Recent developments in operational flood forecasting in England, Wales and Scotland
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Flood Forecasting and Warning
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 13–22, March 2009
How to Cite
Werner, M., Cranston, M., Harrison, T., Whitfield, D. and Schellekens, J. (2009), Recent developments in operational flood forecasting in England, Wales and Scotland. Met. Apps, 16: 13–22. doi: 10.1002/met.124
- Issue published online: 11 MAR 2009
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 18 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 18 NOV 2008
- 1997. Development of a flood warning system for the River Tay catchment. In Flood Warnings: Issues and Practice in Total System Design, HandmerJ (ed.). Flood Hazard Research Centre, Middlesex University: London, UK; 47–51. .
- 1992. A review of flood warning schemes on mainland Scotland. Joint Meeting of the Scottish Branch of the Institution of Water and Environmental Management. ICE Scottish Hydrological Group and Scottish Hydraulics Study Group: Perth; 6, 31 March 1992. , , , , , , .
- 2007. Development of a high resolution grid-based river flow model for use with regional climate model output. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 11(1): 532–549. , , , .
- 2008. The MOGREPS short-range ensemble prediction system. Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 134(632): 703–722. , , , , .
- 1998. Easter Floods 1998: Report by the Independent Review Team to the Board of the Environment Agency, Vol. 1. Environment Agency: Bristol, 30 September. , .
- 2007. Flood forecasting in the Anglian region: user-driven development towards forecasting flood risk. In Flood Risk Management in Europe, BegumS, StiveMJF, HallJW. (eds). Springer: the Netherlands; 385–399. , , .
- 2004. Quantifying the benefit of a flood warning system. Natural Hazards Review 5: 31–140. , , .
- 2000. Fluvial flood forecasting. Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management 14: 270–276. .
- 2007. Flood Early Warning System (FEWS) Scotland: an example of real time system and forecasting model development and delivery best practice. DEFRA Conference on Flood and Coastal Management, Paper 02–3, York. , , , , , , .
- 1990. Integrated real time data retrieval and flood forecasting using conceptual models. In International Conference on River Flood Hydraulics, WhiteWR (ed.). John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, UK; 21–30. , .
- EU. 2007. Directive 2007/60/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on the assessment and management of flood risks. Official Journal of the European Communities L288: 27–34.
- 2003. Recent developments in flood warning in Scotland. Floods in Scotland: Volume of Extended Abstracts. ICE Scottish Hydrological Group: Perth, 25 April 2003. .
- 1998. An integrated approach to flood forecasting and warning in England and wales. Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management 12: 425–432. .
- 2001. Improving flood warnings in Europe: a research and policy agenda. Environmental Hazards 3: 19–28. .
- 2008. Probabilistic coastal flood forecasting. FLOODrisk 2008. Keble College: Oxford, 30 September—2 October 2008. , , , , , .
- 2001. Environment Agency current practice and planned developments. In Flood Forecasting: What does the Current Research Offer the Practitioner? LeesM, WalshP (eds). British Hydrological Society: London, BHS Occasional Paper 12: 64–69, ISBN: 09848540990. , .
- 2007. Numerical modelling in coastal flood forecasting and warning in England and Wales. In Flood Risk Management in Europe, BegumS, StiveMJF, HallJW. (eds). Springer: the Netherlands; 417–429. , .
- 2005. Flood forecasting and warning in the Firth of Clyde, UK. Natural Hazards 36(1–2): 257–271. , , .
- 2006. Issues in flood forecasting: ungauged basins, extreme floods and uncertainty. In Frontiers in Flood Research, TchiguirinskaiaI, TheinKNN, HubertP (eds). UNESCO: IAHS Publication 305: Paris; 103–122. 8th Kovacs Colloquium, June/July 2006. , , , .
- 1990. A basin-wide flow forecasting system for real time flood warning, river control and water management. In International Conference on River Flood Hydraulics, WhiteWR (ed.). John Wiley & Sons: Chichester, UK; pp. 21–30. , , , .
- 2007. Influence of uncertain boundary conditions and model structure on flood inundation predictions. Advances in Water Resources 29(10): 1430–1449. , , , , , .
- 1996. Evaluation of flood forecasting, warning and response systems in the European union. Water Resources Management 10: 279–302. , .
- 2000. The benefits of flood warnings: real but elusive, and politically significant. Journal of the Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management 14: 7–14. , , , .
- 2008. The Pitt Review: Learning Lessons from the 2007 Floods. Cabinet Office: London. (http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/thepittreview.aspxLastaccessed14-11-2008). .
- 2008. Use of high-resolution NWP rainfall and river flow forecasts for advance warning of the Carlisle flood, north-west England. Meteorological Applications. In press. DOI: 10.1002/met.94. , , , , .
- Scottish Government. 2008. Flood Risk Management (Scotland) Bill. SP Bill 15. Session 3 (2008).
- 2004. Flood hazard management in england and wales: from land drainage to flood risk management. World Congress on Natural Disaster Mitigation, New Delhi, 19–22 February 2004. , , .
- 2004. DELFT-FEWS: an open shell flood forecasting system. In 6th International Conference on Hydroinformatics, LiongSY, PhoonK, BabovicV (eds). World Scientific Publishing Company: Singapore; 1205–1212. , , .
- 2007. On model integration in operational flood forecasting. Hydrological Processes 21: 1519–1521, DOI: 10.1002/hyp.6726. , .
- 2005. The National Flood Forecasting System (NFFS) of the UK environment agency. In International Conference on Innovation, Advances and Implementation of Flood Forecasting Technology, BalabanisP, LumbrosoD, SamuelsP (eds). Tromsø. Published online: http://www.actif-ec.net (last accessed 7-8-2008). .