Special Issue Article
Beyond polar bears? Re-envisioning climate change
Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Communicating weather information and impacts
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 196–208, June 2010
How to Cite
Manzo, K. (2010), Beyond polar bears? Re-envisioning climate change. Met. Apps, 17: 196–208. doi: 10.1002/met.193
- Issue online: 17 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 22 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 19 FEB 2010
- Manuscript Received: 1 DEC 2009
- 2007a. How Old Masters are Helping Study of Global Warming. The Guardian, 1 October; 15. .
- 2007b. UN Scientists Urge Carbon Tax to Fight Global Warming. The Guardian, 17 November; 6–7. .
- 2008. Drawing Blood. The Guardian, 23 July; 9. .
- 2009. The Story of the Tag. The Guardian, (section G2, the 10:10 issue) 01 September; 13. .
- 2009. Floods, Drought, Famine…The Face of a 4C Hotter World in 2060. The Guardian, 23 October; 24–25. , .
- Australian National Climate Centre. 2009. Drought Statement, November: 1–4. http:///www.bom.gov.au/climate/drought/drought.shtml (Accessed 26 November 2009).
- 2008. Our Soft Spot for the Serial Killer of the Arctic. The Guardian, (section G2) 10 January; 3. .
- BBC. 2007. Live Earth (broadcast) 07 July.
- 2008. The cultural politics of climate change discourse in UK tabloids. Political Geography 27: 549–569. .
- 2009. Global warming photographs. http://www.climatehotmap.org/photos/photoallevents.html (Accessed 25 November 2009). .
- 1985. Victorians and Africans: the genealogy of the myth of the dark continent. Critical Inquiry 12(1): 166–203 (Autumn). .
- 2008. No Excuse for Inaction When Times Get Tough. The Guardian (Society Guardian), 16 July; 3. .
- 2006. Burning Ice: Art and Climate Change (Cape Farewell). , , , , , , , .
- 2009. Can an Artist's Wheatfield in Hackney Switch the Mood on Climate Change? The Guardian, 13 July; 21. .
- 2009. Buttercups and Cherry Blossom: By 2050 That Will Mean It's Spring…and New Year. The Guardian, 10 September; 13. .
- 2007. Ideological cultures and media discourses on scientific knowledge: re-reading news on climate change. Public Understanding of Science 16: 223–243. .
- 2007. Germans Go Nuts over Knut, as Zoo Marks Bear's Birthday. The Guardian, 05 December; 25. .
- 2009. Zoos in Court Battle over Polar Bear Knut. The Guardian, 20 May; 19. .
- 2009. Psychology is the Missing Link in the Climate Change Debate. The Guardian, 26 October. Available on- line at: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/cif-green/2009/oct/ 26/psychology-of-climate (Accessed 21 November 2009). .
- 2007. Picturing the Clima(c)tic: greenpeace and the representational politics of climate change communication. Science as Culture 16: 129–150. .
- 2000. Whose Hunger? Concepts of Famine, Practices of Aid. University of Minnesota Press: Minneapolis and London. .
- 2007. Cut Carbon by up to Third to Save Poor, UN Tells West. The Guardian, 28 November; 16–17. , .
- Flipside Vision. 2009a. Whatever the Weather…The Calendar of Climate Change. Flipside Vision Publications. Pureprint Group: Uckfield, UK.
- Flipside Vision. 2009b. Calendar of Climate Change 2009 http://www.flipsidevision.com/scc.html (Accessed 13 January 2009).
- 2009. Why I've Joined. The Observer, 27 September; 21. .
- 2007. Living on Thin Ice. The Observer Magazine, 4 March; 32–37. .
- 2009. Guilty Greens Admit They Could Do More to Fight Climate Change. The Guardian, 02 September; 1–2. .
- 2009a. Fewer Americans Believe Global Warming is Caused By People. The Guardian, 23 October; 22. .
- 2009b. By 2050, 25m More Children Will Go Hungry. The Guardian, 30 September; 16–17. .
- 2006. An Inconvenient Truth: The Planetary Emergency of Global Warming and What We Can do About It. Bloomsbury: London. .
- Guardian. 2007. Hot Spots—the Carbon Atlas. The Guardian, 15 December; 26–27.
- Guardian. 2008. Climate Change: The Fight Against ‘Green’ Fatigue. The Guardian (Society Guardian), 16 July; 1–8.
- Guardian. 2009a. 10:10 Starts Here. The Guardian (section G2, the 10:10 issue), 01 September; 2–19.
- Guardian. 2009b. 10:10 Supporters at the Campaign Launch with Their Pledges, The Guardian, 02 September; 20–21.
- Guardian.co.uk. 2007. Can Art Help Climate Change? http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/artblog/2007/jun/19/canarthelpclimate change (Accessed 04 February 2010).
- 2008. Zoo Leaves Polar Bear Cubs to Starve. The Guardian, 06 January; 5. .
- 2009. In Pictures: Hewlett's Watercolours. The Guardian, 16 October; 1–7 http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/oct/16/ jamie-hewlett-flooding-global-w (Accessed 21 November 2009). .
- 2009. Climate Cover-Up: The Crusade to Deny Global Warming. D & M Publishers: Vancouver. , .
- 2009. Why We Disagree About Climate Change: Understanding Controversy, Inaction and Opportunity. Cambridge University Press: Cambridge. .
- 2009. Stuart Jeffries Meets 10:10 Creator Franny Armstrong. The Guardian (section G2, the 10:10 issue) 01 September; 8–9. .
- 2009. The Beauty of 10:10 is That it's Both Achievable and Meaningful. The Guardian (section G2, the 10:10 issue) 01 September; 3–7. .
- 2008. Personal efficacy, the information environment, and attitudes towards global warming and climate change in the United States. Risk Analysis 28(1): 113–126. , , .
- Louisiana Solar Guys. 2009. Why Go Solar: Benefits of Alternative Energy. http://louisianasolarguys.com (Accessed 30 November 2009).
- 2009. Together We Can Make a Real Impact. The Guardian, (Saturday) 10 October; 1–4. .
- 2007. How Africa's Desert Sun Can Bring Europe Power, The Observer, 02 December; 18–19. .
- 2009. No more ‘business as usual’: Addressing climate change through constructive engagement. Science Communication 30(3): 299–304. , .
- 2008. Imaging humanitarianism: NGO identity and the iconography of childhood. Antipode 40(4): 632–657. .
- 2010. Imaging vulnerability: the iconography of climate change. Area 42(1): 96–107. .
- Nobelprize.org. 2007. The Nobel Peace Prize 2007 http://nobelprize. org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2007/ (Accessed 16 November 2009).
- Observer. 2007. Say Freeze: Why 600 People Stripped and Posed on a Swiss Glacier. The Observer, 19 August; 30.
- 2009. 'Fear won't do it': promoting positive engagement with climate change through visual and iconic representations. Science Communication 30(3): 355–379. , .
- 1998. Rethinking Geopolitics. Routledge: London and New York. , .
- Oxfam. 2009. Why We Need Action Here and Now http://www. oxfam.org.uk/get_involved/campaign/climate_change/ (Accessed 19 November 2009).
- 2009. Put on a Face. Professional Fundraising, October; 14–16. .
- 2009. Climate Change: Picturing the Science. W.W. Norton and Company: New York. , .
- 2007. 'If i look at the mass i will never ct': psychic mumbling and genocide. Judgment and Decision Making 2(2): 79–95. .
- 2007. Special Report: Global Warming. British Journal of Photography, 15 August; 29–32. .
- 2008. EU Aims for Moral High Ground with Swingeing Climate Change Package. The Guardian, 24 January; 14–15. , .
- 2008a. The Big Melt. The Guardian 02 January; 21. .
- 2008b. Wetter and Wilder: The Signs of Warming Everywhere. The Guardian, 10 December; 24–25. .
- 2009. Our Land is Dying. Climate Change is Here, It Is a Reality. The Guardian, 4 September; 16–17. .
- World Bank. 2010. World Development Report 2010: Development and Climate Change. The World Bank: Washington, DC.
- 2009. Getting our technological fix. In Climate Change: Picturing the Science, SchmidtG, WolfeJ (eds), W.W. Norton and Company: New York; 213–234. .