Modeling the Transition from Enhanced Oil Recovery to Geologic Carbon Sequestration
Article first published online: 3 MAR 2013
Copyright © 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Managerial and Decision Economics
Volume 35, Issue 1, pages 20–35, January 2014
How to Cite
Bandza, A. J. and Vajjhala, S. P. (2014), Modeling the Transition from Enhanced Oil Recovery to Geologic Carbon Sequestration. Manage. Decis. Econ., 35: 20–35. doi: 10.1002/mde.2603
- Issue published online: 16 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 3 MAR 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 3 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 8 JAN 2013
- Manuscript Received: 14 AUG 2011
- American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, S. 1, 111th Cong. 2009.
- 2004. Prospects for carbon capture and storage technologies. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 29: 109–142. , .
- 2005. Lessons Learned from Natural and Industrial Analogues in Carbon Dioxide Capture for Storage in Deep Geologic Formations—Results from the CO2 Capture Project, Vol. 2: Geologic Storage of Carbon Dioxide with Monitoring and Verification, Elsevier Publishing: London, UK. .
- 2008. CO2 sequestration in deep sedimentary formations. Elements 4: 325–331. , .
- 2004. Overview of monitoring techniques and protocols for geologic storage of CO2. IEA Greenhouse Gas R&D Programme. , , .
- 2008. Returns to scale for carbon capture and storage infrastructure and deployment. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs Discussion Paper 2008-04. .
- 2004. A simulation method for the rapid screening of potential depleted oil reservoirs for CO2 sequestration. Energy 29: 1347–1359. , .
- 2004. Carbon management strategies for US electricity generation capacity: a vintage-based approach. Energy 29: 1589–1598. , .
- 2006. Health, safety and environmental risks of underground CO2 storage—overview of mechanisms and current knowledge. Climate Change 74: 289–318. , , .
- 2007. The liability of carbon dioxide storage. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Ph.D. dissertation. .
- DOE (U.S. Department of Energy). 2008. DOE's FutureGen Initiative. Available at http://www.fossil.energy.gov/programs/powersystems/futuregen/ [accessed on 10 May 2010]
- DOE. 2009. EIA—Petroleum Basic Data. Available at http://www.eia.doe.gov/basics/quickoil.html [accessed on 15 May 2010]
- DOE. 2010a. Annual Energy Outlook 2010. Available at http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/aeo/ [accessed on 28 June 2010]
- DOE. 2010b. International Energy Outlook 2010. Available at http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/ieo/ [accessed on 28 June 2010]
- DOE. 2010c. NETL Carbon Capture and Storage Database. Available at http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/carbon_seq/database/ [accessed on 2 June 2010]
- 2004. A CO2-storage supply curve for North America and its implications for the deployment of carbon dioxide capture and storage systems. University of Maryland, College Park. Joint Global Change Research Institute. , , , , , .
- 2004. Geochemical monitoring of fluid–rock interaction and CO2 storage at the Weyburn CO2-injection enhanced oil recovery site, Saskatchewan, Canada. Energy 29: 1393–1401. , , , , , .
- EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2008. Federal Requirements under the Underground Injection Control (UIC) Program for Carbon Dioxide (CO2) Geologic Sequestration (GS) Wells; Proposed Rule. Federal Register, 25 July: 43492–43541.
- EPA. 2009. EPA Analysis of the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 H.R. 2454 in the 111th Congress. Available at http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/economics/pdfs/HR2454_Analysis.pdf [accessed on 20 June 2010]
- European Commission. 2006. Sustainable Power Generation from Fossil Fuels: Aiming for Near-Zero Emissions from Coal after 2020. Available at http://www.ec.europa.eu/energy/energy_policy/doc/16_communication_fossil_fuels_en.pdf [accessed on 10 May 2010]
- 2003. Carbon storage: the economic efficiency of storing CO2 in leaky reservoirs. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy 5: 181–189. , .
- 2003. Environmental Assessment of Geologic Storage of CO2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Laboratory for Energy and the Environment. , , .
- 2005. Geologic storage of carbon dioxide as a climate change mitigation strategy: performance requirements and the implications of surface seepage. Environmental Geology 47: 576–585. , .
- 2006. Measuring permanence of CO2 storage in saline formations: the Frio experiment. Environmental Geosciences 13: 105–121. , , , , , , , , , , , .
- IEA (International Energy Agency). 2006. IEA Energy Technology Essentials: CO2 Capture & Storage. Available at http://www.iea.org/textbase/techno/essentials1.pdf [accessed on 10 May 2010]
- IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change). 2005. IPCC Special Report on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage, Metz B, Davidson O, de Coninck HC, Loos M, Meyer LA (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge.
- 2004. Can geological carbon capture and storage be competitive? CICERO (Center for International Climate and Environmental Research Oslo), Working Paper. , .
- 2008. 2008 Worldwide EOR Survey. Oil & Gas Journal: 47–59. .
- 2005. Geologic storage of carbon dioxide and enhanced oil recovery. II. Cooptimization of storage and recovery. Energy Conversion and Management 46: 1941–1956. , .
- 1992. Carbon dioxide flooding. Journal of Petroleum Technology 44: 396–400. , .
- 2008. An engineering-economic model of pipeline transport of CO2 with application to carbon capture and storage. International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 2: 219–229. , .
- 2003. Global constraints on reservoir leakage. In Proceedings of the Sixth International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies, Gale J, Kaya Y (eds). Pergamon Press: Amsterdam, the Netherlands. .
- 2004. Stabilization wedges: solving the climate problem for the next 50 years with current technologies. Science 305: 968–972. , .
- 2007. Should a coal-fired power plant be replaced or retrofitted? Environmental Science & Technology 41: 7980–7986. , , , .
- PointCarbon, Inc. 2008. Carbon 2008: Post-2012 Is Now. Available at http://www.pointcarbon.com/research/carbonmarketresearch/analyst/1.912721 [accessed on 20 June 2010]
- Safe Drinking Water Act of 1974. P.L. 93-523, Dec. 16, 1974, 88 Stat. 1660.
- SPE (Society of Petroleum Engineers). 2010. Glossary of Industry Terminology. Available at http://www.spe.org/industry/reference/glossary.php [accessed on 10 May 2010]
- 2005. The case for carbon capture and storage. Issues in Science and Technology 22: 69–76. , .
- 2004. Greenhouse gas sequestration in abandoned oil reservoirs: the International Energy Agency Weyburn Pilot Project. GSA Today 14: 4–10. , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Regulating the geological sequestration of carbon dioxide. Environmental Science & Technology 42: 2718–2722. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Regulating the ultimate sink: managing the risks of geologic CO2 storage. Environmental Science & Technology 37: 3476–3483. , , .