Taxonomic composition of the particle-attached and free-living bacterial assemblages in the Northwest Mediterranean Sea analyzed by pyrosequencing of the 16S rRNA
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. MicrobiologyOpen published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 541–552, August 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(4): 541–552
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2013
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 7 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Received: 22 NOV 2012
- Spanish MICINN. Grant Numbers: CTM2005-04795/MAR, CTM2010-20361
- Keck Foundation
- 1999. Diversity of free-living and attached bacteria in offshore western Mediterranean waters as depicted by analysis of genes encoding 16S rRNA. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 65:514–522. , , and .
- 2006. Whole genome analysis of the marine Bacteroidetes ‘Gramella forsetii’ reveals adaptations to degradation of polymeric organic matter. Environ. Microbiol. 8:2201–2213. , , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Comparison of free-living and particle-associated bacterial communities in the chesapeake bay by stable low-molecular-weight RNA analysis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 61:944–952. , and .
- 1982. Distribution and activity of attached and free-living suspended bacteria in the Bay of Fundy. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 39:1655–1663. , and .
- 1982. Heterotrophic bacteria and bacteriovorous protozoa in oceanic macroaggregates. Science 218:795–797. , , , and .
- 1993. Phylogenetic diversity of aggregate-attached vs. free-living marine bacterial assemblages. Limnol. Oceanogr. 38:924–934. , , and .
- 1989. Phytoplankton assemblages of deep and surface water layers in a Mediterranean frontal zone. Sci. Mar. 53:203–214. , and .
- 2013. Ecology of marine Bacteroidetes: a comparative genomics approach. ISME J. 7:1026–1037. , , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Diel and seasonal variations on abundance, activity and community structure of particle-attached and free-living bacteria in NW Mediterranean Sea. Microb. Ecol. 54:217–231. , , , , , and .
- 2009. Diversity of total and active free-living vs. particle-attached bacteria in the eutrophic zone of the NW Mediterranean Sea. FEMS Microbiol. Lett. 299:9–21. , , and .
- 2011. EcoSim: null models software for ecology. Version 7. Acquired Intelligence Inc. & Kesey-Bear. Jericho, VT 05465. Available at http://garyentsminger.com/ecosim.htm (accessed October 10, 2011). , and .
- 2000. Similarity of particle-associated and free-living bacterial communities in northern San Francisco Bay, California. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 21:103–114. , , and .
- 2007. Accuracy and quality of massively parallel DNA pyrosequencing. Genome Biol. 8:R143. doi: 10.1186/bg-2007-8-7-r143. , , , , and .
- 2010. Ironing the wrinkles in the rare biosphere. Environ. Microbiol. 12:1889–1898. , , , , , and .
- 1992. Extracellular enzymatic activity and secondary production in free-living and marine-snow-associated bacteria. Mar. Biol. 113:341–347. , and .
- 2009. Comparison of free-living, suspended particle, and aggregate-associated bacterial and archaeal communities in the Laptev Sea. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 57:1–18. , and .
- 2003. Comparison of free-living and particle-associated bacterial communities in a coastal lagoon. Microb. Ecol. 46:228–237. , and .
- 1996. Variability in ectohydrolitic enzyme activities of pelagic marine bacteria and its significance for substrate processing in the sea. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 10:223–230. , , , and .
- 2001. Horizontal and vertical complexity of attached and free-living bacteria of the eastern Mediterranean Sea, determined by 16S rDNA and 16S rRNA fingerprints. Limnol. Oceanogr. 46:95–107. , , and .
- 2012. Vegan: community ecology package. R package version 2.0-0. Available at http://CRAN.R-project.org/package=vegan (accessed February 20, 2013). , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. The rare bacterial biosphere. Ann. Rev. Mar. Sci. 4:449–466.
- 1983. The importance of attachment to particles for planktonic bacteria. Arch. Hydrobiol. 98:354–379. , and .
- 2001. Growth patterns of two marine isolates: adaptations to substrate patchiness. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 67:4077–4083. , , , and .
- 1999. Coupling between bacterioplankton species composition, population dynamics, and organic matter degradation. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 17:13–26. , , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Spatial patterns of bacterial richness and evenness in the NW Mediterranean Sea explored by pyrosequencing of the 16S rRNA. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 61:221–233. , , , , , and .
- 2007. SILVA: a comprehensive online resource for quality checked and aligned ribosomal RNA sequence data compatible with ARB. Nucleic Acids Res. 35:7188–7196. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkm864. , , , , , , et al.
- R Development Core Team. 2012. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0, Available at http://www.R-project.org/ (accessed February 20, 2013).
- 1998. High phylogenetic diversity in a marine-snow-associated bacterial assemblage. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 14:261–269. , , , and .
- 2009. Latitudinal distribution of prokaryotic picoplankton populations in the Atlantic Ocean. Environ. Microbiol. 11:2078–2093. , , , , , and .
- 2003. Seasonal changes in the taxonomic composition of bacterioplankton in a coastal oligotrophic system. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 31:163–174. , , , and .
- 2009. Introducing mothur: open source, platform-independent, community supported software for describing and comparing microbial communities. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 75:7537–7541. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Microbial ecology of organic aggregates in aquatic ecosystems. Aquat. Microb. Ecol. 28:175–211. , , , and .
- 2006. Microbial diversity in the deep sea and the under-explored ‘rare biosphere’. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 103:12115–12120. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. Substrate-controlled succession of marine bacterioplankton populations induced by a phytoplankton bloom. Science 336:608–611. , , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Modern applied statistics with S. 4th ed. Springer, New York. ISBN 0-387-95457-0. , and .
- 2009. Statistical methods for detecting differentially abundant features in clinical metagenomic samples. PLoS Comput. Biol. 5:e1000352. doi: 10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000352. , , and .