Role of the mannose receptor in phagocytosis of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12 by antigen-presenting cells
Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Microbiology Open published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Volume 2, Issue 4, pages 610–617, August 2013
How to Cite
MicrobiologyOpen 2013; 2(4): 610–617
- Issue online: 12 AUG 2013
- Version of Record online: 26 JUN 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 20 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2013
- 2004. Probiotic bifidobacteria protect mice from lethal infection with Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli O157:H7. Infect. Immun. 72:2240–2247. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Regulation of phagosome maturation by signals from toll-like receptors. Science 304:1014–1018. , and .
- 2006. Production of interferon-γ by myeloid cells: fact or fancy? Trends Immunol. 27:282–290. , and .
- 2001. Anti-allergy properties of fermented foods: an important immunoregulatory mechanism of lactic acid bacteria? Int. Immunopharmacol. 1:891–901. , , and .
- 2006. The probiotic bacterium Lactobacillus casei induces activation of the gut mucosal immune system through innate immunity. Clin. Vaccine Immunol. 13:219–226. , and .
- 1998. Influence of culture conditions on exopolysaccharide production by Lactobacillus rhamnosus strain C83. J. Appl. Microbiol. 85:664–672. , , and .
- 2010. Two physically, functionally, and developmentally distinct peritoneal macrophage subsets. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 107:2568–2573. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Development of an improved procedure for isolation and purification of exopolysaccharides produced by Lactobacillus delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus NCFB 2483. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 67:202–208. , , and .
- 2002. Macrophage defences against respiratory tract infections. Br. Med. Bull. 61:45–61. , and .
- 2003. Immune modulation by silencing IL-12 production in dendritic cells using small interfering RNA. J. Immunol. 171:691–696. , , , , , , et al.
- 2012. MyD88 associated ROS generation is crucial for Lactobacillus induced IL-12 production in macrophage. PLoS One 7:1–8. , , , and .
- 2007. Oral treatment with probiotic Lactobacillus johnsonii NCC533 (La1) for a specific part of the weaning period prevents the development of atopic dermatitis induced after maturation in model mice, NC/Nga. Br. J. Dermatol. 156:499–509. , , , and .
- 2011. Nucleic acids of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12 are potent Toll-like receptor 7 and 9 ligands inducing interleukin-12 production from murine splenocytes and murine macrophage cell line J774.1. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol. 61:94–102. , , , and .
- 2013. Rapid induction of an immune response in rat peyer's patch after oral administration of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 77:863–866. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Intestinal villous M cells: an antigen entry site in the mucosal epithelium. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101:6110–6115. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. C-type lectins and phagocytosis. Immunobiology 214:562–575. , and .
- 2004. The effect of the heat-killed Lactococci, EC-12 on the host defence mechanism in mice after infection with Listeria monocytogenes. J. New Remedies Clin. 53:298–308. , , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Immunomodulatory and antitumor effects in vivo by the cytoplasmic fraction of Lactobacillus casei and Bifidobacterium longum. J. Vet. Sci. 5:41–48. , , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Trophic macrophages in development and disease. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 9:259–270.
- 1996. Interactions of human mannose-binding protein with lipoteichoic acids. Infect. Immun. 64:380–383. , , , and .
- 1990. Is there a role for lactobacilli in prevention of urogenital and intestinal infections? Clin. Microbiol. Rev. 3:335–344. , , , , and .
- 2007. Dectin-1 interaction with Mycobacterium tuberculosis leads to enhanced IL-12p40 production by splenic dendritic cells. J. Immunol. 179:3463–3471. , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Differential infection of mononuclear phagocytes by Francisella tularensis: role of the macrophage mannose receptor. J. Leukoc. Biol. 80:563–571. , and .
- 2010. Toll-like receptor 2- and MyD88-dependent phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and Rac1 activation facilitates the phagocytosis of Listeria monocytogenes by murine macrophages. Infect. Immun. 78:2857–2867. , , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Macrophage receptors and immune recognition. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 23:901–944. , , , , , and .
- 1995. Interleukin-12: a proinflammatory cytokine with immunoregulatory functions that bridge innate resistance and antigen-specific adaptive immunity. Annu. Rev. Immunol. 13:251–276.
- 2009. A cell preparation of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12 stimulates the luminal immunoglobulin A secretion in juvenile calves. Anim. Sci. J. 80:206–211. , , , , , and .
- 2006. The β-glucan receptor dectin-1 functions together with TLR2 to mediate macrophage activation by mycobacteria. Blood 108:3168–3175. , and .
- 2009. Diverse immune responses to orally administered heat-killed cell preparation of Enterococcus faecalis strain EC-12 in murine immune tissues. Biosci. Biotechnol. Biochem. 73:1439–1442. , , , , , and .