SPECIAL ISSUE ARTICLE
Ensembles to model the impact of urbanization for a summertime rainstorm process in Yangtze River Delta, China
Article first published online: 27 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Rainfall: high-resolution observation and prediction. Guest editors: C. Charlton-Perez, H. L. Cloke and A. Ghelli
Volume 22, Issue 1, pages 105–112, January 2015
How to Cite
Wan, H., Zhong, Z., Yang, X. and Li, X. (2015), Ensembles to model the impact of urbanization for a summertime rainstorm process in Yangtze River Delta, China. Met. Apps, 22: 105–112. doi: 10.1002/met.1360
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2015
- Article first published online: 27 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 6 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Received: 18 APR 2012
- National Key Basic Research and Development Project of China. Grant Numbers: 2010CB428505, 2011CB952002
- National Natural Science Foundation of China. Grant Number: 41175090
- 2000. Urban heat islands and summertime convective thunderstorms in Atlanta: three case studies. Atmos. Environ. 34: 507–516. , .
- 1979. Rainfall changes in summer caused by St. Louis. Science 205: 402–404. .
- 2011. The integrated WRF/urban modeling system: development, evaluation, and applications to urban environmental problems. Int. J. Climatol. 31: 273–288. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2009. A comparison of precipitation forecast skill between small convection-allowing and large convection-parameterizing ensembles. Weather Forecast. 24: 1121–1140. , , , .
- 2007. Impact of urban expansion on regional temperature change in the Yangtze River Delta. J. Geogr. Sci. DOI: 10.1007/S11442-007-0387-0. , , , , .
- 2005. The importance of land-cover change in simulating future climates. Science 310: 1674–1678. , , , , , , .
- 1960. Weather Forecasting for Aeronautics. Academic Press: New York, NY and London; 673 pp. .
- 2005. Analyses the relationship between urban dynamic change pattern of the Yangtze River Delta and the regional eco-environment. Geogr. Res. 25: 388–396. , .
- 2009. The trajectory of urbanization process in the Yangtze River Delta during 1990 to 2005. 7th Urban Remote Sensing Joint Event, 20–22 May 2009, Shanghai, DOI: 10.1109/URS.2009.5137536. , , , .
- 2007. The impact of different physical parameterizations and their interactions on cold season QPF in the American River basin. J. Hydrometeorol. 8: 1141–1151. , , , .
- 2007. Climate response to rapid urban growth: evidence of a human-induced precipitation deficit. J. Climate 20: 2299–2306. , , , , , .
- 2004. Coupling a single-layer urban canopy model with a simple atmospheric model: impact on urban heat island simulation for an idealized case. J. Meteorol. Soc. Jpn. 82: 67–80. , .
- 2009. The chink in the armor: questioning the reliability of conventional sensitivity experiments in determining urban effects on precipitation patterns. The 7th International Conference on Urban Climate, 29 Jun–3 Jul 2009, Yokohama, Japan. , , , , .
- 2011. Impacts of urban processes and urbanization on summer precipitation: a case study of heavy rainfall in Beijing on 1 August 2006. J. Appl. Meteorol. Climatol. 50: 806–825. , , , .
- 1972. Notes on analysis and severe-storm forecasting procedures of the air force global weather central. Technical Report 200 (Rev.), Air Weather Service (MAC), Scott Air Force Base: St. Clair County, IL; 190 pp. .
- 1982. The energetic basis of the urban heat island. Q. J. R. Meteorolog. Soc. 108: 1–24. .
- 2007. Implications of temporal change in urban heat island intensity observed at Beijing and Wuhan stations. Geophys. Res. Lett. 34: L05711, DOI: 10.1029/2006GL027927. , , , .
- 2007. Inverse relations between amounts of air pollution and orographic precipitation. Science 315: 1396–1398. , , , , , , .
- 2009. Global urban land-use trends and climate impacts. Curr. Opin. Environ. Sustainability 1: 89–95. , .
- 2002. Rainfall modification by major urban areas: observations from spaceborne rain radar on the TRMM satellite. J. Appl. Meteorol. 41: 689–701. , , .
- 2005. A review of current investigations of urban-induced rainfall and recommendations for the future. Earth Interact. 9: 1–27. .
- 2005. A description of the advanced research WRF version 2. NCAR Technical Note NCAR/TN–4681STR, UCAR: Boulder, CO; 100 pp. , , , , , , .
- 1995. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences. Academic Press: New York, NY. .
- 2008. Short-range precipitation forecasts from time-lagged multimodel ensembles during the HMT-West-2006 Campaign. J. Hydrometeorol. 9: 477–491. , , , , .
- 2009. Impacts of urban expansion and future green planting on summer precipitation in the Beijing metropolitan area. J. Geophys. Res. 114: D02116, DOI: 10.1029/2008JD010328. , , , , , .
- 2010. Modeling the impact of urbanization on the local and regional climate in Yangtze River Delta, China. Theor. Appl. Climatol. 102: 331–342. , , , .
- 2011. Simulation of urban heat island effect and its impact on atmospheric boundary structure over Yangtze River Delta region in summer. J. Meteorol. Sci. 31: 431–440. , , , , .