On the use of Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) for drought intensity assessment
Article first published online: 17 APR 2009
Copyright © 2009 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 16, Issue 3, pages 381–389, September 2009
How to Cite
Naresh Kumar, M., Murthy, C. S., Sesha Sai, M. V. R. and Roy, P. S. (2009), On the use of Standardized Precipitation Index (SPI) for drought intensity assessment. Met. Apps, 16: 381–389. doi: 10.1002/met.136
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2009
- Article first published online: 17 APR 2009
- Manuscript Accepted: 13 JAN 2009
- Manuscript Revised: 17 DEC 2008
- Manuscript Received: 18 JUL 2008
- AbramowitzM, StegunIA (eds). 1965. Handbook of Mathematical Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables. Dover Publications: New York.
- 2008. Inter annual variability of winter precipitation in the European Alps: Relations with the North Atlantic Oscillation. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 5: 2045–2065. , , .
- 2004. Spatio-temporal variability of dry and wet periods in eastern China. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 79: 81–91. , , , .
- 1990. Drought policy in the Republic of South Africa. In Proceedings of the SARCCUS Workshop on Drought, June 1989, Pretoria. Southern African Regional Commission for Conservation and Utilisation of the Soil, Pretoria, South Africa. .
- 2008. Analysis of meteorological drought in Slovenia with two drought Indices. Proceedings of the BALWOIS 2008. Republic of Macedonia: Ohrid; 27–31. , , .
- 1997. Characteristics of 20th century drought in the United States at multiple scales. Climatology Report 97-2, Department of Atmospheric Science, Colarado state University, Fort Collins. , .
- 2005. Standardized precipitation index zones for Mexico. Atmosphera 18: 33–56. , , , .
- 2006. Climatological drought in Arizona: An analysis of indicators for guiding the Governor's drought task force. Professional Geographer 58: 460–469. , .
- 1998. Comparing the Palmer drought index and the standardized precipitation index. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 34: 113–121. .
- 1999. Accepting the Standardised Precipitation Index: A calculation algorithm. Journal of the American Water Resources Association 35: 311–322. .
- 2005. Drought mapping in Poland using SPI. In Proceedings of the ICID 21st European Regional Conference, Frankfurt, 15–19. , .
- 2007. Observed change of standardized precipitation index, its potential cause and implications to future climate change in the Amazon region. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London Series B: Biological Sciences 363: 1767–1772. , , , .
- 2002. Drought climatology for Europe. International Journal of Climatology 22: 1571–1592. , .
- 2004. Probabilistic analysis of drought spatiotemporal characteristics in Thessaly region, Greece. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences 4: 719–731. , .
- 1993. The relationship of drought frequency and duration to time scales. Proceedings of the IX Conference on Applied Climatology. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA; 179–184. , , .
- 1995. Drought monitoring with multiple time scales. Proceedings of the 9th conference on Applied Climatology. AMS: Boston, MA; 233–236. , , .
- 2006. Comparison of seven meteorological indices for drought monitoring in Iran. International Journal of Climatology 26: 971–985. , , .
- 2008. An integrated approach for characterization and delineation of drought prone areas. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Agromet and Food Security, Hyderabad. , , , , , .
- 2005. Drought class transition analysis through Markov and Loglinear models, an approach to early warning. Agricultural Water Management 77: 59–81. , , , .
- 2003. Intensity and spatial extension of drought in South Africa at different time scales. Water SA 29: 489–500. , .
- 2007. Automated estimation and analysis of meteorological drought characteristics from monthly data. Environmental Modelling & Software 22: 880–890. , .
- 2004. Drought patterns in the Mediterranean area: the Valencia region (eastern Spain). Climate Research 26: 5–15. , , , .
- 2006. Analyzing spatial pattern of drought in the Northeast of Thailand using multi-temporal standardized precipitation index (SPI). In Proceedings of the 27th Asean Conference on Remote Sensing, Ulaanbaatar. , , .
- 2005. Monitoring drought in the United States: status and trends. In Monitoring and Predicting Agricultural Drought, A Global Study, BokenVK, CracknellAP, HeathcoteRL (eds). Oxford University Press: New York; 121–131. , , .
- 2005. The effect of the length of record on the standardized precipitation index calculation. International Journal of Climatology 25: 505–520. , , , .
- 2006. Appropriate application of the standardized precipitation index in arid locations and dry seasons. International Journal of Climatology 27: 65–79. , , , , .