Understanding and enhancing the public's behavioural response to flood warning information
Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Flood Forecasting and Warning
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 103–114, March 2009
How to Cite
Parker, D. J., Priest, S. J. and Tapsell, S. M. (2009), Understanding and enhancing the public's behavioural response to flood warning information. Met. Apps, 16: 103–114. doi: 10.1002/met.119
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 21 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 26 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 21 NOV 2008
- Manuscript Received: 24 OCT 2008
- European Commission FLOODsite Integrated. Grant Number: GOCE-CT-2004-5054290
- 2005. Recent advances in flood forecasting and flood risk assessment. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 9: 280–284. , , .
- 2002. Non-formal Learning: Mapping and Conceptual Terrain: A Consultation Report. University of Leeds Lifelong Learning Institute: Leeds. , , .
- DEFRA/EA. 2008. Supporting the Development of a Social Science Strategy for FCERM R&D, FD2604 Technical Summary. DEFRA/EA: London.
- 2007. Risk Construction and Social Vulnerability in an Italian Alpine Region, FLOODsite Report No. T11-2006-08. ISIG: Gorizia. , , , .
- 1977. Warning for Flash Floods in Boulder, Colorado, Natural Hazard Working Paper 31. Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado: Boulder, CO. .
- 1969. Social processes in disaster: family evacuation. Social Problems 16: 336–347. .
- 1986. Human System Responses to Disaster: An Inventory of Sociological Findings. Springer-Verlag: New York. .
- 1994. Risk perceptions of tourist business managers. Environmental Professional 16: 327–341. .
- 2000. The social factors that constrain human responses to flood warnings. In Floods, Vol. 1, ParkerDJ (ed.). Routledge: London; 361–376. .
- 2007. Risk factors for driving into flooded roads. Environmental Hazards 7(3): 227–234. , , .
- 2007. Advances and challenges in flash flood warnings. Environmental Hazards 7(3): 173–178. , .
- Environment Agency. 2007a. Public Response to Flood Warnings, Science Report—SC)20116. Environment Agency: Bristol.
- Environment Agency. 2007b. Response to Flooding 2007. Response to Flood Events of January 2007 in Midlands Region and North East Region. Environment Agency: Bristol.
- 1985. The Conditions of Learning. Holt, Reinhart and Winston: New York. .
- 2004. Early warning systems: do's and don'ts. Report of a Early Warning Systems Workshop. Usuable Science 8, Shanghai. .
- 1999. A simple Procedure for Estimating Loss of Life From Dam Failure, Report DSO-99-6. Bureau of Reclamation: Denver, CO. .
- 1989. Powerful Learning Experiences in Management Learning and Development. Brathay Hall Trust: Ambleside. .
- 2000. Flash floods: warning and mitigation efforts and prospects. In Floods, Vol. 1, ParkerDJ (ed.). Routledge: London; 377–390. , .
- 2000. Are flood warnings futile? The Australasian Journal of Disaster and Trauma Studies, Vol. 2000–2002. Massey University: Palmerston North, NZ. .
- 1986. Flood warning and response. In Flood Warning in Australia, Section 17, SmithDI, HandmerJW (eds). Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, Australian National University: Canberra; 235–237. , .
- 2008.. Householder responses to flood risk: the consequences of the search for ontological security. Unpublished PhD thesis. Middlesex University: Enfield, London. .
- 1987. Adult Learning in the Social Context. Routledge: London. .
- 2005. Global perspectives on loss of human life causes in floods. Natural Hazards 34: 151–175. .
- 2005. An analysis of the causes and circumstances of flood disaster deaths. Disasters 29(1): 75–79. , .
- 2002. Loss of life models for sea and river floods. In Flood Defence 2002, WuB, WangZ-Y, WangG, HuangGGH, FangH, HuangJ (eds). Science Press: New York; 196–206. , , .
- 2005. Mortality in flood disasters. In Extreme Weather Events and Public Health Response, KirchW, MenneB, BertolliniR (eds). Springer-Verlag: Berlin; 197–206. , .
- 2001. Adults' Informal Learning: Definitions, findings, gaps and future research, NALL Working Paper 21: Toronto. .
- 2003. Risk perception, stress and coping strategies in two catastrophe risk situations. Social Behaviour and Personality 31(1): 61–70. , .
- 2006. Hydrological forecasting uncertainty assessment: incoherence of the GLUE methodology. Journal of Hydrology 330: 368–381. , .
- 2006. Preconsultation social survey, community based flood risk reduction options, reach 4: walton bridge to teddington. Report prepared for Halcrow Group Ltd, Lower Themes Strategy Study Phase 3. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: London. , , .
- 2004. Public Hazards Communication and Education: The State of the Art. Institute of Behavioral Science, University of Colorado: Boulder, CO. .
- 1992. The causal sequence of risk communication in the parkfield earthquake prediction experiment. Risk Analysis 12(3): 93–400. , .
- 2004. Public Hazards Communication and Education: The State of the Art, Natural Hazards Informer Issue 2. Natural Hazards Research and Applications Information Center: Boulder, CO. , , , , .
- 2002. Risk Communication: A Mental Models Approach. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. , , , .
- 2005. Cascading model uncertainty from medium range weather forecasts (10 days) through a rainfall-runoff model to flood inundation predictions within the European Flood Forecasting System (EFFS). Hydrological and Earth System Sciences 9: 103–115. , , , , , , .
- 1991. The damage reducing effects of flood warnings. Report for Halcrow Water for the National Rivers Authority, Regional Telemetry Scheme Appraisal. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. .
- 1998. The tropical cyclone warning dissemination system in Mauritius. Forecasts and Warnings, Section 1. UK National Coordination Committee for the International Decade for Natural Disaster Reduction, Thomas Telford: London. , .
- 1998. The role of unofficial flood warning systems. Journal of Crisis and Contingencies Management 6(1): 45–60. , .
- 1990. Evaluating the performance of flood warning systems. In Hazards and the Communication of Risk, HandmerJW, Penning-RowsellEC (eds). Gower Technical Press: Aldershot; 137–156. , .
- 2008. Modelling the Damage Reducing Effects of Flood Warnings, FLOODsite Final Report T10-07-12. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex university: London. , , , .
- 2007a. Enhancing the human benefits of flood warnings. Natural Hazards 43: 397–414. , , .
- 2007b. New insights into the benefits of flood warnings: Results from a household survey in England and Wales. Environmental Hazards 7(3): 193–210. , , .
- 2005. Estimating injury and loss of life in floods: A deterministic framework. Natural Hazards 36: 43–64. , , , .
- 2008. Learning Lessons from the 2007 Floods. The Pitt Review Cabinet Office: London. .
- 2004. Health impacts of flooding in Lewes: a comparison of reported gastrointestinal and other illness and mental health in flooded and non-flooded households. Communicable Disease and Public Health 7(1): 1–8. , , , , , , , , .
- RPA/FHRC (Risk and Policy Analysts/Flood Hazard Research Centre). 2004. The Appraisal of Human-related Intangible Impacts of Flooding, Report to Defra/EA, R&D Project FD2005. Defra: London.
- 2007. How to get there? Assessing motorists' flash flood perception on daily intineraries. Environmental Hazards 7(3): 227–234. , , .
- 2004. Vulnerabilitie face aux crues rapides et mobilites des population en temps de crise. La Houille Blances 6: 114–119. , .
- 2000. Informing and educating the public about risk. In Risk Perception, SlovicP (ed.). Earthscan Publications: London; 182–198. .
- 2002. Rational actors or rational fools? Implications of the affect heuristic for behavioral economics. Journal of Socio-Economics 31: 329–342. , , , .
- 1994. Deaths due to flash floods in Puerto Rico, January 1992: Implications for prevention. International Journal of Epidemiology 23(5): 968–975. , , , , .
- 2007. Social vulnerability and the 2003 flood. Country Report Germany (Mulde River). FLOODsite Report No. T11-07-08. UFZ: Leipzig. , .
- 2004. The Social Performance of Flood Warning Communication Technologies, Environment Agency Technical Report W5X-016. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. , , , .
- 2000. Follow-up of Health Effects of the Easter 1998 Flooding in Banbury and Kidlington, Report to the Environment Agency, Thames Region. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. , .
- 2001. The Health and Social Effects of the June 2000 Flooding in the North East Region, Report to the Environment Agency, Thames Region. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. , .
- 1999. The Heath Effects of the Easter 1998 Flooding in Banbury and Kidlington, Report to the Environment Agency, Thames Region. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. , , , .
- 2005. Flood damage and influencing factors: New insights from the August 2002 flood in Germany. Water Resources Research 41: 1–16. , , , .
- 2005. European Flood Alert System (EFAS). 3rd Annual Report. JRC/IES/LMU Weather Driven Natural Hazards Action (4336). Joint Research Centre: Brussels. , , .
- 1992. The Flood Warning System and Flood Events of January and February 1990 in Maidenhead and Other Locations in the Western Area of the NRA Thames Region. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: Enfield. .
- 2007. Vulnerability and Flooding: A Re-analysis of FHRC Data (Country Report England and Wales), Report T11-07-10 of FLOODsite Integrated Project. Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex university: Enfield. , , .
- 2006. The health effects of flooding: Social research results from England and Wales. Journal of Water and Health 4(3): 365–380. , , , , .
- 1973. Availability: a heuristic for judging frequency and probability. Cognitive Psychology 5(2): 207–232. , .
- 2008. Demystifying social science research in flood risk management. In Paper presented at the Annual Flood and Coastal Management Conference, Manchester. , , , , , , .
- 2000. Flood evacuation during the floods of 1995 in The Netherlands. In Floods, Vol. 1, ParkerDJ (ed.). Routledge: London; 351–360. , .
- 1992. Methode voor de bepaling van het aantal doden als gevolg van inundatie, Report TNO B-91-1099. .
- 1995. Resistance of personal risk perceptions to debiasing interventions. Health Psychology 14: 132–140. , .
- 2007. Virtual Learning Environments: Using, Choosing and Developing your VLE. Routledge: London. .
- 2007. Exploring the Social Impacts of Flood Risk and Flooding in Scotland. Scottish Executive: Scottish Executive Social Research: Edinburgh. , , , , .