The Canadian Airport Nowcasting System (CAN-Now)
Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
Copyright © 2012 Crown in the right of Canada. Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
Special Issue: Developments in aviation meteorology. Guest editors: P. G. Gill and R. Potts
Volume 21, Issue 1, pages 30–49, January 2014
How to Cite
Isaac, G. A., Bailey, M., Boudala, F. S., Burrows, W. R., Cober, S. G., Crawford, R. W., Donaldson, N., Gultepe, I., Hansen, B., Heckman, I., Huang, L. X., Ling, A., Mailhot, J., Milbrandt, J. A., Reid, J. and Fournier, M. (2014), The Canadian Airport Nowcasting System (CAN-Now). Met. Apps, 21: 30–49. doi: 10.1002/met.1342
- Issue published online: 13 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 3 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 21 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 14 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 16 AUG 2011
- 2010. Developing a hydrometeor-type point forecaster using polarimetric radar data, MSc thesis, Department of Earth and Space Science Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada. .
- 2009. Comparison of nowcasting methods in the context of high-impact weather events for the Canadian Airport Nowcasting Project. International Symposium on Nowcasting and Very Short Range Forecasting, 30 August—4 September 2009, Whistler, British Columbia. , , , .
- 1986. The accuracy of short-term radar rainfall forecasts. J. Hydrol. 70: 35–49. , .
- 2006. From the 13-km RUC to the rapid refresh. 12th Conference on Aviation, Range, and Aerospace Meteorology (ARAM), Atlanta, GA. CD-ROM, 9.1. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. An hourly assimilation/forecast cycle: the RUC. Mon. Weather. Rev. 132: 495–518. , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Parameterization of visibility in snow: application in numerical weather prediction models. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D19202, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD011130. , .
- 2012. Parameterization of runway visual range as a function of visibility: application in numerical weather prediction models. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 29: 177–191, DOI: 10.1175/JTECH-D-11-00021.1. , , , .
- 2000. A method to determine precipitation types. J. Weather Forecast. 15: 583–592. .
- 2001. Development and application of a physical approach to estimating wind gusts. Mon. Weather Rev. 129: 5–25. .
- 2000. Predicting supercell motion using a new hodograph technique. Weather Forecast. 15: 61–79. , , , , .
- 2010. A decade of cloud-to-ground lightning in Canada: 1999–2008. Part 1: flash density and occurrence. Atmos. Ocean 48: 177–194. , .
- 1998. Some thoughts on the role mesoscale features played in the 27 May 1997 central Texas tornado outbreak. Preprints, 19th Conference on Severe Local Storms, Minneapolis, MN. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA; 177–180. .
- 1998b. The operational CMC-MRB global environmental multiscale (GEM) model. Part II: results. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1397–1395. , , , , , , .
- 1998a. The operational CMC-MRB global environmental multiscale (GEM) model. Part I: design considerations and formulation. Mon. Weather Rev. 126: 1373–1396. , , , , , .
- 1998. Nimrod: a system for generating automated very short range forecasts. Meteorol. Appl. 5: 1–16. .
- 2010. Probabilistic parameterizations of visibility using observations of rain precipitation rate, relative humidity, and visibility. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 49: 36–46. , .
- 2006. A new warm fog parameterization scheme for numerical weather prediction models. J. Appl. Meteorol. 45: 1469–1480. , , .
- 2007. A fuzzy logic–based analog forecasting system for ceiling and visibility. Weather Forecast. 22: 1319–1330. .
- 2011. Development of weighting, evaluation, bias correction and integrating system (WEBIS) for nowcasting, PhD dissertation, Department of Earth and Space Science and Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada. .
- 2012. Integrating NWP forecasts and observation data to improve nowcasting accuracy. Weather Forecast. DOI:10.1175/WAF-D-11-00125.1 (in press). , , .
- 2011. Decision making regarding aircraft de-icing and in-flight icing using the Canadian Airport Nowcasting System (CAN-Now). SAE 2011 International Conference on Aircraft and Engine Icing and Ground Deicing, 13–17 June 2011, Chicago, IL, Paper Number: 2011-38-0029; DOI: 10.4271/2011-38-0029. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2006. Airport vicinity icing and snow advisor. AIAA 44th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, 9–12 January 2006, Reno, NV, AIAA-2006-1219. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2004. Detection of aircraft icing environments with a Vertically Pointing Radar (VPR). AIRS-II Workshop, Mont Tremblant. , , .
- 2006. The 15 km version of the Canadian regional forecast system. Atmos. Ocean 44: 133–149. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2012. An experimental high-resolution forecast system during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympic and Paralympic Games. Pure Appl. Geophys. (in press). , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Simulation of an orographic precipitation event during IMPROVE-2. Part I: evaluation of the control run using a triple-moment bulk microphysics scheme. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 3873–3893. , , , .
- 2010. Simulation of an orographic precipitation event during IMPROVE-2. Part II: sensitivity to the number of moments in the bulk microphysics scheme. Mon. Weather Rev. 138: 625–642. , , , , .
- 2001. Weather support to deicing decision making (WSDDM): a winter weather nowcasting system. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 82: 579–595. , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2008. Performance of the precipitation occurrence sensor system as a precipitation gauge. J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 25: 196–212. , .
- 1989. The FAA Terminal Doppler Weather Radar (TDWR) program. Preprints, Third International Conference on Aviation Weather Systems, Anaheim, CA. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA; 414–418. , , , .
- 2003. A multichannel radiometric profiler of temperature, humidity, and cloud liquid. Radio Sci. 38: 8079, DOI: 10.1029/2002RS002856. , , , , , , .
- 2001. Observations of supercooled water and secondary ice generation by a vertically pointing X-band Doppler radar. Atmos. Res. 59–60: 343–359. , , .
- 2010. Low level wind shear at two Canadian international airports, MSc thesis, Department of Earth and Space Science Engineering, York University, Toronto, Canada. .