Special Issue Article
The Oklahoma City Micronet
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Sensing the weather
Volume 18, Issue 3, pages 252–261, September 2011
How to Cite
Basara, J. B., Illston, B. G., Fiebrich, C. A., Browder, P. D., Morgan, C. R., McCombs, A., Bostic, J. P., McPherson, R. A., Schroeder, A. J. and Crawford, K. C. (2011), The Oklahoma City Micronet. Met. Apps, 18: 252–261. doi: 10.1002/met.189
- Issue online: 22 AUG 2011
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 13 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 5 OCT 2009
- 2006. Joint Urban 2003: study overview and instrument locations. Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Technical Report PNNL-15967, Richland: Washington, DC, 92. , .
- 2004. Overview of joint urban 2003—An atmospheric dispersion study in Oklahoma City. Symposium on Planning, Nowcasting, and Forecasting in the Urban Zone, Seattle, WA 12–15 January 2004. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Two decades of urban climate research: a review of turbulence, exchanges of energy and water, and the urban heat island. International Journal of Climatology 23: 1–26. .
- 1978. Correlation of land use and cover with meteorological anomalies. Journal of Applied Meteorology 17: 636–643.
- 1964. A technique for maximizing details in numerical weather map analysis. Journal of Applied Meteorology 3: 396–409. .
- 2008. The diurnal cycle of the urban heat island in Oklahoma City. Journal of Geophysical Research—Atmospheres 113: D20109, DOI:10.1029/2008JD010311. , , , , .
- 2009. Evaluation of rainfall measurements from the WXT510 Sensor for use in the Oklahoma City Micronet. The Open Atmospheric Science Journal 3: 39–45. , , , .
- 2010. The impact of the urban heat island during an intense heat wave in Oklahoma City. Advances in Meteorology DOI: 10.1155/2010/230365. , , , .
- 1968. Observations of the urban heat island effect in New York city. Journal of Applied Meteorology 7: 575–582. .
- 1995. The Oklahoma Mesonet: a technical overview. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 12: 5–19. , , , , , , .
- 2003. Climatological estimates of local daily tornado probability for the united states. Weather and Forecasting 18: 626–640. , , .
- 2000. Mapping a wind-modified urban heat island in Tucson, Arizona (with comments on integrating research and undergraduate learning. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 2417–2431. .
- 1993. Recording, archiving, and using WSR-88D data. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 74: 645–653. , , .
- 2000. Forecast issues in the Urban Zone: report of the 10th prospectus development team of the U.S. weather research program. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81: 2047–2064. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 2005. The helsinki mesoscale testbed: an invitation to use a new 3-D observation network. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86: 906–907. , , , , .
- 2005. Climatological estimates of daily local nontornadic severe thunderstorm probability for the United States. Weather and Forecasting 20: 577–595. , , .
- 1990–1991. Mapping and measuring buildings in the canopy boundary layer in ten U.S. cities. Energy and Buildings 15–16: 1025–1049. .
- 2005. Psuedovertical temperature profiles and the urban heat island measured by a temperature datalogger network in Phoenix, Arizona. Journal of Applied Meteorology 44: 3–13. , , .
- 2001. The impact of unique meteorological phenomena detected by the Oklahoma Mesonet and ARS Micronet on automated quality control. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 82: 2173–2187. , .
- 2006. The value of routine site visits in managing and maintaining quality data from the Oklahoma Mesonet. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 23: 406–416. , , , , .
- 2006. Progress in measuring and observing the urban atmosphere. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 84: 3–22. .
- 2004. The role of rural variability in urban heat Island determination for Pheonix, Arizona. Journal of Applied Meteorology 43: 476–486. , , , , .
- 2008. Rapid sampling of severe storms by the national weather radar testbed phased array radar. Weather and Forecasting 23: 808–824. , , , , .
- 2008a. A ten year spatial climatology of squall line storms across Oklahoma. International Journal of Climatology 28: 765–775. , .
- 2008b. A geographic information systems based analysis of supercells across Oklahoma. Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47: 1518–1538. , .
- 2007. Impact of configurations of rapid intermittent assimilation of WSR-88D radar data for the 8 May 2003 Oklahoma city tornadic thunderstorm case. Monthly Weather Review 135: 507–525. , .
- 1970. Further observations of the urban heat island in a small city. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 51: 602–606. .
- 2007. Statewide monitoring of the mesoscale environment: a technical update on the Oklahoma Mesonet. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 24: 301–321. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .
- 1980. A test of lapse rate/wind speed model for estimating heat island magnitude in an urban airshed. Journal of Applied Meteorology 19: 748–756. .
- 2004. Initial Guidance to Obtain Representative Meteorological Observations at Urban Sites, WMO/TD No. 1250. World Meteorological Organization: Geneva, Switzerland, 51. .
- 2006. Towards better scientific communication in urban climate. Theoretical and Applied Climatology 84: 179–190. .
- 1999. The energy balance of central Mexico city during the dry season. Atmospheric Environment 33: 3919–3930. , , , .
- 2010. Challenges associated with classifying urban meteorological stations: the Oklahoma City Micronet example. The Open Atmospheric Science Journal 4: 88–101. , , .
- 2000. Quality assurance procedures in the Oklahoma Mesonet. Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 17: 474–494. , , , , .
- 2002. The Tornadoes of 3 may 1999: event verification in central Oklahoma and related issues. Weather and Forecasting 17: 362–381. , , .
- 2009. Newly Developed “Thermal Climate Zones” for Defining and Measuring Urban Heat Island “Magnitude” in the Canopy Layer, Timothy R. Oke Symposium, Phoenix, AZ, 11–15 Jan 2009. American Meteorological Society: Boston, MA. , .
- United Nations Human Settlements Program. 1997. Human settlements basic statistics 1997. Online available at www.unhabitat.org/unchs/english/stats/contents.htm. Accessed September 2009.
- United Nations. 2003. World urbanization prospects—2003 revision. Online available at www.unpopulation.org. Accessed September 2009.
- United States Census Bureau. 2009. Metropolitan and micropolitan statistical area population and estimated components of change. Online available at http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/files/2008/CBSA-EST2008-alldata.csv (April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2008). Accessed September 2009.
- 1975. A study of the effect of wind shear on a heat island circulation characteristic of an urban complex. Monthly Weather Review 103: 27–33. .
- 2007. Low-Level winds in tornadoes and potential catastrophic tornado impacts in urban areas. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88: 31–46. , , , .