Variability in the East Asian Monsoon: a review
Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
Copyright © 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Monsoons – prediction, variability and impact
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 200–215, June 2012
How to Cite
Ha, K.-J., Heo, K.-Y., Lee, S.-S., Yun, K.-S. and Jhun, J.-G. (2012), Variability in the East Asian Monsoon: a review. Met. Apps, 19: 200–215. doi: 10.1002/met.1320
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 12 APR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 5 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 27 FEB 2012
- Manuscript Received: 5 NOV 2011
- National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF)
- 2004. East Asian Monsoon. World Scientific Publishing: Toh Tuck Link, Singapore. .
- 1979. Northeasterly cold surges and near-equatorial disturbances over the winter-MONEX area during 1974. Part I: synoptic aspects. Mon. Weather Rev. 107: 812–829. , , .
- 1980. Northeasterly cold surges and near-equatorial disturbances over the winter MONEX area during December 1974. Part II: planetary-scale aspects. Mon. Weather Rev. 108: 298–312. , .
- 1982. Short-term planetary-scale interaction over the tropics and the midlatitudes during northern winter. Part I: contrast between active and inactive periods. Mon. Weather Rev. 110: 933–946. , .
- 2000. Interannual and interdecadal variations of the East Asian summer monsoon and tropical Pacific SSTs. Part I: roles of the subtropical ridge. J. Clim. 13: 4310–4325. , , .
- 1995. An observational study of South China Sea monsoon during 1979 summer: onset and life cycle. Mon. Weather Rev. 123: 2295–2318. , .
- 2011. Classification of intraseasonal oscillation in precipitation using self-organizing Map for the East Asian summer monsoon. Atmosphere 21: 221–228 (in Korean with English abstract). , .
- 2010. Interdecadal shift in the relationship between the East Asian summer monsoon and the tropical Indian Ocean. Clim. Dyn. 34: 1059–1071, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-009-0555-2. , , .
- 1987. Heat budget of the Siberian high and the winter monsoon. Mon. Weather Rev. 115: 2428–2449. , .
- 2008. Inter-decadal variation of the summer precipitation in East China and its association with decreasing Asian summer monsoon. Part I: observed evidences. Int. J. Climatol. 28: 1139–1161. , , .
- 1985. Meteorology, 2nd edn. Wadsworth Publishing: Belmont, CA. .
- 2003. The formation mechanism of the Bonin high in August. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 129: 157–178. , , .
- 2003. Arctic oscillation signals in the East Asian summer monsoon. J. Geophys. Res. 108(D2): 4066, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002193. , .
- 2004. Intra-seasonal variability of wintertime temperature over East Asia. Int. J. Climatol. 24: 131–144. , .
- 2001. Intraseasonal oscillations and interannual variability of the Indian summer monsoon. J. Clim. 14: 1180–1198, DOI: 10.1175/1520-0442 (2001)014 < 1180:IOAIVO > 2.0.CO;2. , .
- 2003. The unusual summer of 1994 in East Asia: IOD teleconnections. Geophys. Res. Lett. 30: 1544, DOI: 10.29/2002 GL016831. , .
- 2006. Climatic change and interannual fluctuations in the long-term record of monthly precipitation for Seoul. Int. J. Climatol. 26: 607–618. , .
- 2007. On the interannual variability of the Bonin high associated with the East Asian summer monsoon rain. Clim. Dyn. 28: 67–83, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-006-0169-x. , .
- 2005. On interannual characteristics of climate prediction center Merged analysis precipitation over the Korean Peninsula during the summer monsoon season. Int. J. Climatol. 25: 99–116, DOI: 10.1002/joc.1116. , , .
- 2010. August rainfall in Korea and its association with circulations. Adv. Geosci. 16: 23–34. , .
- 2009. Circulation changes associated with the interdecadal shift of Korean August rainfall around late 1960s. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D04115, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD011287. , , , .
- 2010. Simulation of snowstorm over the Yellow Sea using a mesoscale coupled model. Asia-Pac. J. Atmos. Sci. 46(4): 437–452. , , , , , , .
- 2003. A sudden change in summer rainfall characteristics in Korea during the late 1970s. Int. J. Climatol. 23: 117–128. , , , .
- 1992. An Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology, 3rd edn. Elsevier Academic Press: Burlington, VT. .
- 2004. A new East Asian winter monsoon index and associated characteristics of the winter monsoon. J. Clim. 17: 711–726. , .
- 1996. The NCEP/NCAR 40 year reanalysis project. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 437–471. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2002. NCEP-DOE AMIP-II reanalysis (R-2). Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 83: 1631–1643. , , , , , , .
- Korea Meteorological Administration. 2011. Changma White Book. Korea Meteorological Administration: Seoul (in Korean).
- 2002. Relationship between Soviet snow and Korean rainfall. Int. J. Climatol. 22: 1313–1325. , , , .
- 2010. Delayed influence of the Indian Ocean Dipole mode on the East Asia-West Pacific monsoon: possible mechanism. Int. J. Climatol. 30: 197–209. , , .
- 2005. Decadal change in relationship between east Asian and WNP summer monsoons. Geophys. Res. Lett. 32: L16709, DOI: 10.1029/2005GL023026. , , , , .
- 1986. Aspects of the 40–50 day oscillation during the northern summer as inferred from outgoing longwave radiation. Mon. Weather Rev. 114: 1354–1367. , .
- 2005. Current topics on interannual variability of the Asian Monsoon. The Global Monsoon System: Research and Forecast, WMO/TD No. 1266, TMRP Report No. 70. WMO: Geneva; 440–454. , , .
- 2005. Remote connection of the northeast Asian summer rainfall variation revealed by a newly defined monsoon index. J. Clim. 18: 4381–4393. , , .
- 2010. Shift of peak in summer monsoon rainfall over Korea and its association with El Niño–Southern Oscillation. J. Geophys. Res. 115: D02111, DOI: 10.1029/2009JD011717. , , , .
- 1987. Effects of the Tibetan Plateau. In Monsoon Meteorology, Chang C-P, Krishnamurti TN (eds). Oxford University Press: New York, NY; 235–270. .
- 1980. Enhancement of Asian subtropical front due to thermodynamic effect of cumulus convection. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 58: 1–15. .
- 1987. Convective activities in the Tropical western Pacific and their impact on the northern hemisphere summer circulation. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 65: 373–390. .
- 2003. Global analyses of sea surface temperature, sea ice, and night marine air temperature since the late nineteenth century. J. Geophys. Res. 108(D14): 4407, DOI: 10.1029/2002JD002670. , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Remote response of the East Asian winter monsoon to tropical forcing related to El Niño-southern oscillation. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D06105, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD010824. , .
- 1999. A dipole mode in the tropical Indian Ocean. Nature 401: 360–363. , , , .
- 2005. Northward and northwestward propagation of 30–60 day oscillation in the tropical and extratropical western North Pacific. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 83: 711–726. , , , .
- 2005. The ERA-40 re-analysis. Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 131: 2961–3012. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2010a. Impacts of tropical ocean warming on East Asian summer climate. Geophys. Res. Lett. 37: L20809, DOI: 10.1029/2010GL044931. , , .
- 2010b. Interdecadal change in the relationship between ENSO and the Intraseasonal Oscillation in East Asia. J. Clim. 23: 3599–3612. , , .
- 2008. Relationship between ENSO and northward propagating intraseasonal oscillation in the east Asian summer monsoon system. J. Geophys. Res. 113: D14120, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD009901. , , .
- 2009. The 30-60-day oscillation in the East Asian summer monsoon and its time-dependent association with the ENSO. Tellus 61A: 565–578. , , , , .
- 2009. Indian Ocean Capacitor effect on Indo-western Pacific climate during the summer following El Niño. J. Clim. 22: 730–747. , , , , , , .
- 2004. Extraction of major teleconnection patterns possibly associated with anomalous summer climate in Japan. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 82: 1577–1588. , .
- 1981. Teleconnections in the geopotential height field during the Northern Hemisphere winter. Mon. Weather Rev. 109: 784–812. , .
- 2006. The Asian Monsoon. Springer-Praxis Publishing: Chichester. .
- 2008. Global monsoon: dominant mode of annual variation in the tropics. Dyn. Atmos. Oceans 44: 165–183. , .
- 2007. Variability and singularity of Seoul, South Korea, rainy season (1778–2004). J. Clim. 20: 2572–2580. , , .
- 2002. Rainy season of the Asian–Pacific summer monsoon. J. Clim. 15: 386–398. , .
- 2000. Pacific-East Asia teleconnection: how does ENSO affect East Asian climate? J. Clim. 13: 1517–1536. , , .
- 2003. Atmosphere-Warm Ocean interaction and its impact on Asian-Australian monsoon variation. J. Clim. 16: 1195–1211. , , .
- 2008. Interdecadal changes in the major modes of Asian-Australian monsoon variability: strengthening relationship with ENSO since the late 1970s. J. Clim. 21: 1771–1789. , , , .
- 2002. Role of Indian Ocean warming in the development of Philippine Sea anticyclone during ENSO. Geophys. Res. Lett. 29: 1478, DOI: 10.1029/2001GL014318. , .
- 1998. Monsoon: process, predictability, and the prospects for forecast. J. Geophys. Res. 103: 14454–14510. , , .
- 2005. Discrepancy of interdecadal changes in the Asian region among the NCEP-NCAR reanalysis, objective analyses, and observations. J. Clim. 18: 3048–3067. , , .
- 2002. A contrast of the East Asian summer monsoon-ENSO relationship between 1962–77 and 1978–93. J. Clim. 15: 3266–3279. , .
- 1997. Global precipitation: a 17 year monthly analysis based on gauge observations, satellite estimates and numerical model outputs. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 78: 2539–2558. , .
- 2007. Interdecadal variability of the East Asian summer monsoon and associated atmospheric circulations. Adv. Atmos. Sci. 24: 915–926. , , , .
- 1997. Climatology and interannual variation of the East Asia winter monsoon: results from the 1979–95 NCEP–NCAR reanalysis. Mon. Weather Rev. 125: 2605–2619. , , .
- 2009. Interdecadal variability of summer rainfall in Northwest China and its possible causes. Int. J. Climatol. 30: 549–557. , .