Investigating the impact of precipitation on vehicle speeds on UK motorways
Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 21, Issue 2, pages 194–201, April 2014
How to Cite
Hooper, E., Chapman, L. and Quinn, A. (2014), Investigating the impact of precipitation on vehicle speeds on UK motorways. Met. Apps, 21: 194–201. doi: 10.1002/met.1348
- Issue online: 22 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 FEB 2012
- 2007. In Europe. Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Parry ML, Canziani OF, Palutikof JP, van der Linden PJ, Hanson CE (eds). Cambridge University Press: Cambridge; 541–580. , , , , , , , , , .
- 1999. The impact of unseasonable or extreme weather on traffic activity within Lothian region, Scotland. J. Transport Geog. 7(3): 209–213. , .
- 2003. Weather as a chronic hazard for road transportation in Canadian cities. Nat. Hazards 28: 319–343. , , , .
- 2007. Transport and climate change: a review. J. Transport Geog. 15: 354–367. .
- 2002. London's Warming: the impacts of climate change on London. Technical Report, London Climate Change Partnership. http://www.ukcip.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/PDFs/London_tech.pdf (accessed 26 July 2012). , , , , , , , .
- Committee on Climate Change and US Transportation. 2008. Potential impacts of climate change on U.S. Transportation. Special Report 290, Transportation Research Board; 296. http://www.nap.edu/catalog/12179.html (accessed 2 April 2012).
- Department for Transport. 2005. The Changing Climate: its Impact on the Department for Transport, In-House Policy Consultancy. Department for Transport: London.
- 1998. The relationship between road accident severity and recorded weather. J. Saf. Res. 29(4): 249–262. .
- 1999. The temporal distribution of road accidents in adverse weather. Meteorol. Appl. 6: 59–68. .
- 2002. Motorway speeds in wet weather: the comparative influence of porous and conventional asphalt surfacing. J. Transport Geogr. 10(4): 303–311. .
- EWENT. 2011. Probabilities of adverse weather affecting transport in Europe: climatology and scenarios up to the 2050s. http://ewent.vtt.fi/Deliverables/D2/ewent_d2%201_18082011.pdf (accessed 4 April 2012).
- 2003. Relationships among urban freeway accidents, traffic flow, weather and lighting conditions. J. Trans. Eng. 129(4): 342–353. , .
- 2010. Transport geography and new European realities: a critique. J. Transport Geogr. 18(1): 1–13. .
- 2007. HATRIS Data Guide: Version 2—HATRIS Status in April 2007. TRL Limited: Wokingham, UK. , , .
- 2006. Empirical Studies on Traffic Flow in Inclement Weather. US Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration. http://ops.fhwa.dot.gov/publications/weatherempirical/weatherempirical.pdf (accessed 2 April 2012). , , , , .
- 2010. Assessing the potential impact of climate change on transportation: the need for an interdisciplinary approach. J. Transport Geogr. 18(2): 331–335. , , .
- 2009. The impact of climate change and weather on transport: an overview of empirical findings. Transport. Res. Part D-Transp. Environ. 14: 205–221. , .
- London Climate Change Partnership. 2005. Climate change and London's transport systems—Summary report. http://www.london.gov.uk/lccp/publications/docs/climatetransportsept05.pdf (accessed 2 April 2012).
- 2000. Climate Change: assessing the impacts—identifying responses, The first three years of the UK Climate Impacts Programme. UKCIP Technical Report, UKCIP and DETR: Oxford; 192 pp. , , , , .
- Met Office. 2008a. Met Office: UK climate, February 2008. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/february.html (accessed 2 April 2012).
- Met Office. 2008b. Met Office: regional values, February 2008. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/february/averages.html (accessed 2 April 2012).
- Met Office. 2008c. Met Office: UK climate, December 2008. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/2008/december.html (accessed 2 April 2012).
- 2003. An investigation into the impact of rainfall on freeway traffic flow. http://people.virginia.edu/∼njg2q/TRB_2004.pdf (accessed 2 April 2012). , , , , .
- 2007. Building Knowledge for a Changing Climate-Collaborative Research to Understand and Adapt to the Impacts of Climate Change on Infrastructure, the Built Environment and Utilities, 80. http://www.ukcip.org.uk/wordpress/wp-content/PDFs/BKCC-Results.pdf (accessed 26 July 2012). , , , , , , , , , , .