Long lead time flood warnings: reality or fantasy?
Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009. Reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO. Published by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd
Special Issue: Flood Forecasting and Warning
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 3–12, March 2009
How to Cite
Golding, B. W. (2009), Long lead time flood warnings: reality or fantasy?. Met. Apps, 16: 3–12. doi: 10.1002/met.123
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 JAN 2008
- Manuscript Revised: 3 DEC 2007
- Manuscript Received: 11 SEP 2007
- BMRB International. 2001. Flood Warning Dissemination Post Event Survey Autumn 2000. Environment Agency: Bristol.
- 2007. The MOGREPS short-range ensemble prediction system Part II: Performance and Verification. Met Office Forecasting Research Technical Note No. 498, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/nwp/publications/papers/technical_reports/index.html. , , , , , .
- 2006. STEPS: a probabilistic precipitation forecasting scheme which merges an extrapolation nowcast with downscaled NWP. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 132: 2127–2155. , , .
- 2007. The convective storms initiation project. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 1939–1955. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1998. Easter 1998 Floods. Environment Agency: Bristol. , .
- 2005. A new dynamical core for the Met Office's global and regional modelling of the atmosphere. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 131: 1759–1782. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Feasibility Study into Expanding Flood Warning to Cover Other Flood Risks (Reference RF5) Appendix F: Expanding the Existing Service to Cover Pluvial Flooding, JacobsGIBB Ltd. , , , , .
- 1999. Understanding disaster warning responses. Social Science Journal 36: 515–523. .
- Environment Agency. 2001. Lessons Learned: Autumn 2000 Floods. Environment Agency: Bristol.
- Environment Agency. 2005. Making Space for Water: Taking Forward a New Government Strategy for Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management in England: Delivery Plan. Environment Agency: Bristol.
- Environment Agency. 2006. Scoping the Development and Implementation of Flood and Coastal RASP Models (RASP—Risk Assessment for System Planning). Science Report SC050065/SR1, Environment Agency: Bristol.
- 2007. Public Response to Flood Warning. R&D Technical Report SC020116, Environment Agency: Bristol. , , , .
- 2000. Existing operational oceanography. Coastal Engineering 41: 13–40. .
- 2005. The Boscastle Flood: Meteorological analysis of the conditions leading to flooding on 16 August 2004. Weather 60: 230–235. , , .
- 2008. Reliability analysis of flood defence systems, HR Wallingford report. , , .
- 2006. Flooding in Cumbria on 7/8 January 2005: A study of meteorological conditions, Met Office report. , .
- 2008. Characteristics of high resolution versions of the Met Office Unified Model for forecasting convection over the United Kingdom. Monthly Weather Review 136: 3408–3424. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Early warnings of severe weather from ensemble forecast information. Weather and Forecasting 19: 891–906. , .
- Met Office. 2004. ISB Pluvial Flooding project Stage 1: Identification of rainfall and catchment state thresholds, Met Office report.
- 1996. The ECMWF ensemble prediction system: methodology and validation. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 122: 73–119. , , , .
- 1999. Real time flood forecasting systems: perspectives and prospects. In Floods and Landslides: Integrated Risk Assessment, CasaleR, MargottiniC (eds). Springer: Heidelberg 147–189, Chapter 11. .
- 2006. Towards stochastic fluvial flood forecasting: quantification of uncertainty in very short range QPF's and its propagation through hydrological and decision making models. In Proceedings of the Second ACTIF Workshop on Quantification, Reduction and Dissemination of Uncertainty in Flood Forecasting, WL|Delft Hydraulics, Delft. , , , , .
- 2005. Cascading model uncertainty from medium range forecasts (10 days) through a rainfall-runoff model to flood inundation predictions within the European Flood Forecasting System (EFFS). Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 9: 381–393. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Understanding and enhancing the public's behavioural response to flood warning information, This volume. , , .
- 2008. Learning the Lessons from the 2007 floods: an independent review by Sir Michael Pitt, http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/thepittreview.aspx. .
- 2006. Simulations of extreme rainfall events using the Unified Model with a grid spacing of 12, 4 and 1km, Met Office Forecasting Research Technical Report No. 486, http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/research/nwp/publications/papers/technical_reports/index.html. .
- 2009. Use of high resolution NWP rainfall and river flow forecasts for advance warning of the Carlisle flood, northwest England, This volume. , , , , .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Monthly Weather Review 136: 78–97. , .
- 2007. Probabilistic Flood Forecasting Scoping Study, R&D Technical Report FD2901/TR. Defra: London. , , , .
- 2005. The Social Performance of Flood Warning Communications Technologies, Technical Report W5C-016. Environment Agency: Bristol. , , , .
- 2002. Vulnerability to flooding: Health and Social Dimensions. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society, London A360: 1511–1525. , , , .
- 2009. Beating chaos: EPS based flood forecasting for improved early warning, This volume. , , , , .
- 2004. Development and testing of a Pan-European Flood Alert System (EFAS), Abstracts of 2nd European Flood Alert System (EFAS) Workshop, Ispra, 10–12 November 2004. , , , , , .
- 2005. Flood Warning for Vulnerable Groups: A Qualitative Study, Science report SC990007/SR3. Environment Agency: Bristol. , , .
- 1997. Ensemble forecasting at NCEP and the breeding method. Monthly Weather Review 12: 3297–3319. , .