Caulobacter polarity determinant. Mol. Microbiol. 55:1085–1103. , , and .
- 2003. Creation of a fully functional cysteine-less variant of osmosensor and proton-osmoprotectant symporter ProP from Escherichia coli and its application to assess the transporter's membrane orientation. Biochemistry 42:11815–11823. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Protein traffic in Gram-negative bacteria – how exported and secreted proteins find their way. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 36:1023–1045. , and .
- 2011. Assembly of bacterial inner membrane proteins. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 80:161–187. , , and .
- 2010. ATP hydrolysis in ATP synthases can be differently coupled to proton transport and modulated by ADP and phosphate: a structure based model of the mechanism. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1797:755–762. , and .
- 2008. The importance of the twin-arginine translocation pathway for bacterial virulence. Trends Microbiol. 16:442–453. , , and .
- 1991. Sequence and inactivation of the pss gene of Escherichia coli. Phosphatidylethanolamine may not be essential for cell viability. J. Biol. Chem. 266:5323–5332. , , and .
- 1998. The proton motive force, acting on acidic residues, promotes translocation of amino-terminal domains of membrane proteins when the hydrophobicity of the translocation signal is low. J. Biol. Chem. 273:9927–9934. , and .
- 1999. Insertional gene fusion technology. FEBS Lett. 457:1–4. , and .
- 2008. Toxoplasma gondii Tic20 is essential for apicoplast protein import. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105:13574–13579. , , , , and .
- 2009. Lipid-dependent membrane protein topogenesis. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 78:515–540. , and .
- 2002. Rapid topology mapping of Escherichia coli inner-membrane proteins by prediction and PhoA/GFP fusion analysis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99:2690–2695. , , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Protein translocation across the bacterial cytoplasmic membrane. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 77:643–667. , and .
- 1990. Genetic analysis of membrane protein topology by a sandwich gene fusion approach. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87:7574–7578. , , and .
- 2007. Membrane protein structure: prediction versus reality. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 76:125–140. , and .
- 1972. Hydrogen exchange. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 41:903–924. , , and .
- 1996. Mechanisms and uses of hydrogen exchange. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 6:18–23. , , , and .
- 2000. Green fluorescent protein functions as a reporter for protein localization in Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 182:4068–4076. , , , , and .
- 1998. Cys-scanning mutagenesis: a novel approach to structure–function relationships in polytopic membrane proteins. FASEB J. 12:1281–1299. , , , and .
- 1988. Genetic analysis of the membrane insertion and topology of MalF, a cytoplasmic membrane protein of Escherichia coli. J. Mol. Biol. 200:501–511. , , , and .
- 1994. Topological “frustration” in multispanning E. coli inner membrane proteins. Cell 77:401–412. , and .
- 2007. Creating recombination-activated genes and sequence-defined mutant libraries using transposons. Pp. 126–140 in and , eds. Methods in enzymology. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , , .
- 2005. Laser flash photolysis of hydrogen peroxide to oxidize protein solvent-accessible residues on the microsecond timescale. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 16:2057–2063. , and .
- 2010. Conformational analysis of membrane proteins in phospholipid bilayer nanodiscs by hydrogen exchange mass spectrometry. Anal. Chem. 82:5415–5419. , , , , , and .
- 2010. Membrane insertion of marginally hydrophobic transmembrane helices depends on sequence context. J. Mol. Biol. 396:221–229. , , , , , , et al.
- 1986. The distribution of positively charged residues in bacterial inner membrane proteins correlates with the trans-membrane topology. EMBO J. 5:3021–3027.
- 1969. A peptide containing a reactive lysyl group from ox liver glutamate dehydrogenase. Biochem. J. 111:689–694. , and .
- 2003. Protein analysis by hydrogen exchange mass spectrometry. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 32:1–25. , , and .
- 1995. PCR-mediated recombination and mutagenesis. Mol. Biotechnol. 3:93–99.
- 1990. Hydrogen bond stereochemistry in protein structure and function. J. Mol. Biol. 215:457–471. , , and .
- 2013. Wzx flippase-mediated membrane translocation of sugar polymer precursors in bacteria. Environ. Microbiol. doi: 10.1111/j.1462-2920.2012.02890.x (Early view) , and .
- 2010. Membrane topology mapping of the O-antigen flippase (Wzx), polymerase (Wzy), and ligase (WaaL) from Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1 reveals novel domain architectures. mBio 1:e00189–10. , , , and .
- 2011. Dual conserved periplasmic loops possess essential charge characteristics that support a catch-and-release mechanism of O-antigen polymerization by Wzy in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. J. Biol. Chem. 286:20600–20605. , , , , , and .
- 2012. A cationic lumen in the Wzx flippase mediates anionic O-antigen subunit translocation in Pseudomonas aeruginosa PAO1. Mol. Microbiol. 84:1165–1176. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. A periplasmic fluorescent reporter protein and its application in high-throughput membrane protein topology analysis. J. Mol. Biol. 341:901–909. , , , , , and .
- 2008. Oligomeric structure and minimal functional unit of the electrogenic sodium bicarbonate cotransporter NBCe1-A. J. Biol. Chem. 283:26782–26794. , , , , , , et al.
- 1997. Anionic phospholipids are determinants of membrane protein topology. EMBO J. 16:4261–4266. , , , and .
- 2003. Essential cysteine residues of the type IIa Na+/Pi cotransporter. Pflugers Arch. 446:203–210. , , , , and .
- 2008. Mechanisms of YidC-mediated insertion and assembly of multimeric membrane protein complexes. J. Biol. Chem. 283:31269–31273. , , and .
- 2011. Protein folding mechanisms studied by pulsed oxidative labeling and mass spectrometry. Curr. Opin. Struct. Biol. 21:634–640. , , and .
- 1982. A simple method for displaying the hydropathic character of a protein. J. Mol. Biol. 157:105–132. , and .
- 2011. Genetic and functional diversity of Pseudomonas aeruginosa lipopolysaccharide. Front. Microbiol. 2:1–25. , , , , and .
- 2001. The targeting pathway of Escherichia coli presecretory and integral membrane proteins is specified by the hydrophobicity of the targeting signal. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98:3471–3476. , and .
- 1989. Genetic studies on the inability of beta-galactosidase to be translocated across the Escherichia coli cytoplasmic membrane. J. Bacteriol. 171:4609–4616. , , , , and .
- 1953. Origin of the absorption band at 1,550 cm.−1 in proteins. Nature 172:770–771. , and .
- 2001. Production of correctly folded Fab antibody fragment in the cytoplasm of Escherichia coli trxB gor mutants via the coexpression of molecular chaperones. Protein Expr. Purif. 23:338–347. , , , , and .
- 2001. The substituted-cysteine accessibility method (SCAM) to elucidate membrane protein structure. Pp. 4.15.1–4.15.10 in , , , and , eds. Current protocols in neuroscience. John Wiley and Sons, New York, NY. , , and .
- 1988. Transposon Tn5 target specificity: preference for insertion at G/C pairs. Genetics 120:645–650. , , and .
- 2007. Topology and active site of PlsY. J. Biol. Chem. 282:11339–11346. , , , , and .
- 1991. Analysis of membrane protein topology using alkaline phosphatase and beta-galactosidase gene fusions. Pp. 61–75 in , ed. Methods in cell biology. Vol. 34. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , and .
- 1990. Alkaline phosphatase fusions: sensors of subcellular location. J. Bacteriol. 172:515–518. , , and .
- 2005. The structure of E. coli β-galactosidase. C R Biol. 328:549–556.
- 2008. Functional fusion proteins by random transposon-based GFP insertion. Pp. 23–44 in , ed. Methods in cell biology. Vol. 85. Academic Press, San Diego, CA. , , and .
- 2011. Conformational transitions in the membrane scaffold protein of phospholipid bilayer nanodiscs. Mol. Cell. Proteomics 10:M111.010876. , , , , , and .
- 1990. Fine-tuning the topology of a polytopic membrane protein: role of positively and negatively charged amino acids. Cell 62:1135–1141. , and .
- 2002. Prediction of partial membrane protein topologies using a consensus approach. Protein Sci. 11:2974–2980. , , and .
- 1996. Crystal structure of the Aequorea victoria green fluorescent protein. Science 273:1392–1395. , , , , , and .
- 1999. Cysteine residues in the Na+/dicarboxylate co-transporter, NaDC-1. Biochem. J. 344:205–209. , , , and .
- 2012. The twin-arginine translocation (Tat) protein export pathway. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 10:483–496. , and .
- 2008. Structural characterization of an integral membrane protein in its natural lipid environment by oxidative methionine labeling and mass spectrometry. Anal. Chem. 81:28–35. , , , and .
- 2012. Validation of membrane protein topology models by oxidative labeling and mass spectrometry. J. Am. Soc. Mass Spectrom. 23:889–898. , , , and .
- 2012. Swarming motility and the control of master regulators of flagellar biosynthesis. Mol. Microbiol. 83:14–23. , and .
- 2006. Engineering and characterization of a superfolder green fluorescent protein. Nat. Biotechnol. 24:79–88. , , , , and .
- 2012. Probing protein interactions with hydrogen/deuterium exchange and mass spectrometry – a review. Anal. Chim. Acta 721:7–21. , , , and .
- 2002. Study of second-site suppression in the pheP gene for the phenylalanine transporter of Escherichia coli. J. Bacteriol. 184:5842–5847. , , and .
- 2002. The effects of hydrophobic mismatch between phosphatidylcholine bilayers and transmembrane α-helical peptides depend on the nature of interfacially exposed aromatic and charged residues. Biochemistry 41:8396–8404. , , , , , and .
- 1997. Chromophore formation in green fluorescent protein. Biochemistry 36:6786–6791. , and .
- 1999. A single negatively charged residue affects the orientation of a membrane protein in the inner membrane of Escherichia coli only when it is located adjacent to a transmembrane domain. J. Biol. Chem. 274:33757–33763. , , and .
- 2010. Control of membrane protein topology by a single C-terminal residue. Science 328:1698–1700. , , , , and .
- 2011. Chloroplast Omp85 proteins change orientation during evolution. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 108:13841–13846. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Responding to chemical gradients: bacterial chemotaxis. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 24:262–268. , and .
- 1994. DNA shuffling by random fragmentation and reassembly: in vitro recombination for molecular evolution. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91:10747–10751.
- 1997. The rat serotonin transporter: identification of cysteine residues important for substrate transport. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 241:68–72. , , and .
- 2006. Radiolytic protein footprinting with mass spectrometry to probe the structure of macromolecular complexes. Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 35:251–276. , and .
- 2001. Export of active green fluorescent protein to the periplasm by the twin-arginine translocase (Tat) pathway in Escherichia coli. Mol. Microbiol. 39:47–53. , , , and .
- 2012. Application of split-green fluorescent protein for topology mapping membrane proteins in Escherichia coli. Protein Sci. 21:1571–1576. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Protein secretion systems in bacterial-host associations, and their description in the Gene Ontology. BMC Microbiol. 9:S2. , , and .
- 2005. Properties of integral membrane protein structures: derivation of an implicit membrane potential. Proteins 59:252–265. , , and .
- 1998. Genome-wide analysis of integral membrane proteins from eubacterial, archaean, and eukaryotic organisms. Protein Sci. 7:1029–1038. , and .
- 2003. Elucidation of substrate binding interactions in a membrane transport protein by mass spectrometry. EMBO J. 22:1467–1477. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Biophysical dissection of membrane proteins. Nature 459:344–346.
- 2008. Inserting proteins into the bacterial cytoplasmic membrane using the Sec and YidC translocases. Nat. Rev. Microbiol. 6:234–244. , and .
- 1996. Biogenesis and topology of integral membrane proteins: characterization of lactose permease-chloramphenicol acetyltransferase hybrids. Biochemistry 35:10872–10878. , and .
- 2003. Reversible topological organization within a polytopic membrane protein is governed by a change in membrane phospholipid composition. J. Biol. Chem. 278:50128–50135. , , , , and .
- 2005. Phospholipids as determinants of membrane protein topology. J. Biol. Chem. 280:26032–26038. , , , and .
- 2010. Dynamics of the β2-adrenergic G-protein coupled receptor revealed by hydrogen-deuterium exchange. Anal. Chem. 82:1100–1108. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. From individual cell motility to collective behaviors: insights from a prokaryote, Myxococcus xanthus. FEMS Microbiol. Rev. 36:149–164. , , , and .