Assessing the economic value of El Niño-based seasonal climate forecasts for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe
Article first published online: 30 NOV 2012
© 2012 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 21, Issue 3, pages 535–544, July 2014
How to Cite
Makaudze, E. M. (2014), Assessing the economic value of El Niño-based seasonal climate forecasts for smallholder farmers in Zimbabwe. Met. Apps, 21: 535–544. doi: 10.1002/met.1366
- Issue published online: 23 JUL 2014
- Article first published online: 30 NOV 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 14 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 2 JUL 2011
- 1999. Seasonal Climatic Forecasting: Who can Use it and How should it be Disseminated? Natural Resource Perspective, Vol. 47. Overseas Development Institute: London. www.odi.org.uk/NRP/47.html (accessed 30 June 2010). .
- 1987. The importance of seasonal climate prediction lead time in agricultural decision making. Agric. For. Meteorol. 40: 37–50. , .
- 1996. Prototypical patterns of ENSO-related drought and drought precursors in southern Africa. Proceedings of the 13th Pecora Symposium, Sioux Falls. , .
- 2006. Translating climate forecasts into agricultural terms: advances and challenges. Clim. Res. 33: 27–41. , , , , .
- 2010. Review of seasonal climate forecasting for agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa. Exp. Agric. 47(2): 205–240. , , , .
- Jones JW, Hoogenboom G, Wilkens PW, Porter CH, Tsuji GY. (eds) 2004. Decision Support for Agrotechnology Transfer, Version 4, Vol. 4. DSSAT v4 vol. 1–4, Crop model documentation. University of Hawaii: Honolulu, HI.
- 1998. A typical pattern of vegetation conditions in southern Africa during El-Niño years detected from AVHRR data using three-channel numerical index. Int. J. Remote Sens. 19(18): 3689–3695. .
- 2008. Prioritizing climate change adaptation needs for food security in 2030. Science 319(5863): 607–610. , , , .
- 1992. National drought and desertification policies. The Zimbabwe Situation. SADC Regional Workshop on Climate Change, Windhoek, Namibia. .
- 2009. Do Seasonal Forecasts and Crop Insurance Really Matter for Smallholder Farmers in Zimbabwe? Using Contingency Valuation and Remote Sensing Techniques. VCD Verlag Dr. Muller: Saarbruecken, Germany. .
- 1996. Regional manifestations of climate variability in southern Africa. Paper presented at Workshop on Reducing Climate-Related Vulnerability in Southern Africa, Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe. .
- 1997. Climatic variability and change over southern Africa: A reflection on the underlying process. Prog. Phys. Geog. 21: 23–50. , .
- 2003. Value of perfect forecasts of the sea surface temperature anomalies for selected rain-fed agricultural locations of Chile. Agric. For. Meteorol. 116(3–4): 117–135. , , , .
- 1993. Valuing the lead time of periodic forecasts in dynamic production systems. Agric. Syst. 42(1–2): 41–55. , .
- 2000. Dynamic aspects of the impact of the use of perfect climate forecasts in the corn belt region. J. Appl. Meteorol. 39: 67–79. , , .
- 2006. Ex-post assessment methods of climate forecast impacts. Clim. Res. 33: 67–79. , , .
- NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration) 1997. Climatic conditions associated with the 1997–1998 El Niño: impact and outlook. Special Climate Summary 97/3, 13, Washington, DC.
- 2001. Understanding uncertainty: forecasting seasonal climate for farmers in Zimbabwe. Risk Decis. Policy 6: 105–119. .
- 2002. Effective seasonal climate forecast applications: examining constraints for subsistence farmers in Zimbabwe. Global Environ. Change 12: 185–195. , .
- 2005. Effects of seasonal climate forecasts and participatory workshops among subsistence farmers in Zimbabwe. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102(35): 12623–12628. , , .
- 2009. Assessing the value of seasonal climate forecasts on farm-level corn production through simulation modeling. Discussion Paper Series No. 2009-05, Makati City. , , , .
- 1987. Global and regional scale precipitation patterns associated with El Niño/Southern Oscillation. J. Clim. 115(8): 1606–1626. , .
- 2006. Economics and climate applications: exploring the frontier. Clim. Res. 33: 43–54. , , .
- SADC (Southern African Development Community). 1993. Report of the regional drought management workshop. Workshop Proceedings on SADC Drought Management Workshops in Southern Africa, 01–19 November 1993, Vol. 1, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- 1998. The value of improved ENSO predictions of U.S. agriculture. Clim. Change 39: 47–60. , , , , , , , .
- 2000. Usable science: an assessment of long-term seasonal forecasts amongst farmers in rural areas of South Africa. S. Afr. Geog. J. 82: 107–16. .
- WMO (World Meteorological Organization). 1995. The Global Climate System Review: Climate System Monitoring, Vol. 819. WMO: Geneva, Switzerland; 150, June 1991–November 1993.