Flash flood warning in ungauged basins by use of the flash flood guidance and model-based runoff thresholds
Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Flood Forecasting and Warning
Volume 16, Issue 1, pages 65–75, March 2009
How to Cite
Norbiato, D., Borga, M. and Dinale, R. (2009), Flash flood warning in ungauged basins by use of the flash flood guidance and model-based runoff thresholds. Met. Apps, 16: 65–75. doi: 10.1002/met.126
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2009
- Version of Record online: 19 FEB 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Received: 11 NOV 2008
- European Community's Sixth Framework Programme
- 2005. Rainfall-runoff modelling of ungauged catchments. Article 133 in Encyclopedia of Hydrological Sciences, AndersonMG (ed.). John Wiley & Sons: Chichester; 2061–2080. .
- 2007. Hydrometeorological analysis of the August 29, 2003 flash flood in the eastern Italian Alps. Journal of Hydrometeorology 8(5): 1049–1067. , , , .
- 2005. Regional rainfall depth-duration-frequency equations for an alpine region. Natural Hazards 36: 221–235. , , .
- 2002. Long-term assessment of bias adjustment in radar rainfall estimation. Water Resources Research 38(11): 1226, DOI:10.1029/2001WR000555. , , , .
- 2008. Surveying flash flood response: gauging the ungauged extremes. Hydrological Processes 22(18): 3883–3885. , , , .
- 1999. National threshold runoff estimation utilizing GIS in support of operational flash flood warning systems. Journal of Hydrology 224: 21–44. , , , , .
- 1996. Snowmelt modelling by combining air temperature and a distributed radiation index. Journal of Hydrology 181: 169–187. , .
- 2007. Flash flood forecasting: what are the limits of predictability? Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society 133(622A): 3–23. .
- 2003. Radar hydrology modifies the monitoring of flash flood hazard. Hydrological Processes 17(7): 1453–1456, DOI 10.10002/hyp.5122. , .
- 1997. Use of digital elevation model data for the derivation of the geomorphologic instantaneous unit hydrograph. Hydrological Processes 11: 13–33. , .
- 1992. Effective and efficient global optimization for conceptual rainfall-runoff models. Water Resources Research 28(4): 265–284. , , .
- 1992. Advances in forecasting flash floods. Proceedings of the CCNAA-AIT Joint Seminar on Prediction and Damage Mitigation of Meteorologically Induced Natural Disasters. National Taiwan University: Taipei; 280–293, 21–24 May 1992. .
- 2004. Mitigating adverse hydrological impacts of storms on a global scale with high resolution, global flash flood guidance. Abstracts Volume of International Conference on Storms/AMOS-MSNZ National Conference. Australian Meteorological Society: Brisbane; 23–30, 5–9 July. .
- 2006. Analytical results for operational flash flood guidance. Journal of Hydrology 317(1–2): 81–103, DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2005.05.009. .
- 1982. Estimating potential evapotranspiration. Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 108: 225–230. , .
- 1986. Operational testing of hydrological simulation models. Hydrological Sciences Journal 31: 13–24. .
- 2006. A Bayesian decision approach to rainfall thresholds based flood warning. Hydrological and Earth System Sciences 10: 413–426. , , .
- 1978. NWS's flash flood warning and disaster preparedness programs. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 59: 690–699. , , .
- 1985. The probability-distributed principle and runoff production at point and basin scales. Hydrological Sciences Journal 30: 273–297. .
- 1970. River flow forecasting through conceptual models, part I: a discussion of principles. Journal of Hydrology 10: 282–290. , .
- 2008. Flash flood warning based on rainfall depth-duration thresholds and soil moisture conditions: An assessment for gauged and ungauged basins. Journal of Hydrology 362(3–4): 274–290, DOI:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2008.08.023. , , , , .
- 2006. On the uncertainties of flash flood guidance: towards probabilistic forecasting of flash floods. Journal of Hydrometeorology 7: 896–915. , , .
- 2007. A distributed hydrologic model and threshold frequency-based method for flash flood forecasting at ungauged locations. Journal of Hydrology 337(3): 402–420. , , .
- 2008. Reducing uncertainty in predictions in ungauged basins by combining hydrologic indices regionalization and multiobjective optimization. Water Resources Research 44: W00B04, DOI:10.1029/2008WR006833. , , , .