Special Issue Article
Public perception of and response to severe weather warnings in Nova Scotia, Canada
Article first published online: 23 APR 2010
Copyright © 2010 Royal Meteorological Society
Special Issue: Communicating weather information and impacts
Volume 17, Issue 2, pages 173–179, June 2010
How to Cite
Silver, A. and Conrad, C. (2010), Public perception of and response to severe weather warnings in Nova Scotia, Canada. Met. Apps, 17: 173–179. doi: 10.1002/met.198
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 23 APR 2010
- Manuscript Accepted: 23 MAR 2010
- Manuscript Revised: 22 JAN 2010
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2009
- 2003. Community vulnerability to tropical cyclones: cairns, 1996–2000. Natural Hazards 30: 209–232. .
- 1979. Predicting response to hurricane warnings: a reanalysis of data from four studies. Mass Emergencies 4: 9–24. .
- 2007. Trauma and short-fuse weather warning perceptions. Environmental Hazards 7: 220–226. , , , .
- 2007. Hurricane Katrina: African American children's perceptions of race, class, and government involvement amid a national crisis. Analysis of Social Issues and Public Policy 7(1): 191–208. , , .
- 2007. Panic attacks: Weather and season sensitivity. Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences 61(1): 129. , , , .
- 2005. Homicide in São Paulo, Brazil: assessing spatial-temporal and weather variations. Journal of Environmental Psychology 25(3): 307–321. .
- 2007. Disasters due to natural hazards. Natural Hazards 40: 501–502. , , .
- 2000. Human factors explain the increased losses from weather and climate extremes. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 81(3): 437–432. , , , , .
- 2009. Social memory and resilience in New Orleans. Natural Hazards 48: 355–364. , .
- 2009. Severe and Hazardous Weather in Canada. Oxford University Press: Ontario; 205. .
- 2003. Weather and suicide: The present state of knowledge on the association of meteorological factors with suicidal behaviour. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 108(6): 402–409. .
- 2008. The effects of weather on daily mood: a multilevel approach. Emotion 8(5): 662–667. , , , .
- 2004. An assessment of natural hazards and disasters in Canada: A report for decision-makers and practitioners. Journal of the International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards 28: 2–3. , , , .
- 1972. The influence of the weather on drug addicted and depressive patients. Confinia Psychiatrica 15(2): 149–161. , .
- 2002. Response to warnings during the 3 May 1999 Oklahoma City tornado: reasons and relative injury rates. Weather and Forecasting 17: 577–581. , .
- 2003. Actual versus perceived risk of hurricanes in Nova Scotia. Undergraduate honours thesis, Department of Geography, Saint Mary's University, Halifax. .
- 2007. People and community as constituent parts of hazards: the significance of societal dimensions in hazards analysis. Natural Hazards 41: 271–282. , .
- 2009. Natural Hazards and Disasters, 1st Canadian edn. Thomson Brooks/Cole: Toronto; 526. , , .
- 2009. Determining Sample Size, Document PEOD6. Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences: Florida; 7. .
- 1992. Severe local storms forecasting. Weather and Forecasting 7: 588–612. , .
- 2009. 300 Billion served: sources, perceptions, uses, and values of weather forecasts. Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90(6): 785–798. , , .
- 1998. Social Research: Issues, Methods, and Process, 2nd edn. Open University Press: Philadelphia; 227. .
- 2000. Weather, disorderly conduct, and assaults: From social contact to social avoidance. Environment and Behavior 32(5): 651–673. , .
- 2007. Hot weather and suicide: A real risk or statistical illusion? British Journal of Psychiatry 191(6): 560. , , .
- 2009. Tornado shelter-seeking behaviour and tornado shelter options among mobile home residents in the United States. Natural Hazards 48: 191–201. , , , .
- 2007. A survey of public perception and response to heat warnings across four North American cities: an evaluation of municipal effectiveness. International Journal of Biometeorology 52: 3–15. .
- 2010. Tornado warning dissemination and response at a university campus. Natural Hazards 52(3): 623–638. .
- 2002. Perceptions of severe weather warnings in Hong Kong. Meteorological Applications 9: 377–382. , .
- 2007. An in-person survey investigating public perceptions of and responses to Hurricane Rita forecasts along the Texas Coast. Weather and Forecasting 22: 1177–1190. , , , , , , , , , , , .