Spatial techniques applied to precipitation ensemble forecasts: from verification results to probabilistic products
Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
© 2013 Royal Meteorological Society
Volume 21, Issue 4, pages 922–929, October 2014
How to Cite
Ben Bouallègue, Z. and Theis, S. E. (2014), Spatial techniques applied to precipitation ensemble forecasts: from verification results to probabilistic products. Met. Apps, 21: 922–929. doi: 10.1002/met.1435
- Issue online: 13 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 15 OCT 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 16 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Revised: 5 JUL 2013
- Manuscript Received: 21 JAN 2013
- 2011. Operational convective-scale numerical weather prediction with the COSMO model: description and sensitivities. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 3887–3905. , , , , , .
- 2013. Calibrated short-range ensemble precipitation forecasts using extended logistic regression with interaction terms. Weather Forecast. 28: 515–524. .
- 2013. Enhancing COSMO-DE ensemble forecasts by inexpensive techniques. Meteorol. Z. 22: 49–59. , , .
- 1999. Probabilistic predictions of precipitation using the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Weather Forecast. 14: 168–189. , , , .
- 2009. A comparison of precipitation forecast skill between small convection-allowing and large convection-parameterizing ensembles. Weather Forecast. 24: 1121–1140. , , , .
- 2008. Fuzzy verification of high-resolution gridded forecasts: a review and proposed framework. Meteorol. Appl. 15: 51–64. .
- 1966. Point and area precipitation probabilities. Mon. Weather Rev. 94: 595–598. .
- 2011. Uncertainties in COSMO-DE precipitation forecasts introduced by model perturbations and variation of lateral boundaries. Atmos. Res. 100: 168–177. , , , .
- 2005. A 30% chance of rain tomorrow: how does the public understand probabilistic weather forecasts? Risk Anal. 25: 623–629. , , , , .
- 2009. Intercomparison of spatial forecast verification methods. Weather Forecast. 24: 1416–1430. , , , , .
- 2007. Probabilistic forecasts, calibration and sharpness. J. R. Stat. Soc. 69B: 243–268. , , .
- 2006. Measuring forecast skill: is it real skill or is it the varying climatology? Q. J. R. Meteorol. Soc. 132: 2905–2923. , .
- 2005. Roots of ensemble forecasting. Mon. Weather Rev. 133: 1865–1885. .
- 1969. The predictability of a flow which possesses many scales of motion. Tellus 21: 289–307. .
- 2008. A spatial verification method applied to the evaluation of high-resolution ensemble forecasts. Meteorol. Appl. 15: 125–143. , , .
- 2004. On using “Climatology” as a reference strategy in the brier and ranked probability skill scores. Mon. Weather Rev. 132: 1891–1895. .
- 2002. The impact of horizontal resolution and ensemble size on probabilistic forecasts of precipitation by the ECMWF ensemble prediction system. Weather Forecast. 17: 173–191. , .
- 2012. Accounting for initial condition uncertainties in COSMO-DE-EPS. J. Geophys. Res. 117: D07108. , , , .
- 2008. Assessing the spatial and temporal variation in the skill of precipitation forecasts from an NWP model. Meteorol. Appl. 15: 163–169. .
- 2008. Scale-selective verification of rainfall accumulations from high-resolution forecasts of convective events. Mon. Weather Rev. 136: 78–97. , .
- 2010. Toward improved convection-allowing ensembles: model physics sensitivities and optimizing probabilistic guidance with small ensemble membership. Weather Forecast. 25: 263–280. , , , , , , , , , .
- 2003. Meso-gamma scale forecasts using the nonhydrostatic model LM. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys. 82: 75–90. , , , , , , .
- 2005. Probabilistic precipitation forecasts from a deterministic model: a pragmatic approach. Meteorol. Appl. 12: 257–268. , , .
- 2003. Probability and ensemble forecasts. In Forecast Verification: A Practitioner's Guide in Atmospheric Science, Jolliffe IT, Stephenson DB (eds). John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.: Chichester; 137–164. , , , .
- 2011. Cloud-resolving ensemble simulations of Mediterranean heavy precipitating events: uncertainty on initial conditions and lateral boundary conditions. Mon. Weather Rev. 139: 403–423. , , .
- 2009. Radargestützte niederschlagsanalyse und -vorhersage (RADOLAN, RADVOROP). Promet 35: 78–86. , .
- 2006. Statistical Methods in the Atmospheric Sciences, 2nd edn. Academic Press: Burlington, MA; 627. .
- 1965. Fuzzy sets. Inform. Control 8: 338–353. .