An automated nowcasting system of mesoscale convective systems for the Mediterranean basin using Meteosat imagery. Part I: System description
Version of Record online: 31 JAN 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 20, Issue 3, pages 287–295, September 2013
How to Cite
Kolios, S. and Feidas, H. (2013), An automated nowcasting system of mesoscale convective systems for the Mediterranean basin using Meteosat imagery. Part I: System description. Met. Apps, 20: 287–295. doi: 10.1002/met.1282
- Issue online: 5 SEP 2013
- Version of Record online: 31 JAN 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 OCT 2011
- Manuscript Revised: 29 JUL 2011
- Manuscript Received: 26 APR 2011
- 2008. Statistics of convection initiation by use of Meteosat rapid scan data during the Convective and Orographically-induced Precipitation Study (COPS). Meteorol. Z. 17: 921–930. , , , .
- 1992. Automatic tracking and characterization of African convective systems on Meteosat Pictures. J. Appl. Meteorol. 31: 443–453. , , .
- 2010. Objective satellite-based detection of overshooting tops using infrared window channel brightness temperature gradients. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 49: 181–201. , , , , , .
- 1994. Development and evaluation of the forecast step of the FRONTIERS short-term precipitation forecasting system. J. Hydrol. 158: 79–105. , , , .
- 1999. Probabilistic predictions of precipitation using the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Weather Forecast. 14: 168–189. , , , .
- 2011. Nowcasting thunderstorms with graph spectral distance and entropy estimation. Meteorol. Appl. 18: 238–249. , .
- 1989. Applications of Weather Radar Systems. Ellis Horwood: Chichester; 1–249. .
- 2006. A 3-year of cloud-to-ground lightning flash characteristics of Mesoscale convective systems over the Western Mediterranean Sea. Atmos. Res. 79: 89–107. , , , , .
- 1993. TITAN: thunderstorm identification, tracking, analysis and nowcasting. A Radar based methodology. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 10: 785–797. , .
- 1996. Flash flood forecasting: an ingredients-based methodology. Weather Forecast. 11: 560–581. , , .
- 2003. A software tool for monitoring features of convective cloud systems with the use of Meteosat images. Environ. Model. Softw. 18: 1–12. .
- 2001. Monitoring mesoscale convective cloud systems associated with heavy storms with the use of Meteosat imagery. J. Appl. Meteorol. 40: 491–512. , .
- 1993. Detection of water vapor in the stratosphere over very high clouds in the tropics. J. Geophys. Res. 98(D12): 22959–22967. , .
- 1981. Tornadoes and downbursts in the context of generalized planetary scales. J. Atmos. Sci. 38: 1511–1534. .
- 1986. Mesoscale classifications: their history and their application to forecasting. In Mesoscale Meteorology and Forecasting, Ray PS (ed.). American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA, 18–35. .
- 2009. Comparison between the large-scale environments of moderate and intense precipitating systems in the Mediterranean region. Mon. Weather Rev. 137: 3933–3959. , , .
- 2005. A MASCOTE-based characterization of MCSs over Spain, 2000–2002. Atmos. Res. 73: 261–282. , , , , , .
- 2005. Squall lines and rainfall over Western Africa during 1986 and 1987. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 90: 215–224. , , .
- 1995. An object-oriented approach to nowcasting showers. Weather Forecast. 10: 327–341. , .
- 1997. Distribution and statistics of African mesoscale convective weather systems based on the ISCCP Meteosat imagery. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2821–2837. , .
- 2004. Mesoscale convective systems. Rev. Geophys. 42: 38–43. .
- 2003. Satellite and radar survey of mesoscale convective system development. Mon. Weather Rev. 131: 2428–2449. , , .
- 1990. Near tropopause vertical motion within the trailing stratiform region of a mid-latitude squall line. J. Atmos. Sci. 47: 2200–2210. , , .
- 1992. The role of the convective “trigger function” in numerical forecasts of mesoscale convective systems. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 49: 93–106. , .
- 2007. Correlation of lightning activity with spectral features of clouds in Meteosat-8 imagery over the Mediterranean basin. Proceedings of the 8th Pan-Hellenic Geographic Conference, 4–7 October, Athens. , .
- 2010. A warm season climatology of mesoscale convective systems in the Mediterranean basin using satellite data. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 102: 29–42. , .
- 2012. An automated nowcasting system of mesoscale convective systems for the Mediterranean basin using Meteosat imagery. Part II: Verification statistics. Meteorol. Appl. DOI: 10.1002/met.1281. , .
- 2005. Activity Report on physical interpretation of warm water vapor pixels. EUMETSAT Technical Memorandum 14. , , .
- 1986. Mesoscale convective complexes in middle the latitudes. In Mesoscale Meteorology and Forecasting, Ray PS (ed.). American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA, 390–413. , , , .
- 2002a. A climatology of mesoscale convective systems over Europe using satellite infrared imagery. I: methodology. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1953–1971. , .
- 2002b. A climatology of mesoscale convective systems over Europe using satellite infrared imagery. II. Characteristics of European mesoscale convective systems. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 128: 1973–1995. , .
- 1975. A rational subdivision of scales for atmospheric processes. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 56: 527–530. .
- 2005. A neural network algorithm for the nowcasting of severe convective systems. CIMSA 2005—IEEE International Conference on Computing Intelligence for Measurement System Applications, 20–22 July, Giardini Naxos. , , , , , .
- 2004. A methodology for the classification of convective structures using meteorological radar: application to heavy rainfall events on the Mediterranean coast of Iberian Peninsula. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 4: 59–68. , .
- 2010. Analysis of warm season thunderstorms using an object-oriented tracking method based on radar and total lightning data. Nat. Hazards Earth Syst. Sci. 10: 1881–1893. , , .
- 1996. Current status and principal challenges in strong convection nowcasting in COST-78 frame. Proceedings of COST-78 International Workshop on Improvement of Nowcasting Technology, 25–28 March, Bologna, EUR 16996 EN; 37–47. .
- 1998. An experimental tool for mesoscale convective systems nowcasting. SAF Training Workshop on Nowcasting and Very Short Range Forecasting, Madrid, Spain, 9–11 December, 127–135. , , , .
- 1999. Scale dependence of monsoonal convective systems over the Indian Ocean. J. Clim. 13: 1286–1298. , .
- 2000. Mesoscale numerical study of two cases of long-lived quasi-stationary convective systems over eastern Spain. Mon. Weather Rev. 128: 3731–3751. , , .
- 1991. Middle latitude and tropical mesoscale convective systems. Rev. Geophys. (Suppl.) 29: 88–97 (U.S. National Report to International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics 1987–1990, American Geophysical Union). .
- 1993. Lightning and electrical structure of mesoscale convective systems. Atmos. Res. 29: 27–53. , , .
- 2008. Cold-Ring shaped storm in Central Europe. EUMETSAT Meteorological Satellite Conference, 8–12 September, Darmstadt. , , , , , , , .
- 1994a. Mesoscale convective systems in weakly forced large-scale environments. Part II: generation of a mesoscale initial condition. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 2068–2083. , .
- 1994b. Mesoscale convective systems in weakly forced large-scale environments. Part III: numerical simulations and implications for operational forecasting. Mon. Weather Rev. 122: 2084–2104. , .
- 1997. Warm water vapour pixels over high clouds as observed by METEOSAT. Beit. Phys. Atmos. 70(1): 15–21. , , .
- 1998. Verification of the NCEP global ensemble forecasts. Preprints: 12th Conference on Numerical Weather Prediction, 11-16 January, Phoenix, AZ. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA. 286–289. , , , , .
- 2008. Forecast and Tracking the Evolution of cloud clusters (FORTRACC) using satellite infrared imagery: methodology and verification. Weather Forecast. 23: 233–245. , , , .
- 1982. Use of a conceptual model of the life cycle of mesoscale convective systems to improve very-short range forecast. In Nowcasting, Browning K (ed.). Academic Press: New York, NY. 191–204. .
- 1976. Computer applications and techniques for storm tracking and warning. Preprints: 17th Conference on Radar Meteorology, Seattle, WA; 514–521. .