The effectiveness of exercise interventions for people with Parkinson's disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis
Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
Copyright © 2008 Movement Disorder Society
Volume 23, Issue 5, pages 631–640, 15 April 2008
How to Cite
Goodwin, V. A., Richards, S. H., Taylor, R. S., Taylor, A. H. and Campbell, J. L. (2008), The effectiveness of exercise interventions for people with Parkinson's disease: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Mov. Disord., 23: 631–640. doi: 10.1002/mds.21922
- Issue published online: 24 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 7 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Accepted: 27 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Revised: 16 NOV 2007
- Manuscript Received: 4 JUN 2007
- Clinical Academic Fellowship Scheme funded by Devon and Cornwall Workforce Development Confederation
- Plymouth Teaching Primary Care Trust
- Personal Award Scheme Researcher Development Award from the National Institute of Health Research (Department of Health)
- 1Optimizing exercise and physical activity in older adults. Edinburgh: Butterworth Heinemann; 2004., .
- 9Trunk muscle training and early Parkinson's disease. Physiother Theor Pract 1997; 13: 139–153., .
- 10A rational for strength training in patients with Parkinson's disease. Neurol Rep 1997; 21: 132–135..
- 16Physiotherapy versus placebo or no intervention in Parkinson's disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; 3., , , , .
- 17Physiotherapy for Parkinson's disease: a comparison of techniques. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2001; 1., , , , , .
- 22Analysing and presenting results. In: HigginsJPT, GreenS, editors. Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions, version 4.2.6 (updated September 2006). Chichester, UK: Wiley; 2006. p 97–166., , .
- 23Centre for Reviews and Dissemination. Undertaking systematic reviews of research on effectiveness: CRD Report 4. York, UK: University of York, NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination; 1996.
- 24Randomised controlled trials. London: BMJ Books; 1998..
- 25Vote-counting procedures in meta-analysis. In: CooperH, HedgesLV, editors. The handbook of research synthesis. New York: Russell Sage foundation; 1984. p 193–213..
- 26Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences. New York: Academic Press; 1977..
- 31Aerobic exercise and early Parkinson's disease. J Neurol Rehabil 1996; 10: 233–241., .
- 43Epidemiology and genetics of Parkinson's disease. In: WattsRL, KollerWC, editors. Movement disorders. Neurologic principles and practice. New York: McGraw Hill; 1996. p 137–160., , .
- 44Medical Research Council. A framework for development and evaluation of RCT's for complex interventions to improve health. London: Medical Research Council; 2000.
- 45Physical dimensions of Aging. Champaign, Illinois: Human Kinetcs; 1995..
- 46Why and how sources of heterogeneity should be investigated. In: EggerM, SmithGD, AltmanDG, editors. Systematic reviews in health care: meta-analysis in context, 2nd ed. London: BMJ Publishing Group; 2001. p 157–175..