Funding agencies: Newron and Merck Serono
Randomized trial of safinamide add-on to levodopa in Parkinson's disease with motor fluctuations
Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Movement Disorders published by Wiley on behalf of the International Parkinson and Movement Disorder Society. This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited and is not used for commercial purposes.
Volume 29, Issue 2, pages 229–237, February 2014
How to Cite
Borgohain, R., Szasz, J., Stanzione, P., Meshram, C., Bhatt, M., Chirilineau, D., Stocchi, F., Lucini, V., Giuliani, R., Forrest, E., Rice, P., Anand, R. and Study 016 Investigators (2014), Randomized trial of safinamide add-on to levodopa in Parkinson's disease with motor fluctuations. Mov. Disord., 29: 229–237. doi: 10.1002/mds.25751
Relevant conflicts of interest/financial disclosures: Nothing to report.
Full financial disclosures and author roles may be found in the online version of this article.
The Study 016 Investigators are listed in the Appendix.
- Issue online: 20 FEB 2014
- Version of Record online: 9 DEC 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 10 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Received: 13 JUN 2013
- 1Levodopa therapeutics for Parkinson's disease: new developments. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2009;15(Suppl 1):S31-S34..
- 4Review of the therapeutic management of Parkinson's disease. Report of a joint task force of the European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS) and the Movement Disorder Society-European Section (MDS-ES). Part II: late (complicated) Parkinson's disease. Eur J Neurol 2006;13:1186-1202., , , et al.
- 18Rasagiline as an adjunct to levodopa in patients with Parkinson's disease and motor fluctuations (LARGO, Lasting effect in Adjunct therapy with Rasagiline Given Once daily, study): a randomised, double- blind, parallel-group trial. Lancet 2005;365:947-954., , , et al.
- 19Safinamide reduces levodopa-induced dyskinesia in MPTP-lesioned primates while prolonging anti-parkinsonian efficacy. Mov Disord 2010;25(Suppl 2):S411., , .
- 22SETTLE: a study design: 24-week, double- blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of safinamide as add-on therapy to levodopa in patients with Parkinson's Disease. Mov Disord 2010;25(Suppl 2):S308., , , et al.
- 26Safinamide, a new anti-parkinson agent is effective and well-tolerated in early PD patients on a stable dose of a single DA- agonist: Results of a randomized, international, placebo-controlled Phase III trial. Neurology 2007;68(12 Suppl 1):A109., , , et al.
- 28Study Investigators. Long-term safety and efficacy of safinamide added to dopamine agonists in early Parkinson's disease (PD). Neurology 2008;70(11 Suppl 1):A424., , , et al.;
- 29MOTION (safinaMide add-On To dopamine agonist in early Idiopathic ParkinsON's disease) study design: a 24 week, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of the efficacy and safety of safinamide. Mov Disord 2010;25(Suppl 2):S289., , , et al.