The decision process behind inclement-weather school closings: a case-study in Maryland, USA
Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 474–480, July 2014
How to Cite
Call, D. A. and Coleman, J. S. M. (2014), The decision process behind inclement-weather school closings: a case-study in Maryland, USA. Met. Apps, 21: 474–480. doi: 10.1002/met.1359
- Issue online: 23 JUL 2014
- Version of Record online: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 12 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 9 MAY 2012
- American Academy of Pediatrics and Trust for America's Health. 2007. Pandemic Influenza: Warning, Children At-risk, Washington, DC; 31 pp.
- 2008. Closing School not Easy Decision. The East Oregonian, 1 February. .
- 2010. School's Out, Again: Why “Throw Away” School Days Hurt Students. Atlantic Institute for Market Studies; 12 pp. http://www.aims.ca/site/media/aims/SchoolsOut.pdf. .
- 2005. Rethinking snowstorms as snow events: a regional case study from Upstate New York. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 86: 1783–1793. .
- 1992. Does school quality matter? Returns to education and the characteristics of public schools in the United States. J. Polit. Econ. 100: 1–40. , .
- 1996. Effect of weather and temporal variation on calls for police service. Am. J. Police 15: 23–43. .
- 1996. Does decision process matter? A study of strategic decision-making effectiveness. Acad. Manage. J. 39: 368–396. , .
- 1989. Making fast strategic decisions in high-velocity environments. Acad. Manage. J. 32: 543–576. .
- Fairfax County Public Schools. 2008. Inclement Weather decision making process outlined. http://www.fcps.edu/news/weatherdecision.htm (accessed 12 August 2009).
- 1996. A historical perspective of U.S. climate divisions. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc. 77: 293–303. , .
- 1999. The Managerial Decision-Making Process, 5th edn. Houghton Mifflin Company: Boston, MA. .
- 2008. Household responses to school closure resulting from outbreak of influenza B, North Carolina. Emerging Infect. Dis. 14: 1024–1230. , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1989. Critical decision method for eliciting knowledge. IEEE Trans. Syst. Man, Cybern. 19: 462–472. , , .
- 2007. Schooling and test scores: a mother-natural experiment. Econ. Educ. Rev. 26: 629–640. .
- 2011. North Carolina school closings in the winter of 2010–2011: Decision makers and decision making. Conference Presentation, 2011 Annual Meeting of the Southeastern Division of the Association of American Geographers (SEDAAG), Savannah, GA. , , , .
- 2003. The impact of length of the school year on student performance and earnings: evidence from the German short school years. NBER Working Paper 9964. .
- 2008. No snow day for Philly students. Philadelphia Daily News, 23 February. .
- 2008. Strategic responses to school accountability measures: it's all in the timing. Econ. Educ. Rev. 27: 58–68. .