Absorptive capacity—one size fits all? A firm-level analysis of absorptive capacity for different kinds of knowledge
Article first published online: 28 MAY 2009
Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Managerial and Decision Economics
Volume 31, Issue 1, pages 1–18, January 2010
How to Cite
Schmidt, T. (2010), Absorptive capacity—one size fits all? A firm-level analysis of absorptive capacity for different kinds of knowledge. Manage. Decis. Econ., 31: 1–18. doi: 10.1002/mde.1423
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 28 MAY 2009
- 2000. Technological opportunities, absorptive capacities, and innovation. Volkswirtschaftliche Diskussionsreihe No. 255, Augsburg. , .
- 2004. Heterogeneity in R&D cooperation strategies. International Journal of Industrial Organization 22: 1237–1263. , , , , .
- 2004. Internal capabilities and external knowledge sources: complements or substitutes for innovative performance? Technovation 24: 29–39. , , .
- 1998. Absorbing technological spillovers: simulations in an evolutionary framework. Industrial & Corporate Change 7: 369–397. , .
- 2002. R&D cooperation and spillovers: some empirical evidence from Belgium. American Economic Review 44: 1169–1184. , .
- 1989. Innovation and learning: the two faces of R&D. Economic Journal 99: 569–596. , .
- 1990. Absorptive capacity: a new perspective on learning and innovation. Administrative Science Quarterly 35: 128–152. , .
- 1994. Fortune favors the prepared firm. Management Science 40: 227–251. , .
- 2004. Absorptive capacity and the implementation of knowledge-intensive best practices. SAM Advanced Management Journal 69: 21–27. .
- 2000. Learning from competing partners: outcomes and duration of scale and link alliances in Europe, North America and Asia. Strategic Management Journal 21: 99–126. , , .
- 2004. Co-operation, innovation and firm's absorptive capacity, mimeo. , , .
- 2001. Mixed logit models for multiparty elections. Political Analysis 9: 116–136. .
- 2003. Outsourcing knowledge creation: don't give the game away. Specialty Chemicals 23: 24–25. .
- 2002. Econometric Analysis. Prentice-Hall: New York. .
- 2003. Meet me halfway but don't rush: absorptive capacity and strategic R&D investment revisited. International Journal of Industrial Organization 21: 1091–1109. .
- 1996. Simulation of multivariate normal rectangle probabilities and their derivatives: theoretical and computational results. Journal of Econometrics 72: 85–134. , , .
- 2001. The Mannheim Innovation Panels (MIP and MIP-S) of the Centre for European Economic Research (ZEW). Journal of Applied Social Science Studies 121: 123–129. , , , .
- 2001. Absorptive capacity and new organisational capabilities: a TCS case study. Manchester Metropolitan University Business School Working Paper Series No. 01/02, Manchester. , .
- 2002. A thematic analysis and critical assessment of absorptive capacity research. Academy of Management Proceedings, vol. M1, Boston. , , .
- 2006. The reification of absorptive capacity research: a critical review and rejuvenation of the construct. Academy of Management Review 31: 833–863. , , .
- 1998. Relative absorptive capacity and inter-organizational learning. Strategic Management Journal 19: 461–477. , .
- 2007. Absorptive capacity, R&D spillovers and public policy. International Journal of Industrial Organisation 25: 1089–1108. , .
- 2004. Prospects for developing absorptive capacity through internal information provision. Strategic Management Journal 25: 331–345. , .
- 2004. The many faces of absorptive capacity: spillovers of copper interconnect technology for semiconductor chip. MIT Sloan School of Management No. 4110, Cambridge, MA. .
- 2005. The impact of knowledge management on MNC subsidiary performance: the role of absorptive capacity. Journal of International Business 45: 101–119. , , .
- 1999. What kind of knowledge can a firm absorb? International Journal of Technology Management 18: 149–172. , .
- 1995. Inward technology transfer and competitiveness: the role of national innovation systems. Cambridge Journal of Economics 19: 67–93. , .
- 2000. The impact of new manufacturing requirements on production line capacity and quality at a focused factory. Journal of Operations Management 18: 139–168. , , .
- 2004. Understanding absorptive capacity in an ‘innovation system’ context: consequences for economic and employment growth. MERIT-Infonomics Research Memorandum Series no. 3, Maastricht. .
- 1997. Factors behind cross-industry differences in technological progress. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics 8: 205–220. , .
- 1995. The Knowledge-creating Company. Oxford University Press: New York. , .
- 2003. The impact of technological opportunities and innovative capabilities on firms' output innovation. Creativity & Innovation Management 12: 137–145. , .
- 2004. Innovationsverhalten der Deutschen Wirtschaft—Indikatorenbericht zur Innovationserhebung 2003. ZEW Mannheim: Mannheim. , , , .
- 1999. Inter-firm technological cooperation: effects of absorptive capacity, firm-size and specialization. Economics of Innovation & New Technology 8: 253–271. .
- 1991. External linkages and innovation in small and medium-sized enterprises. R&D Management 21: 125–137. , .
- 2004. I like the way you move: an empirical investigation into the mechanisms behind first mover and follower strategies. ZEW Discussion Paper No. 04-87, Mannheim. , .
- 2001. Absorptive capacity and new product development. Journal of High Technology Management Research 12: 77–91. , , .
- 2003. Absorptive capacity: antecedents, models, and outcomes. In Blackwell Handbook of Organizational Learning and Knowledge Management, Easterby-SmithA, LylesM (eds). Blackwell: London;278–301. , , .
- 1999. Coevolution of firm absorptive capacity and knowledge environment: organizational forms and combinative capabilities. Organization Science: A Journal of the Institute of Management Sciences 10: 551–568. , , .
- 1997. Internal R&D expenditures and external technology sourcing. Research Policy 26: 303–315. .
- 2000. Absorptive Capacity and Innovation Performance: A Human Capital Approach. Department of Business Studies-DRUID/IKE Group, Aalborg University: Denmark. .
- 2001. Absorptive capacity and firm responsiveness: an empirical investigation of growth-oriented firms. Proceedings of the 2nd USASBE/SBIDA Conference. An Entrepreneurial Odyssey: Orlando, USA. , , .
- 1967. Hierarchical control and the optimum firm size. Journal of Political Economy 75: 123–138. .
- 2002. Absorptive capacity: a review and reconceptualization, and extension. Academy of Management Review 27: 185–203. , .